Marshall AVT275 replacement fans

What's Hot
doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206
Evening all!

Been moving about a bit for the last few years, plugged my AVT275 combo in this evening for the first time in a couple of years, and it's making an awful racket (no jokes please!)

Opened it up for a look, and it seems to be the fans. Seized bearings or something, they need replaced.

But I'm having a hard time finding some in the UK. Cheap as chips and easy to find in the US, I have a relative coming over next month, but I'd really like to get it sorted ASAP.

Any ideas where I can find parts like this?

Cheers

Doug
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    I am pretty sure it is a 40x40x20mm 24VDC brushless fan so you would need to measure it and check the voltage, but if so you can get them on EBay: 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24V-40mm-40x40x20mm-DC-2Pin-Cooling-Fan/263419617875?hash=item3d55086253:g:OugAAOSw0A9aTlF0  
    You would need to cut off the original 2 pin connector and splice it onto the new fan cables, observing polarity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206
    Turns out there are 2 40x40x10mm fans in there, so yeah, I'll check out amazon or somewhere for some. Didn't know they were a standard size. Thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71958
    If all else fails Marshall will still supply them I think.

I... er... cough ;)... have been known to 'fix' them by putting WD-40 into them, if it's too much of a hassle to replace them for a quick job and/or the customer doesn't want to pay for a new fan. You need to get enough of it into the gap between the rotor and the frame that it will reach the bearing. The motors are brushless so I don't think it can do any harm, and it does seem to work as a short-term measure - if the problem comes back you will need to replace it though, these amps totally rely on the fans in order to not cook the power ICs.

My personal opinion is that you should fix it any way you can and then sell the amp as quickly as possible...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Well, Marshall have just e-mailed me back. £2.74+VAT each, so I'll grab a pair.

Thanks for your opinion, I'll file it. :)
    doogz84 said:
    Well, Marshall have just e-mailed me back. £2.74+VAT each, so I'll grab a pair.
    That's cheaper than I remember, and well worth it. Marshall are actually pretty good for spares, and at least you know you're definitely getting the right thing.

doogz84 said:

Thanks for your opinion, I'll file it. :)
    At least it isn't a Mode Four ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited May 2018
    It's weird, I know it's not the greatest sound out it. My tiny little 20W Orange gets more use, but I'm kind of attached to it. 

People get attached to guitars, but I've lugged that stupid amp around to some fun places and played some fun gigs with it back in the day. I'll never sell it.

And yeah, cheaper than I was expecting!

I've never actually seen another one like mine. It's green. And doesn't have that big awful Valvestate decal on it.
    doogz84 said:

I've never actually seen another one like mine. It's green. And doesn't have that big awful Valvestate decal on it.
    They did them in a few colours at the end of the production run - I've seen green and blue, not sure if there are any others.

I don't think they're that bad-sounding either, but they're just quite a marginal design for reliability because of that fan-cooled power module - or two of them in the 275, which doubles the chance of failure.

Still, it's not as bad as the Mode Four, which has four of them and connected together in such a way as to not just quadruple the failure rate but almost guarantee that it takes out more than one at the same time... I won't even work on them, since I can't warranty them.

I see you're from Scotland. I bought it about ten years ago in Sound Control on Jamaica Street in Glasgow, before it shut down. They had blue ones too, but only in 100W flavour, not the 2x75W.

It doubles the chance of failure, but is it going to cook itself with one fan still running? If yes is the answer, it's a poor design, because if you have one fan and it's not working, you'll hear it. If you have 2, and one packs in, you might not notice.
    doogz84 said:

It doubles the chance of failure, but is it going to cook itself with one fan still running? If yes is the answer, it's a poor design, because if you have one fan and it's not working, you'll hear it. If you have 2, and one packs in, you might not notice.
    It's marginal enough that it would probably be a risk - they sometimes fail even with the fans working, and it's unlikely they would have fitted two fans if it only needed one...

If it matters, today I’ve just scrapped an AVT150 - basically the head version of the same amp - with both power modules blown, and both fans still working, although one is noisy... the owner decided he didn’t want to spend the money on it, and I don’t want to have to guarantee it to a buyer so I’m not going to fix it to sell.

Hopefully yours will hold up a bit longer!

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
    ICBM said:
    If it matters, today I’ve just scrapped an AVT150 - basically the head version of the same amp - with both power modules blown, and both fans still working, although one is noisy... the owner decided he didn’t want to spend the money on it, and I don’t want to have to guarantee it to a buyer so I’m not going to fix it to sell.

Hopefully yours will hold up a bit longer!
    Worth keeping the cabinet, surely?
    longjaw said:

It's already been allocated as a head sleeve for a valve power amp chassis a friend needs to house :).

On a similar theme my workshop test cabinet - and probably gigging cabinet, if I ever need one - is a TSL122 combo without the TSL bit ;).

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    edited May 2018
    ICBM said:
    longjaw said:

It's already been allocated as a head sleeve for a valve power amp chassis a friend needs to house .

On a similar theme my workshop test cabinet - and probably gigging cabinet, if I ever need one - is a TSL122 combo without the TSL bit .
    That's a coincidence my workshop test cab is a Valvestate 2 x 12 without the Valvestate bit - cant remember which model I've had it for that long!,