which pedal models first for blues/rock???

What's Hot
mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
edited May 2018 in FX
Ok gonna have a play with GSP1101 4 cabled to Lab Series L7 amplifier.  The stomp models are very close to real items so wondered out of the following list of OD/Distortion pedals would you put at top of list for Blues and Classic Rock sounds.  Will try em all over time so its just to focus the best ones to try first.  Recommendations of diff pedals for diff purposes in genre are welcome too.

full list of dist/od's in gsp1101.

Ibanez TS9
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Guyatone OD-2
DOD Overdrive Preamp 250
DOD FX13 Gonkulator Modulator
DOD FX52 Classic Fuzz
Pro Co RAT
MXR M104 Distortion+
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss DS-1 Distortion
DigiTech DGR Grunge
DigiTech DDM Death Metal
Roger Mayer Octavia
Demeter FUZ-1 Fuzzulator
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi

Ibanez TS9 (modified) (“Redline”)
Ibanez TS808 (modified) (“TS Mod”)
Fulltone OCD
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
DigiTech AmpDriver (DigiTech original design)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Obviously the TS9's and maybe 808's for SRV type sounds
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    MT-2. Assuming it has the parametric EQ. Keep the gain low and it's a very flexible drive, ramp it up and you get a decent fuzz.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    MT-2. Assuming it has the parametric EQ. Keep the gain low and it's a very flexible drive, ramp it up and you get a decent fuzz.
    Think the pedals have controls identical to originals.  Mt2 has low, mid, high and mid freq along with level and gain.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    Is the Lab 7 completely clean? I find that may of the TS derived pedals allow some of the dry signal through which IMO sounds bloody horrible - a TS808 (the modded one might be even better) into an already crunchy amp however would pretty much cover most Blues/Rock bases.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    For the bluesy end of rock, the Tubescreamers seem the obvious choice, and the Boss SD-1, which is similar.

If you want a 60s style Hendrix-y sound, try the Fuzz Face and the Octavia (which probably won't end up being your main sound, but might be fun used sparingly).

But yeah, try them all. Better to use your ears than the internet in working out what sounds good. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    The problem really is that ODs are best at pushing a valve amp and that won’t happen with your L7. 
    The Guyatone is supposed to work as a nice low gain drive. 
    The Amp Driver was Digitech's metal amp thing, at lower gain settings it does a sort of ACDCish Marshall in a box type thing.
    Can you 'stack' the ODs? In my head something like a TS model into the Amp Driver or OD2 would work. Or sound like a wasp, one or the other. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    ^^^ This assumes that the models in the GSP1101 work something like the real pedals, and interact in the same way.

The more I think about it, the more I think this question needs either GSP1101-specific answers, or the OP needs to make his own mind up.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

edited May 2018
    Gsp pedal models are very very good and do tend to react seriously like the real pedal.  Eg the TS9 i really find it hard to tell model from real thing.  SRV often used TS9 into a clean amp.

i will also be using gsp to do some modelled preamps too depending on needs (which also react similar to real thing ie when an amp cleans up with volume then model works similarly).

Lastly the pedals should drive the Lab Series in same way a valve amp works as the distortion circuit designed by mr moog reacts in a similar way and driving it harder causes it to react similarly to a valve amp.  Plus the lab series compression is at end so can be used to make it compress like a valve amp driven hard.  I can illicit Freddie king lead tones to clean just via picking strength and a slight hand mute so should react similarly to changes in input volume from a pedel or pedal model.

I plan to have lab series preamp cleanish so on edge of breakup and showing distortion on harder struck notes so pedal use can drive it harder.  I can also use gsp to drive preamp quite a large amount harder then bring volume back down before power amp as 4 cable.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    The Ocd for rock. If you can stack pedals then put a ts before it for solos or the dod preamp for a different flavour.
    ^^^ This assumes that the models in the GSP1101 work something like the real pedals, and interact in the same way.

The more I think about it, the more I think this question needs either GSP1101-specific answers, or the OP needs to make his own mind up.
    Only looked for general narrow down moat likely pedal models as the models are so close to real thing.  Just as a starter for 10 to focus my trials.  Will get them all trialed at length eventually but hope the answers will give us a head start to pedals that work well with those styles in real life with real pedals ;)