SOLO: just saw it!

What's Hot
lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
if you were disappointed by the last Jedi,
solo will be more to your liking. Good fun. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• As well done as Rogue One?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Closer to the adventure of force awakens and a lot lighter than rogue one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    God I wish they would just stop, they should have just left it at the original 3, the "prequels" were dire, the force awakens and the last jedi average at best,and rogue one was OK tho, obviously just my opinion but 100% accurate :D 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    lukedlb said:
    Closer to the adventure of force awakens and a lot lighter than rogue one. 
    I've got a bad feeling about this...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26457
    A few years ago it'd be unthinkable for me to say this, but I'm not bothering. I'll probably watch IX just for the sake of completeness, but...the simple fact is that all the books which they've now written off as non-canon were actually vastly better than anything that they've produced since 1983.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Had the option of seeing it with Mrs B tonight and chose Deadpool 2. Man, I’m glad I did - so very funny...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    The problem is that you can't just write them all off because Rogue One was fantastic, truly on a level with most of the original trilogy or maybe even [heresy alert] slightly better than a lot of it... although not as a stand-alone film, if that makes sense.

But I've said before that I think one of the reasons it worked so well was that - apart from brief appearances, one of which is actually one of the high points - Vader at the end - the original characters are barely in it. That allowed the film to develop its own identity and avoided jarring too much... which is exactly what this Solo film *won't* do.

I suspect I probably will see it though. But I do have a bad feeling about it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    A few years ago it'd be unthinkable for me to say this, but I'm not bothering. I'll probably watch IX just for the sake of completeness, but...the simple fact is that all the books which they've now written off as non-canon were actually vastly better than anything that they've produced since 1983.

The Thrawn trilogy was a bit shite plotwise (the Luuke clone) but covered that up with some good characterisation (so not far removed from the originals). Both TFA and TLJ had shit plotting coupled with new characters that were either wasted (Phasma) or paper thin. Star Wars had characters that connected to the viewer. The evidence of this is that the first 30 minutes of the movie are dominated by two droids, one of whom can't talk, and it keeps the attention. 

I'm totally happy to walk away from Star Wars now. The original three were great, I'll still defend the Phantom Menace because it's so bonkers, and the other two were mostly shite, but Rogue One acted as the perfect send off to an old fan like me. It brought something new to the table and honoured the original trilogy perfectly. TFA and TLJ offered so little in comparison. Old characters were dispensed with in such a blase way, new ones came in and out with no real sense of purpose (Snoke obviously)..

So fuck it. Star Wars now is for a new generation. It's my choice whether to stay on the bandwagon or to get off. Same with Doctor Who, same with the new Trek films. I rewatched Logan the other day and that's a great way to end this iteration of a character. If only Han Solo had gotten something similar instead of being saber'd by a whiny emo twat...

• brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    In my opinion Disney has managed to ruin starwars. George's prequel wasn't good, but for some reason these last few movies (maybe with the exception of rogue one), have been really really bad. I'm in no rush to go back to a cinema to see any of the new starwars or even the spinoffs. And that is saying a lot for a starwars fan. I genuinely wish they hadn't done it.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    but...the simple fact is that all the books which they've now written off as non-canon were actually vastly better than anything that they've produced since 1983.
    This. Basically George Lucas had too much power over the studios when the prequels were being developed and nobody told him to just shut the fuck up and make the Thrawn Trilogy as straight sequels set a few years after ROTJ. Would have been fantastic and based on a much more believable outcome after the collapse of the Empire.
    And then the Knights of The Old Republic stuff would have been superb material. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited May 2018
    Had the option of seeing it with Mrs B tonight and chose Deadpool 2. Man, I’m glad I did - so very funny...
    Was enjoying Deadpool 2 up until he said "I'd rather die of stage 4 cancer" as a joke, which I thought was ridiculous/childish/insensitive (obviously close to the bone for me but regardless....). Took it from a 7/10 to 2/10. Harumph.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Was enjoying Deadpool 2 up until he said "I'd rather die of stage 4 cancer" as a joke, which I thought was ridiculous/childish/insensitive (obviously close to the bone for me but regardless....). Took it from a 7/10 to 2/10. Harumph.

I can kinda relate in a weird and much less serious way. 

In the first one he says something like ‘I was out rounding up all the gluten so it can’t hurt us anymore’.. Obviously jokingly/sarcastic, but implying that it is harmless.  

Which I imagine is funny to people who didnt suffer from an autoimmune disease for years while being fobbed off and told I’m not ill. Anyway words can’t describe how ill I felt and for how long. 

But it kinda pissed me off. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    edited May 2018
    The books* are not that great either. I don’t think they would convert to film well

My favourite modern Star Wars story is Rebels... yeah, it’s a cartoon.  It gets the balance spot on.  It’s mostly new characters, and expands on the universe we know really nicely.  It finished with a nice set up for something new too

*The original EU ones with Mara, Jacen, Janis etc... some of the newer novels are quite good
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Ive booked tickets for Saturday night.  Its got the Millennium Falcon in it, how can it be bad?

Ive booked tickets for Saturday night.  Its got the Millennium Falcon in it, how can it be bad?
    Film opens with the Millennium Falcon. Film rapidly deteriorates. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26457
    WezV said:

My favourite modern Star Wars story is Rebels... yeah, it’s a cartoon.  It gets the balance spot on.  It’s mostly new characters, and expands on the universe we know really nicely.  It finished with a nice set up for something new too
    I stand corrected. Clone Wars and Rebels were absolutely brilliant - a really good reflection of the original series combined with the EU stuff.
    <space for hire>
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296

I was young when the original trilogy hit, but man did I fall for Star Wars in a big way.

I've come to a place where I want to see all of it. It IS a new generation, and you know what, VII, VIII and Rogue One were excellent IMO. Rogue One more so. I think Rey and Kylo Ren are fantastic characters so I like the new trilogy.

The prequels are decent, more so III.

It's Star Wars, therefore I love it.

I'm off to see Solo tomorrow after work....on my own for the first viewing.

I think Rey and Kylo Ren are fantastic characters.

Into the garbage chute, flyboy. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Taking my 9 year old to see it on Monday....we’re both jolly excited!
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I’m fairly confident that everyone who has identified what they enjoy in the Star Wars universe will be satisfied by solo. 
    I am being deliberately coy about the content of the film. A spoiler thread will be forthcoming once you’ve all seen it. 
    I took my six year old and he enjoyed it although he said it was a little long. There’s nothing that will put off kids nor are their elements that will put of adults. 
    For parents, solo is closer to being a star wars film you want your kids to see, a criticism held against last Jedi for failing to supply the joy and awe of heroism (rather than sacrifice).