Asking for a friend ...

What's Hot
... well, Nick actually, he's the bloke writing Java across the desk from me. Apparently there's this function in librxtx called CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifiers, he uses it to find what serial ports are available. I'm told it works on Windows, but when his product is run in a Linux environment it only reports /dev/ttyUSBn where n = 0,1,2,3. There are definitely others which you can see if you ls -l /dev/tty* (includes /dev/ttymxc4, /dev/ttymxc5). The existence of these others is crucial as the latter are the RS485 ports which he needs to tell me about so that my end of the software can use them. Does anyone know how getPortIdentifiers works, or what documentation might exist which would help us in getting this function to recognise those other ports?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Generally I tune down to E flat and then boost the mids. 

19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Generally I tune down to E flat and then boost the mids. 
    :-)

Any help?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @Fretwired yes, there are several like it but that is quite a good one. we have also established that when I did the apt-get install on librxtx (or whatever they call it) I did do it correctly :) the bit about System.setproperty strikes me as being highly relevant since it tells getPortIdentifiers what things it ought to be looking for - in our case /dev/ttymxc* as well as other things.

fanx!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    You mean any port in a storm?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Yeah right, asking for a friend, nudge nudge wink wink
    In the end we abandoned the idea of sniffing round the comms ports as that System.setproperty call tells it explicity what to look for (you can't just give it a base string or even say look for ttymxc*), which defeats the objective: if you have to tell it explicitly then you already know!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Did you honestly expect to find an answer to this on a guitar forum? Especially when you have access to the entire Internet and other dedicated forums.... :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Did you honestly expect to find an answer to this on a guitar forum? Especially when you have access to the entire Internet and other dedicated forums.... :D
    I found lots and lots of references to this problem with google, and knowing that there are several Java writers on this forum theres no harm in asking if anyone has found anything useful
  • randellarandella Frets: 4160
    I found lots and lots of references to this problem with google, and knowing that there are several Java writers on this forum theres no harm in asking if anyone has found anything useful
    This place is awash with programmers, to be fair.  A lot of internet forums are.

We're easily distrac...

Oooh look.  Crisps.  I'm going to eat those now.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom