0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9709
    Guitar sales might be increasing but guitar usage probably isn't
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    I was quite surprised by the numbers - more guitars sold last year than in 2009. Add in the growth in women taking up the instrument and the current popularity of acoustics, thanks to T Swift and Ed Sheeran and perhaps the future isn't as dark as some (me included) have prophesied.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5410
    Probably true everywhere except the UK...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Bah. Who wants to play stinky old boring guitar like everyone else in the world?

I say go for a unique trendy instrument that nobody else is playing and make it the next big thing.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    JezWynd said:
    and the current popularity of acoustics, thanks to T Swift and Ed Sheeran and perhaps the future isn't as dark as some (me included) have prophesied.
    Isn't that an oxymoron?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9709
    Jack_ said:
    JezWynd said:
    and the current popularity of acoustics, thanks to T Swift and Ed Sheeran and perhaps the future isn't as dark as some (me included) have prophesied.
    Isn't that an oxymoron?
    Sheeran has been called worse on this site
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Bah. Who wants to play stinky old boring guitar like everyone else in the world?

I say go for a unique trendy instrument that nobody else is playing and make it the next big thing.
    Wot? You mean one of them bass guitars, like wot you plays to serenade the missus?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    fandango said:

Wot? You mean one of them bass guitars, like wot you plays to serenade the missus?
    Oh goodness no. Bass is far too popular. You even get bass players playing with rappers, dubstep artists, “house” musicians and even those en vogue funk artistes.

I was thinking more flugelhorn or single stringed African penis bow
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    The guitar as we know it started life in the 12th Century. Swift, Sheerhan, whoever... good on them. 
    We mustn’t get the use of guitar in popular music confused with all guitar playing. Also, it’s not really our concern what guitar manufacturers’ profit margins are (unless you are a guitar manufacturer.) 
    There’s a lot more to the wonderfully rich world of guitar playing than Rock Bands with Gibson’s or Fenders getting on the Radio One playlist... Thank god.
    People all over the world are making music with guitars and will continue to do so for a long, long time to come.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72295
    This. I think it's unwise to see it as a resurgence in the guitar when it's now considered not unusual for a guitarist to own more than half a dozen guitars, and some several times that...

(Even taking HarrySeven out of the stats :).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    ICBM said:
    This. I think it's unwise to see it as a resurgence in the guitar when it's now considered not unusual for a guitarist to own more than half a dozen guitars, and some several times that...

Exactly go back a generation it would be 1... 2 only if really lucky.  Even some tweenagers have more than that these days
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    ICBM said:

True but a lot of those are vintage, ie. used, guitars. The headline sales figures are still pretty impressive, esp when there hasn’t been a big rock player for a long time. A lot of those kids buying their first acoustic will go on to purchase electrics further down the line.