£3.95 IKEA pedalboard!

What's Hot
mistercharliemistercharlie Frets: 333
I found this in IKEA today. It’s a plastic pedalboard! Brada pedalboard

Someone at my local IKEA is confused, because they called it a “laptop support,” but it’s clearly a pedalboard. Photos: It’s very sturdy, and has a rubber strip along the bottom of the rear “leg”, so it doesn’t slip. I paid €3.99. I should have bought the pink one, to match my Broadcast. Dimension 42x31 cm, and the rear is raised up 9cm. I’ve put a couple of strips of velcro on there, and it rocks. Not sure how it would hold up to lots of heavy stamping on pedals, but I guess you could easily bolt an extra batten across the back.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    What also works is a piece of MDF painted black.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    I bought one of their wooden build yourself crates, works well as the slots mean you can wire the patch and power cables underneath 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mistercharliemistercharlie Frets: 333
    Jeez, there’s no satisfying some folk.  :)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    octatonic said:
    This is true. I tried a simple piece of MDF but all my pedals sounded shit until I painted the board black.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    mart said:
    octatonic said:
    This is true. I tried a simple piece of MDF but all my pedals sounded shit until I painted the board black.
    Are those the original words to the Rolling Stones hit?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Presumably a bit lighter than MDF and it’s already black. 

The problem with DIY pedalboards always seems to be finding an appropriate bag/ case - although maybe a roomy laptop case would work with this! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    Would a heavier density fiberboard warm up the tone or go the other way and add some top end twang? Just wondering if there's anything to gain from using an increase in pressure during the manufacturing process or a higher viscosity glue?

Anyone know anyone in China who owns a wood processing plant who could knock me up some samples of Pedaltrain style MDF pedal boards, painted black (obviously), with varying degrees of density.

We could be on to something here...that or maybe it's the morphine. Either way I'll sleep well tonight.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    octatonic said:
    The set of 3 hard plastic, granite-effect chopping boards I bought from Lidl for a couple of quid proved to be good, too, and I used one of the medium-sized ones as a small, gig-bag board. Rubber feet, sturdy, plus a monkey grip handle and I just covered it in velcro.
  • mistercharliemistercharlie Frets: 333
    In further use, this is a bit too bendy to be used as a regular pedalboard, but as a way to keep things tidy on a desk it’s great.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Kebabkid said:
    octatonic said:
    The set of 3 hard plastic, granite-effect chopping boards I bought from Lidl for a couple of quid proved to be good, too, and I used one of the medium-sized ones as a small, gig-bag board. Rubber feet, sturdy, plus a monkey grip handle and I just covered it in velcro.
    AND.......if you get peckish you can always knock up a quick supper between numbers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    That actually looks really cool...might just get one for curiosity sake anyway.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I’ve used one of these for years, I mounted my Line6 M13 on it it’s exactly the right size and it doubles as a protector when in the bag over the switches. 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    I used to have a revolutionary approach that didn't even need MDF or chopping boards...

I put my footswitch and tuner on the floor with the usual gaffer tape for the cables and didn't bother with any other pedals. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    Ah - going to Ikea, having meatballs, and coming home with a load of plastic things to store in the back of the kitchen cupboard for you to find in a few years time and wonder why you bought them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I made a monstrosity from mdf for all my pedals and could barely carry it!

I knocked up a new board for a show tonight where I will be on bass. Tuner, compressor, OD, reverb. It's an off-cut fenceboard, wide enough, with fixings from the previous board (courtesy Johnny Shredfreak), and blackboard paint.