In praise of electric ladyland Bristol

What's Hot
DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7114
i stayed in Bristol this week as I went off to watch St Hubbins play in the big city. Our hotel was very near the old market area so I wandered up to visit the (in)famous guitar shop.

it was quite late but the owner Steve was smoking by the back door and invited my Mrs and me in. For those of you who remember the TV show Bagpuss - imagine the shop full to the brim with all sorts of random music bits, amazing Vintage Guitars, lesser known quirky ones, old hi-fi stuff and a lot more and that’s the vibe.

Steve is great to talk to, he’s not short of an opinion and is a real character - he also really knows his stuff. I could have chatted to him for hours but a pre gig pint beckoned , I invited him along but he was going to check on his mum so he gave me a run down of the local pubs instead.

A few things caught my eye so I said I’d be back the following morning before I headed home. We shook hands and I looked forward to seeing him again. Big Mistake !

Next morning I waited outside his shop for about 40 mins but no sign of him. A sign in the window basically said he opens when he wants to and stays as late as he fancies. I called the shop but the phone has been disconnected . He told me he hated the Internet and had refused offers from punters to set him up online for free but I didn’t realise his hatred for technology extended to phones too.

As I went to leave a local builder asked me if I was waiting for steve to show . He said I was the third person he’d seen hanging round that morning trying to get in.

Normally I would be angry that I couldn’t spend my money in there but there’s something about his total couldn’t give a shit attitude I admire. He was knowledgeable and friendly and didn’t once try and sell me anything - I’m definitely going to go back. God  knows how he can afford to keep the place running. 
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Glad you met Steve, I've known him since i was young and he's a real character. I often pop in an see him as I live in Bristol. He has some great stuff and is always open for a chat. Did you get a chance to check out his amp collection downstairs? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7114
    No unfortunately. He invited me down there but I had to shoot. I was hoping to see the rest of the gear the next day as well as possibly buy a nice semi !
  • No unfortunately. He invited me down there but I had to shoot. I was hoping to see the rest of the gear the next day as well as possibly buy a nice semi !
    If you go back definitely check it out, Its like a treasure cave. Just be warned Steve is not a sticker for health and safety, The stairs down to the basement take some serious navigating  :)
  • i was there Tuesday... often pop over and see steve do some trades etc...hes a great bloke and very knowledgeable..
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5013
    I only visited his shop once, many years ago. He told me that all the very best pieces went under his bed for his pension (sensible chap) and he also came out with that great line “I’ve forgotten more about vintage guitars than you’ll ever know”! Probably true as well.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I went in once recently....I side shuffled in past the walls of WEM Columns and old amps....only to meet a very bewildered looking DHL man coming the other way so I had to shuffle out again to let him pass!! I was in there a good 5 minutes before I heard a noise from downstairs then Steve appeared. Nice guy, obviously didn't suffer fools AT ALL and a great shop!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 452
    Just to resurrect this thread - I'm down in Bristol shortly to drop my youngster off to start uni. What guitar shops does any one recommend in Bristol - this one looks like a real find, if it is open still. Any others? 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    MikeC said:
    Just to resurrect this thread - I'm down in Bristol shortly to drop my youngster off to start uni. What guitar shops does any one recommend in Bristol - this one looks like a real find, if it is open still. Any others? 
    Hey Mike - what's your youngun studying? I'm dropping my son off too on Saturday afternoon 
    Red ones are better. 
  • I'm no help on Bristol guitar shops but if my lottery numbers came up I'd be starting a shop like this
    Timmy, she’s doing chemistry. Party animal with brains. Go figure. Neither came from me! 
  • Coincidentally I dropped my daughter off on Sunday as well (music production and performance at bimm) and she's already found the Electric Ladyland shop and sent me a picture. She says it looks closed down, but reading the earlier posts on this thread it sounds like messy appearance and random opening times might just be the norm.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    edited September 2023
    MikeC said:
    Timmy, she’s doing chemistry. Party animal with brains. Go figure. Neither came from me! 
    Cal is doing Maths & Philosophy. Got a place in Hiatt Baker hall. 
    Red ones are better. 
    My Ellie is in badock..
    edited September 2023
    So, popped in to electric ladyland today. No sign of anyone, was just about to leave when Steve opened up the back door. So in I went to the Alladin’s cave, back in time to the mid 70’s. 

An angry call from the wife in the car outside 45 minutes later asking me where the fuck I was jolted me back to reality. 

Steve was exactly as described above. Quite a character and gracious with his time and stories. I got the full guided tour of I think at least 4 maybe 5 floors of wall to wall stuff. Bits and bobs of amps and guitars, basses, mixing desks, I’ve only read about. Rare ampeg basses, tick, a random 1930’s Gibson, tick, old gretsches, tick, obscure Burns guitars in bits, tick,  Kustom tuck and roll amps, tick - the list goes on. 

At the top floor I looked up at the rafters and there were rows and rows of vintage speakers staring back, Marshall, hi watt, vox, sound city, fender heads and lots of other stuff. Really hard to take it all in. I think you need a good few hours to sniff around. He doesn’t make it easy, it’s a sort of a test to see what you can find. He not only knows his stuff, but also the value of it all. 

We started negotiating on an old Antoria firebird that needed work, and a sound city studio 20 amp, and an ampeg reverberocket,  but I think that may have taken a while to conclude, so I’ll have to go back another time. He’s always keen on a good px. 

He’s currently doing erratic hours from about lunchtime as and when, knock hard on the metal sheeting next to the back door and he’ll hear you if he is in. No phone, no internet. 

Will fill you in on part 2 when / if I make it back. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He is a character is Steve, it’s almost like he doesn’t want to sell stuff. It truly is an Aladdins cave, it is very hard to concentrate, it’s a few years since I was there last, but your eyes are darting everywhere, looking at things you’ve never seen before, guitars are just leaning against one another, no precious “ I’ll get that down for you” of the music megastores. I would encourage anyone ever near to Bristol to seek it out, but as Mike says leave yourself some time.
  • Sounds great!
  • Steve's a good guy, straight to the point no BS kind of attitude. @MikeC did you go down to the basement? Theirs some seriously interesting amps down there
    Yes, basement and top floor - too much to take in!!