Unexpected NGD

What's Hot
DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
edited May 2018 in Guitar
I did not intend to win this on eBay... i placed a couple of bids thinking that the highest bidder would have covered themselves with a minute to go and then low and behold i won it!!!

So it is a 2002 Toronado, part of the Deluxe series made in Mexico. It weighs just less than my AV65 Jaguar at just over 6lb. It is in very good condition with what looks like a ding or a factory imperfection on the top middle bout and a finish crack at the heel. I was pleasantly surprised how round it sounds with a satisfying ring to the strings.... Also no fret buzz... The only things i am not too keen on are a) the pearloid pickguard which i would want to change to mint or tortie and b) the control knobs. i would have also wanted to find one in Olympic White however after seeing another Toronado refinished in Seafoam Green i am thinking that may be the way to go in the future if this truly turns out to be a keeper
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Absolutely lovely! Nice surprise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5457
    I had major GAS for the Toronado when they came out. Great score!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Great looking guitar   nice win, wouldn't quite call it an unexpected or unintended one tho as you did actually place a bid :P
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    From the photo posted in/by the OP, it looks great as it is, and I would keep the pearloid pickguard, as it really goes with the body colour. Just my tuppence worth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Great looking guitar   nice win, wouldn't quite call it an unexpected or unintended one tho as you did actually place a bid :P
    Haha, yes indeed, there is that ;) It was unexpected that no one else decided to jump in during the last minute based on previous experiences with eBay, but I am glad how it turned out.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    You have an avri jag that weighs just over 6lbs?!?!?!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    A Gibsoncaster! The perfect Fender
    You have an avri jag that weighs just over 6lbs?!?!?!
    A smidge over 7 admittedly...

roberty said:
    A Gibsoncaster! The perfect Fender
    One day I may buy an SG again, one day...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    That looks really cool!  Nice acquisition!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26914
    Nice! Possibly the perfect punk-rock alt-whatever guitar
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Oooooooh, that’s really rather lovely. Well done on the NGD buddy. Much kudos. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    I agree with @fandango ; - it looks really good the way it is. I wouldn't change anything about its appearance.

I agree with @fandango ; - it looks really good the way it is. I wouldn't change anything about its appearance.

Yeah, I will be keeping it as is for a bit before deciding on changes if any... The only thing I might do in future is add some bucker sized P90s or similar but we will see :)
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2876
    Nice 
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    Wow. That looks cool as it is but seafoam green might be even better!
    Link to my trading feedback
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited May 2018
    Cool guitars,never played  one.always fancied one  though. Slap a bigsby on maybe,for added kudos
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Looks great and I am another who would keep the scratchplate.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    Nice guitar.

Are you sure your scales aren't buggered? :) All the ones of these I've played, and all Jaguars too, are much heavier than that - around 8lbs give or take a bit...

I would also keep the pickguard, but change the knobs to Fender BF amp 'witch hats'. If you must change it, tortoise would be much better and more appropriate to the design than that vile off-green colour ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Nice guitar.

Are you sure your scales aren't buggered? :) All the ones of these I've played, and all Jaguars too, are much heavier than that - around 8lbs give or take a bit...

I would also keep the pickguard, but change the knobs to Fender BF amp 'witch hats'. If you must change it, tortoise would be much better and more appropriate to the design than that vile off-green colour ;).
    Well i tested them with a 1kg bag of sugar and it reads as 1kg or just a smidge over. I am equally as surprised and yet suspect it is probably closer to 7lb as it feels similar if a little lighter to my Jag ;)

Yeah i am thinking Fender witch hats, possibly the BF ones or maybe the white variety depending on whether i change out the pickguard (which i will admit i am getting used to), plus it seems to be difficult to find a decent replacement guard without spending a bit of money!