Squier affinity neck/board finish?

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
My first venture into maple boards/tele’s saw me pick up a cheap affinity tele to see if I liked it.. which I do. 

The neck and board feel to me unfinished, but are they? 
I’ve heard of unfinished necks before though, but presumed all maple fretboards were lacquered.   

Anyway I quite like it as it feels smooth and my fingers arent getting as much drag on the board as they do on other rosewood types I have.

Was considering an upgrade to a Fender mim tele which pmt currently have for the £450 mark, but wondered if the fretboard finishes on these are heavier/thicker? 

Guess I’ll have to get down and see for myself mind you. 
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9658
    I've got a MIM Tele and a US Tele. They both have a thicker finish than the Affinity Tele I used to own which, as you've already said, appears to be unfinished. I've never noticed any 'drag' with any of them although I know some people claim lacquered maple boards do 'drag' more than rosewood. Personally I've always preferred both the feel and look of maple. Guess it's a case of getting out there and trying a few.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    Cheers bud! I figured that might be the case. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I think they're catalysed polyurethane, has a satin or matt look and feels smooth and is pretty hard-wearing. It's clear or near-clear so the necks have a pale untinted look to them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9658
    edited May 2018
    skunkwerx said:
    Was considering an upgrade to a Fender mim tele which pmt currently have for the £450 mark, but wondered if the fretboard finishes on these are heavier/thicker? 

Also, unless you absolutely have to have 'Fender' on the headstock it's probably worth taking a squizz at the Squier CV Telecaster, and the G&L Tribute ASAT Classic. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • jimboflojojimboflojo Frets: 122
    Im with Billkat on the squier necks- they definitely have a thin satin finish. I had one and buffed the neck up a bit which gave it a bit more of a glossy look. They'e great necks
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3437
    My Standard had a satin neck, its was really lovely.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.