Saw Tommy Emmanuel last night...WOW

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16095
Saw him play a fairly intimate gig at the Union Chapel in Islington
Remarkable honed skill and musicality ...his sense of timing and rhythm is as phenomenal as his fretboard dexterity.
The fullness of sound from him playing three different parts at once is just amazing -it's like he has a whole orchestra behind him.....somehow the tone of the guitars he played made a horn section sound to fill the mids.
Support guitarist act was exceptional too but then you would have to be pretty special to stand on the same stage without severe embarrassment .
He always comes across as a very nice guy too.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited May 2018
    ...is that the bloke that designed Princess Diana's wedding dress?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Really sad.........I just heard his brother Phil died last night -he was also a great player
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited May 2018
    Saw Tommy E play in Birmingham last year or was it 2016 (memory is a little hazy). Support was Clive Carroll.

Technically, the best guitar players/musicians I've had the privilege of watching/hearing live. Absolutely Brilliant. You can't pigeonhole either of them into any genre, but you can try define them by what they don't play.

As far as I know Tommy E can't read music! Does it all by ear. I think/assume Clive Carroll was/is classically trained.
  • I was there too! Amazing gig.

Very sad news about Phil though.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I love his playing, I wish I'd known about that.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    I’ve seen him live a couple of times, really amazing player. Sad news about his brother.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    57Deluxe said:
    ...is that the bloke that designed Princess Diana's wedding dress?
    I think you're mixing him up with the guy who played at Di's funeral, Elton Emmanuel. 
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    edited May 2018
    Never seen him live. Awesome player and a really decent bloke.  
    Adjusts a fan's acoustic.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    gracious superstar......
    Very much the icon of Acoustic guitar
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    fandango said:
    Saw Tommy E play in ... 2016 (memory is a little hazy). Support was Clive Carroll.
    That was the early 2016 UK tour. 

Dominic said:
    Support guitarist act was exceptional too but, then, you would have to be pretty special to stand on the same stage without severe embarrassment. He always comes across as a very nice guy too.
    T.E. tends to be very generous towards his opening acts. They join him on stage for a duet, trio or whatever is appropriate. 

On the occasions when I have seen T.E. live, the only cringeworthy portion of the evening has been when he brings family members on stage. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited May 2018
    Saw him live with Martin Taylor. Both brilliant. But Tommy stands there alone on stage, just him and his guitar, no vocals, no special effects, and just plays beautifully with the honest laid back ease that only an Aussie can do, with not an ounce of arrogance, just his genuine love of playing his guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849
    I saw him on the tour with Martin Taylor, also another tour with Craig Ogden.  Top player and a decent guy too.  On the Taylor tour I stopped in my seat waiting for my mate after the gig, Tommy came out to sign a few things for someone.  While he was there I asked about the old mahogany Martin he had played.  It was a gift from Chet.  He picked it up, passed it to me for a quick strum and told me the story behind it.  You just get the feeling he is obsessed by the instrument and what he can do with it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    A local muso I know (who used to work the sound desk at a venue near me) posted on Facebook that he was playing a little acousic folk night in a small pub in Marlow the night before. Between songs he looks over and says to a guy sitting watching the set, "you look a lot like Tommy Emmanuel". He replies; "because I am!". They proceed to play a few songs together, there's a video he posted of one song and he's absolutely killing it, even on the fly.