'Ere, what do you know about in-ear monitoring?

We're setting up a rehearsal space and what to be able to play with headphones. What's the most cost-effective way of bass, two guitars, vocals and an electronic drum kit to all be monitored by all players?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Do you each need your own mix and if so do you need mono or stereo?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    I guess whatever is simplest. We don’t need it for anything precise. We just want the ability to rehearse without making a racket to our neighbours.

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited May 2018
    Just one transmitter and however many receivers you need then. If you don't need a different mix each that'll be fine. Most mixer desks will allow you to set a slightly different mix for monitoring compared to the broadcast sound so you can accentuate vocals and guitars, for that you'd need a stereo / twin input transmitter and two different aux channels on the desk. 

Will the drums be mic'd or not? If not they won't be on the mix obviously.

*Edit - electric drums. Missed that bit. Assuming they're through the PA no problem* 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    We haven't got any set up yet. So we'd need a mixer desk, and then transmitters and receivers? I don't know much about this, so what kind of transmitters would we need?

Our setup is a behringer XR-16 which gives you 4 mono aux mixes. Each member can control their own mix via android / iphone app. The drummer uses a powered wedge but eveyone else then runs wired Behringer Powerplay P1 into IEMs (shure 315's in my case but other guitarist uses closed back headphones and singer has 215s).

The band collectively own the mixer which was about £350 then each person bought their own stuff to connect, so for me that was around £140 for the IEMS plus £40 or so for the powerplay.

I dont see the point in wireless until you can get a bi-directional system for snesible money (ie/ carrying monirot signal one way and guitar signal the other) so I could be completely untethered.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282

I dont see the point in wireless until you can get a bi-directional system for snesible money (ie/ carrying monirot signal one way and guitar signal the other) so I could be completely untethered.
    Good point. Why doesn't anyone produce such a thing??
    I looked and Shure make something but its about £800
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I use shure 215s, which are about the cheapest IEMs at around £85. Pretty decent

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    ijonty said:
    We haven't got any set up yet. So we'd need a mixer desk, and then transmitters and receivers? I don't know much about this, so what kind of transmitters would we need?
    Sorry if I'm being idiotic - still unsure of what my shopping list should be. If you can help, I'd really appreciate it! Pretend I know nothing about anything. Which is pretty much where I'm at with this stuff...

Our setup is a behringer XR-16 which gives you 4 mono aux mixes. Each member can control their own mix via android / iphone app. The drummer uses a powered wedge but eveyone else then runs wired Behringer Powerplay P1 into IEMs (shure 315's in my case but other guitarist uses closed back headphones and singer has 215s).

The band collectively own the mixer which was about £350 then each person bought their own stuff to connect, so for me that was around £140 for the IEMS plus £40 or so for the powerplay.

Cheers for this. So just because all this is new to me, basically you've got:
    • A digital mixer
    • each person has an In-Ear Monitor Amplifier
    • each has own headphones
    Is that right?

I'm not sure what a powered wedge is though?

And another daft question: do guitars and pedal boards plug straight into the mixer?

ijonty said:

Cheers for this. So just because all this is new to me, basically you've got:
    • A digital mixer
    • each person has an In-Ear Monitor Amplifier
    • each has own headphones
    Is that right?

I'm not sure what a powered wedge is though?

And another daft question: do guitars and pedal boards plug straight into the mixer?
    Powered wedge is jsut a speaker with an amp in it, they usually triangular so that they point upwards. Theyre what you see at the front of the stage in concerts usually. Personally I prefer using the IEMs to the wedge but drummer is a traditionalist.

We mic our guitar amps and put the mic signal into the mixer but if you have a pedal that has an amp sim or similar or a modelling pedal then you could get reasonable results going straight in im sure. Would be a waste of owning a diezel amplifier in my case though :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

Powered wedge is jsut a speaker with an amp in it, they usually triangular so that they point upwards. Theyre what you see at the front of the stage in concerts usually. Personally I prefer using the IEMs to the wedge but drummer is a traditionalist.

We mic our guitar amps and put the mic signal into the mixer but if you have a pedal that has an amp sim or similar or a modelling pedal then you could get reasonable results going straight in im sure. Would be a waste of owning a diezel amplifier in my case though :D
    Ah, I see. Perhaps I'm looking for a slightly different purpose to you then. The reason we want monitors is that we don't want noisy amps disturbing other people in the house.

So we'd be listening with headphones instead of playing sound through amps, rather than both.

We don't have modelling pedals though, just normal ones.

So would we actually need to play through our amps at a volume that wouldn't disturb the rest of the house, then use monitors, and turn up the volume in those? Or does that not work doing it that way?