New Desktop PC - Do I need an antivirus?

What's Hot
Last week I acquired a new desktop, very nippy and efficient! It has Windows Defender already installed on it and it doesn’t really slow down the system much.

On my old machine I used Norton but found startup slow and just general running really sluggish. Opening apps took over 5 minutes sometimes and even changing windows took a while.

Is Windows Defender enough to protect my computer? Some say it’s not worth getting a 3rd party antivirus such as McAfee and Norton. Others say they will do more than the built in one as they’re harder for hackers to work out, Windows Defender is preinstalled as standard on each machine.

Whats everyone using (assuming you’re a Windows 10 desktop user).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    I got an hp pavilion laptop a few years back with windows 10, which came with a years mcaffee antivirus (the 80 quid type) which worked perfect for the first year. 

When renewing over a year ago I opted for the cheaper £20 mcaffee which just didnt play ball at all. Constantly not working and not letting other things work properly. 

In the end I lost my rag, uninstalled mcaffee and have used windows defender ever since. 

It seems to be absolutely fine for me.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    I’ve heard negative reviews about McAfee so much I’ve uninstalled it from the machine!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5358
    OK, opinions are like arseholes, although some are better informed, but ...

Personally, I would say yes, you do need a half-decent third party solution.  I would also say that rules out McAfee and Norton. And AVG.

All of the business-class stuff tends to be prohibitively expensive for home use, but Sophos do now offer a "Home" version which is free (subject to registration) for the basic product, or low cost for the 'Premium' option.

Avast! also offer a free one subject to registration and renewal each year. At renewal it will try to get you to pony up, but it's not necessary (although there's an ethical argument at play, too).

Kaspersky is OK, although has some quirks, and it depends on how far you trust Russians :)

Windows Defender seems to get rave reviews in certain quarters, but IME is still pretty crappy.

Every other IT pro will have a different view, and all the home user will disagree with all of us vehemently. So do whatmakes you feel good ;)

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Windows is the world's most successful virus. Substituting Linux for it will get rid of a lot of problems for you.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

We've got three PCs running Windows Defender in our house without any problems.  We aren't scouring the nether reaches of the internet, and my daughters don't yet have email, so can't open any dodgy attachments, or click on any links in them.  They mainly just use Youtube, and play Roblox.

Unless you are going to go for one of the premium options I'd just use Windows Defender.  The free AVG gives you endless popups.  Avast is the other one I used before I ditched it.  That gave all kinds of problems with my wife's laptop - from memory, the machine would completely stop responding.  That was 2 or 3 years ago, so whatever bug caused it has probably been fixed, but I'm happy enough with Windows Defender.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    Avast, AVG, MacAfee etc have all had incidents in the past where they've had a false positive on a Windows system file and quarantined it, rendering the machine unbootable. As far as I'm aware, that's never happened with Defender (and you'd expect it not to in the future); that's a massive plus, I think.
    <space for hire>
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Snags said:
    although there's an ethical argument at play, too).

The argument of whether anti-virus software companies should be creating viruses? ;)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I would stick with Windows Defender. Microsoft have done a lot of work over the past six months in improving its success rate. We have been running it at work on our Windows 8 devices for years, and while our Windows 7 devices use McAfee (spit), we are looking to throw McAfee to the wolves and just go Windows Defender for all Windows 10 devices.

In the enterprise, Windows Defender is used on more Windows10 devices than all other AV products combined.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    I used to use AVG but it decided that the sole function of my PC was to run AVG, so it had to go.

I've been using the free version of Avast for a few years on a couple of machines and it seems to be fine.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4165
    scrumhalf said:
    I used to use AVG but it decided that the sole function of my PC was to run AVG, so it had to go.
    Which has always been my beef with antivirus software.  Slowdown, popups, it's like having a bloody virus only you're paying for it.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4684

I've had Malware and Virus in the past, none were quite as bad as anti virus software for my system.

Sence I've just used defender I've not had anything, but I only really go to places on the web that are safe (Netflix, youtube, BBC etc)
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    My main computer is always offline, and is optiomised for performance. I use other computers for online stuff and regularly reinstall them from a disk image.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    +1 for Sophos.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited May 2018
    McAfee business since year one. Never had a problem. Not sure where £80 comes from. I pat around £50 for three machines. My mum has a new laptop that has home version of the product that is easy to use and understand for a 90 year old and cost her £30 for a five year licence. It's lightweight.

Defender gets poor reviews and detection rates ... https://www.techradar.com/reviews/windows-defender

And remember McAfee is owned by Intel and was the Intel Security Group so the product has been rewritten. I run it on my music system with no performance hit whatsoever.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    The IT guy at my last place used to recommend https://www.malwarebytes.com

I've been using the free version for the last year now & so far, so good.
    Fretwired said:
    McAfee business since year one. Never had a problem. Not sure where £80 comes from. I pat around £50 for three machines. My mum has a new laptop that has home version of the product that is easy to use and understand for a 90 year old and cost her £30 for a five year licence. It's lightweight.

Defender gets poor reviews and detection rates ... https://www.techradar.com/reviews/windows-defender

And remember McAfee is owned by Intel and was the Intel Security Group so the product has been rewritten. I run it on my music system with no performance hit whatsoever.

The renewal for Norton subscription in July is £64.99. But yeah I think I attribute that to the various start up problems and slowing down of the system.
    duotone said:
    The IT guy at my last place used to recommend https://www.malwarebytes.com

I've been using the free version for the last year now & so far, so good.
    I've seen this and used the free version previously on my old machine.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    If you aren't going to dodgy places then the built in protection of Windows 10 is fine. 

You can install the free version of Malwarebytes and run the occasional scan. 

I wouldn't go near Norton, Mcafee or Kaspersky, they are paid malware, such an utter pain and an eater of performance. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    If you aren't going to dodgy places then the built in protection of Windows 10 is fine. 

You can install the free version of Malwarebytes and run the occasional scan. 

I wouldn't go near Norton, Mcafee or Kaspersky, they are paid malware, such an utter pain and an eater of performance. 
    Usual sites for me Fb, YouTube, gmail etc. Use a bit of open office documents and music scoring software (Sibelius, Neck Diagrams) and Spotify. I'm not a gamer or anything like that.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I like webroot
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.