First Hardware Synth

What's Hot
Im really getting into some of my VST synths but the hardware bug is really taking hold. VST synths are fine but I think Ill learn more from some tactile knob twiddling.
Id like something analogue that can integrate with a DAW , so far Ive seen 
Korg Minilogue, heart is screaming to buy one but head says youve got bills to pay sunny Jim.
Korg Monologue, a bit cheaper but maybe a bit more limited. This could be a good thing as it might focus me rather than let me loose with more than I can handle.
Novation Bass Station 2 .

Any other suggestions that I should check out?
Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I have owned the bass station and currently have the monologue, I have to say its a phenomenal synth, and no way something you could class as basic or beginners, it's a truly flexible mono synth, with some really unique features, the best is the fact you can record live motions to your sequences something it many synths don't allow you to do,  I also have a novation mininova which is an awesome bit of kit.
    If you're close to the Midlands you're welcome to have a play with them to get the feel, :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    The new Behringer Model D is very tempting. 
    @JezWynd it really is they're doing some fantastic things at the mo 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I'm very interested in the monologue, I think I got a bit blinded by the Minilogue with all the good reviews and sort of thought the monologue  might be inferior in some way. I've just watched a YouTube video and my mind has changed completely. there's an ex demo one for sale in a shop near me thats looking very tempting but I don't want to just jump on it without seeing what else might be worth looking into 

Im in Leicester @Strangefan thanks for the offer.
    The Monologue is tuned E to E which is interesting. Does it make anything easier/difficult?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    KORG Odyssey. Roland SH-01A.
    Be seeing you.
    Nope I have no issues at all with the tuning especially as it has a 5 octave range  
    KORG Odyssey. Roland SH-01A.
    Thanks but Id prefer keys built in

wife wouldnt notice as quick ;)

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Be seeing you.
    Unless I sell my Strat that's way out of my price range. I was looking at second hand Minilogue or new Monologue prices

If its your first synth the virus really isn't what you want, but a monologue is hugely tweak able and well set out  I would choose that over most others ..... As you can tell I clearly love mine, plus its very usable in a musical way, once you get to grips with the automation it can lend itself to most styles of music 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Have a look at the Roland Boutique's.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    I still say Novation KS are excellent for learning. VA but don't let that put you off, the layout is so intuitive, no sequencer but hook up midi to DAW.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    It's hard to see past the Monologue at the minute. Analog, step sequencer, titchy oscilloscope and it looks like my Triton midi keyboard which wifey doesn't notice 

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Did I miss the bit where you specified monophonic/polyphonic? You mentioned one of each. With analogues it's the #1 factor in pricing. Minilogue as a £450 poly is amazing VFM.

I like the Monologue, but the Minibrute 2 is worth a look - the patching opens up a whole new world (or can of worms, depending on your PoV). Very new though, so still not discounted below RRP, I think.

"DAW integration" suggests USB connectivity with a VST on-screen editor, which isn't common, but in any case, I don't think any of these analogues send their audio over USB, so you'd need to use your interface anyway. And if you get a knobby synth, you don't need an on-screen editor anyway.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    goldtop said:
    Did I miss the bit where you specified monophonic/polyphonic? You mentioned one of each. With analogues it's the #1 factor in pricing. Minilogue as a £450 poly is amazing VFM.

I like the Monologue, but the Minibrute 2 is worth a look - the patching opens up a whole new world (or can of worms, depending on your PoV). Very new though, so still not discounted below RRP, I think.

"DAW integration" suggests USB connectivity with a VST on-screen editor, which isn't common, but in any case, I don't think any of these analogues send their audio over USB, so you'd need to use your interface anyway. And if you get a knobby synth, you don't need an on-screen editor anyway.
    Not always strictly true.
    I have a Moog Sub 37 which is quite knobbly, but a few features are hidden in menus.
    The plugin allows you to access those features more easily.

goldtop said:

Im honestly not sure on Poly Mono, at this stage Id rather spend a bit less so Poly probably. Ideally Id like to be able to use it as a midi controller as well. Is that possible?

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I recently got a Minibrute 2s (the one with the sequencer instead of a keyboard) which I am enjoying muchly - I don't know if I would recommend it as a first synth though, as I think for the patching aspect of it it helps if you have a vague idea what you want to do which a newbie might not. However I suppose it would give you something to grow into. It's definitely a good sounding synth which can do both nice and nasty! The other thing is that I now really want another synth to cross patch with it...

For most synths in the OP's entry level price range the USB connectivity is only used for a MIDI connection. Also it should be possible to use the keyboard to control VST instruments etc. I haven't used a mini or monologue, but I think I remember from reviews that they have a somewhat strange MIDI implementation which might make the DAW integration trickier than with other synths. They also have reduced size keys, which may or may not suit you. I think, though, given the OP's requirements of a) a keyboard and b) mucho cheapness, the monologue is probably the best bet.

It's certainly a great time to be a synth purchaser - or alternatively a terrible time if you suffer from option paralysis.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Minilogue can do fantastic lead sounds as well as lovely pads. So id go poly for sure
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    I have Novation Mininova and I think it’s great value. It was a toss up between that and a Microkorg, which is a similar thing. Covers all the classic synth sounds. Like many electronic instruments it’s defined by the sounds of its era, and that sound is dubstep. However, it’s easy to program your own presets and you learn about oscillators, envelopes, filters etc. For me, poly is a lot more useful for a first synth, but I’d love a Monologue at some point. I’ve used the Mininova to play VST instruments in Logic as well. The keys are small, but that’s not likely to bother you unless you come from a keyboard playing background.