Any boxers on here?

What's Hot
grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
Recently fractured a few bones in my hand and finding it hard to stop exercising, anyone care to let me know how long it took them to heal?

i know I fractured two bones two weeks ago and since I left it almost a week before light sparring and weights then yesterday I hit the heavy bag and all felt fine until I took the wraps off and now it’s a crunchy mess. 

Am am I looking at a few weeks or months?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679

I'd say 4 weeks at least, 6 weeks ideally for bones to heal.  You'll end up with issues if you don't let them heal and they may set wrong.  I've not been back to boxing since breaking ribs about 6 months ago, but that's lack of time rather than waiting to heal!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Go consult a doctor.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    30 years man and boy, hardest game in the world boxing : )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Go consult a doctor.
    This. 

Don't mess around with things like this- especially as you're posting on a guitar forum so I assume dexterity matters to you.

I've trained through injury/gone back too early several times, it inevitably leads to longer layoffs than had I been sensible in the first place. 

Keep running, skipping & shadow boxing to stay sharp/fit but I'd guess you're looking at 6 weeks before ANY punching let alone heavy bag. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    Thanks guys. Yeah I’m a lefty playing righty and it’s my strumming hand that’s affected. 
    I’ll just have to go easy on it, it feels fine day to day almost no pain or aches so it fools me into doing more with it. 
    Not been to my doctor but I’ll see about getting an appointment. 

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679

Problem is bones can set wrong leading to arthritis, I delayed getting a wrist break seen to by 24 hours and it’s never been right since.
    Now I’d get any break or suspected break seen to asap.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited May 2018
    I read that boxing is one of the best sports for 
    all round workout. Don't fancy breaking my hand or getting hit, though. lol 
  • I read that boxing is one of the best sports for 
    Yup. Boxing is an incredible workout... But it can carry risks.
    I quit sparring after eating a big shot from a better boxer, getting a pretty nasty concussion & having a headache for three days. 
    I still grapple regularly, but my striking sessions are for conditioning & pads/bag only. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7104
    I quit sparring after eating a big shot from a better boxer, getting a pretty nasty concussion & having a headache for three days. 
    I still grapple regularly, but my striking sessions are for conditioning & pads/bag only. 
    I got more serious injuries and punches in the face in 1 year rugby than about 15 years of boxing. At least in boxing you are expecting someone to try and punch you !
  • I read that boxing is one of the best sports for 
    I got more serious injuries and punches in the face in 1 year rugby than about 15 years of boxing. At least in boxing you are expecting someone to try and punch you !
    You're obviously a better boxer than I am! I'm a grappler who dabbles as part of my MMA training. 

I got loads of scars etc from Rugby, Lacrosse, Mountain biking and other sports & very few from Martial Arts- I think it's the respect/trust inherent in combat sports but I'm getting older (nearly 40), have a proper job, small kids etc. I can't afford to be out of action. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7104
    You're obviously a better boxer than I am! I'm a grappler who dabbles as part of my MMA training. 

I got loads of scars etc from Rugby, Lacrosse, Mountain biking and other sports & very few from Martial Arts- I think it's the respect/trust inherent in combat sports but I'm getting older (nearly 40), have a proper job, small kids etc. I can't afford to be out of action. 
    Not better I just think I've got a very thick skull :-)

I remember once being thrown in with the navy middleweight champ at my club when I was training for a fight as a welter .  I was holding my own and keeping out of his way and the next thing I remember was standing in the showers with all my gear on including gloves.

Apparently he got tired of me making him look bad and landed a monster right hand on me as the bell went at the end of the session. I then hugged him , got out of the ring and headed into the showers.....

I wasn't allowed to drive home and had to call a mate to pick me up :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself