Fly rig suggestions needed.

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
It looks increasingly likely I’ll be doing some stuff later in the year that’ll involve flying and playing through whatever amp I get given. Consequently I’m looking into putting together a small board that’ll fit in my hand luggage sized backpack that I can plug in to any old amp and get some nice noises out of. 

It it needs a tuner, a drive (a low and mid gain dual drive would be nice), trem and reverb.

Its for country rock/classic rock/blues/Americana type stuff so I don’t need loads of gain. I’m used to using the controls on the guitar (a lot) so the drive(s) need to clean up well. Guitar will be either Strat or Tele.

The board needs to measure around 300mm (320mm max) otherwise it won’t fit in my back pack.

Any suggestions for a winning combination of pedals to hit the spot?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    edited May 2018
    HX FX? Or is that overkill?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited May 2018
    Fairly cheap - Polytune mini, dirt of choice (something that's not too amp-fussy so Tubescreamer, SD1, Klone etc), Boss TR2, Boss RV6 or Hall of Fame? 

Or a bit more flexible and possibly smaller but more money... PT mini (or other tuner of your choice), Strymon Sunset , Strymon Flint

Even more money - go KOT for dirt. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    edited May 2018
    If you could live without trem and use a headstock tuner, I don't think you could do better than the Tech21 FlyRig5. All-analogue effects: delay, reverb, a couple of levels of boost and overdrive in a slim box that weights nothing. A session player friend of mine has been using one recently for some flying dates, TV appearances and festivals where there isn't the space or budget for taking his regular massive board. I'm really impressed by it.
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/flyrig.html
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    sgosden said:
    HX FX? Or is that overkill?
    Sorry, should have said, I’d prefer to keep it as analog as possible. I accept that verb is likely to have to be digital but that aside.

Nice suggestion though otherwise :) 
    On the budget front, I’m not too limited within reason so KOT or similar wouldn’t be out of the question.
    Bebopper said:
    If you could live without trem and use a headstock tuner, I don't think you could do better than the Tech21 FlyRig5. All-analogue effects: delay, reverb, a couple of levels of boost and overdrive in a slim box that weights nothing. A session player friend of mine has been using one recently for some flying dates, TV appearances and festivals where there isn't the space or budget for taking his regular massive board. I'm really impressed by it.
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/flyrig.html
    Trem’s a necessity and I’ve never got on with headstock tuners.

I’ve heard good things about the FlyRig5 before though so maybe that plus trem and tuner pedals? All fastened together on a board might be too bulky though. I’ll look into it.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    edited May 2018
    Strymon Flint would nicely take care of both reverb and trem in one pedal. A Strymon Ojai would be a nice small but high-powered PSU. TC Polytune Mini. Drive very much depends on your own taste.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    @stickyfiddle Flint on the radar already as a solution to the rev/trem part. Spec looks great and seems to have a good reputation tone wise.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Personally I’d get an atomic amplifire but the older version Carl Martin Quattro with trem instead of chorus would be good.  

If if you want pedals then a kot and a flint on a pt nano - I’d add an el Capistan as well if you want delays.  
  • I have a Kotzen Fly Rig, Zoom Ms50 and Polytune Clip for these situations. I’ve been through a lot of different combinations to get here. It’s the way forward trust me
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Sonic Turbo Tuner -> KoT -> Chase Gravitas -> Strymon Blue Sky

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Carl Martin Quattro and a mini tuner. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

If you want really simple, you could just use a Zoom G2R. It worked for Richie Kotzen.

• Gadget said:
    If you want really simple, you could just use a Zoom G2R. It worked for Richie Kotzen.

To be fair I think he only used it for a bit of delay on one song when I seen him with it lol
    Gadget said:

To be fair I think he only used it for a bit of delay on one song when I seen him with it lol
    Ah, ok.
    A bit overkill for that I would have thought? Plenty smaller and more fully-featured dedicated delays available.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Mr Black Deluxe is combined tremolo and reverb but you’ll need the Deluxe Plus to have them separately switchable, although that’s still single stomp sized it’s in landscape.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited May 2018
    Some great suggestions here folks, plenty to look into. 

Just to reiterate, I am trying to keep away from digital modelling type stuff as much as poss. So amplifire, g2r etc not quite what I’m looking for.

Size is also an issue (she said), so the flyrig5 plus a trem would be too big unfortunately. 

Keep the ideas coming though please.
    octatonic said:
    Sonic Turbo Tuner -> KoT -> Chase Gravitas -> Strymon Blue Sky

Chase Gravitas! Wow! That’s pretty much the other extreme of tweakability to my current Mooer Trelicopter! Do you have one?
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962

Its kinda what I’ve done. All powered by a volto2 underneath 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Rowby1 said:
    Some great suggestions here folks, plenty to look into. 

Just to reiterate, I am trying to keep away from digital modelling type stuff as much as poss. So amplifire, g2r etc not quite what I’m looking for.

Size is also an issue (she said), so the flyrig5 plus a trem would be too big unfortunately. 

Keep the ideas coming though please.
    The flyrig 5 is tiny, will easily fit in a pocket on a gig bag.  One of those and a mini trem, like a mooer, and you wont get anything any smaller