Solo of the Month (SotM) #37 - Chat

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
edited June 2018 in Making Music
This is the 37th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge and is being run by @stratman3142 and @TTony.

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until 11:30pm on 23rd June 2018.

Here's this month's backing track (you can download it from soundcloud). Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Link to backing track here

Discussion: Things are getting heavy this month.

The tempo is 110 and the chords are as follows

[E5  G5  E5  F5  :  E5  G5  E5  Bb5 A5] x4
Stops: G5 : F5 : Bb5  : A5  (G)

Repeat the above

End On E

The backing track is 'very thick' so I've given it 6dB of headroom to add your solos. Add your solo and (as a guideline) try to avoid boosting the overall level beyond that if possible. That way the entries should be at roughly the same level and we won't get into loudness wars .

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline of 23rd June 2018, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
Voting will end on 11.30pm 30th June 2018
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends. If there are 8 or more entries, then the order and scores of those in the top half will be announced.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm37-2018-06

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    He are my thoughts on the solo, it would be good to hear other views and thoughts.

The basic scale that works for me is E minor pentatonic. Then the other notes that work for me are Bb which turns it into a blues scale, plus the notes C and F also work for me. So, in my mind, I end up thinking in terms of a bluesy E Phrygian scale.

It's not a competition.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    This month I am (really really) going to make time to do an entry (again)!!
    edited June 2018
    Done mine. I'll wait for another entry before I create the playlist.

I decided to go for a bit of Phrygian Dominant as well (i.e. adding a G#), which was inspired by @steamabacus and @Fretwired discussing it on the Composition challenge thread.

Pretty mindless shred, which will guarantee I won't get many points this month

It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Phyrigian dominant eh?

I had to look up E Phyrigian as I don't know the modes at all and saw it's the same notes as A minor... I did a few minutes jamming and that sounded a bit too "nice" so I tried A Harmonic minor as that's a bit more metal and it fitted better. I guess it must be the same thing! 
    edited June 2018
    Phyrigian dominant eh?

I had to look up E Phyrigian as I don't know the modes at all and saw it's the same notes as A minor... I did a few minutes jamming and that sounded a bit too "nice" so I tried A Harmonic minor as that's a bit more metal and it fitted better. I guess it must be the same thing! 
    Yes, A harmonic minor has the same notes as E Phrygian dominant.

It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Hmmm, may have to bust this out of the tool shed...

fastonebaz said:
     Next month full on rock??  Hold my beer, i have some shredding to do!

I've just remembered. The reason I did this backing track was because of the above comment in the previous SotM challenge.
    It's probably ended up a bit more heavy metal than rock - but I'm no expert on some of the differences between these genres.

It's not a competition.
    poopot said:

Really? You made one? That's awesome 
    fastonebaz said:

I've just remembered. The reason I did this backing track was because of the above comment in the previous SotM challenge.
    It's probably ended up a bit more heavy metal than rock - but I'm no expert on some of the differences between these genres.

I'm no expert either. I like metal but the only genres I use are "metal I like" and "metal I don't like". I'd possibly describe that track as "polite early Metallica meets Maiden metal".

Genre doesn't really matter though. We'll all do our best efforts and either Rowby, Brad or Stratman will win ;) (although I have high hopes for fastonebaz this month) 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    edited June 2018
    fastonebaz said:

Hold my beer @stratman3142 ;; I am keeping an eye on this one
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    My entry submitted ;)

Fluffy Bunny Hungry Horsie.

Rig:
    Front of amp
    Charvel So Cal pro mod
    Dunlop wah
    Boss NS2
    Maxon OD808
    Hughes & Kettner tubemeister 18
    FX loop
    TC electronic corona
    TC electronic flashback
    TC electronic hall of fame mini
    DI into:
    Cubase
    bit of post EQ

Single take, no overdubs.

Approach:
    It reminded me of an instrumental track I'd composed about 10 years ago and so I immediately had a solo idea in mind.  I refined the shape of it around the chord structure playing the first pass in E minor key and starting the second pass in E Major key.  Tons of wah, tons of whammy, tons of harmonics, and by chance tons of feedback at the end.

Cheers
    The first two entries are in the playlist in the original post. I'm starting to wonder what I've unleashed. Next month will be a return to normality.

It's not a competition.
    I'm starting to wonder what I've unleashed. Next month will be a return to normality.

Well i can guarantee that mine will most likely sound something like a rusty, tired Kirk Hammett on an off day after a couple too many Pernods.

Top shredding so far guys. And great riff @stratman3142 ;
    Another entry added to the playlist, so that makes 3.

It's not a competition.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    I figured I could keep trying to record a better solo but it's unlikely I'll become a better guitarist by 23rd June.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:

Really? You made one? That's awesome 
    No!!!! Found that pic on tinternets....

could have done with it tho’ achy hand now...

submission sent!.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just to add... done on a baja tele :) neck pickup, s-gear-logic!.
    edited June 2018
    poopot said:

submission sent!.

Added to playlist. 4 entries so far.

It's not a competition.
    Okay. I had some cool arpeggios/chromatic patterns mapped out for the breakdown bit... Then I discovered I can't play them at the tempo required so I just sent a scrappy creation instead.

All done with humbucker Tele and Boss GT 001 into Reaper with mandatory awful tone, OTT delay/reverb and some auto wah because I couldn't be arsed getting my pedalboard out of the hall cupboard
    edited June 2018
    Okay. I had some cool arpeggios/chromatic patterns mapped out for the breakdown bit... Then I discovered I can't play them at the tempo required so I just sent a scrappy creation instead.

All done with humbucker Tele and Boss GT 001 into Reaper with mandatory awful tone, OTT delay/reverb and some auto wah because I couldn't be arsed getting my pedalboard out of the hall cupboard

That makes 5.

This feels like it's turning into some sort of catharsis with entrants getting craziness out of their systems. Hopefully it's proving therapeutic.

It's not a competition.