Application forms, equal opportunities, etc.

What's Hot
Some of you may know I'm applying for a job at a local school as a Peripatetic Music Tutor, on the guitar.

I am in the process of filling out the application form, and in the last section there's a section to list skills, abilities, knowledge and experience. I think I've filled those out well but its the last bit that is bugging me.

It asks to provide examples I can demonstrate the Commitment to:

1. Commitment to and understanding of, the principles of Equal Opportunities for all, in employment and the delivery of services.

2. Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people.

I don't know what the hell these questions actually mean and what I'm meant to write. The second one I can put I have a DBS if that's relevant.

Any help would be much appreciated, I have to get this form in by 5pm on Friday!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Those kind of questions would stuff me up too, even though I've been on courses where they try not only to to define the terms but get you to behave as if you've fully bought into them.

Equal Opportunities is what it says: you're not debarred from an activity on the grounds of your sex, religion, skin colour etc. It might even mean they can ask you to teach guitar to someone who can't play it the normal way eg they've got an arm missing. You have to find ways around the problem.

Safeguarding AFAIK is you're supposed to suss if a young person's uncle or neighbour or priest is sexually abusing them, even though your subject is music and you're not a child psychologist. Tough call.

I went on a trial teaching session with a group of 10-11 yr olds, and afterwards I mentioned to the bloke running the session that one of the lads had something about him that suggested he might find fitting into the group a bit of a challenge. Mr Organiser seemed impressed that I'd noticed that lad, and said he comes from an extremely difficult background but he did seem to take to you, he hung on your every word, and you did your best to be helpful to him. I thought I'd got the job, but then they gave it to the bland-looking bloke with the tie. So it doesn't matter how good or how sensitive you are, you won't get the gig if your face doesn't fit.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    I've been self-employed for the past 10 years so job application forms look alien to me haha. I haven't been to an interview since 2008 I think.

I hate all this bullshit just prefer to get on with it but its something to do with laws and stuff.

For the second one regarding safeguarding I have a clean up-to-date DBS if that helps.

I feel I might be overqualified a bit cos the job spec wanted (as a desirable) someone with a music diploma. I've got a degree. I am hoping they will consider me cos I'm not that old and in touch with a lot of stuff in the charts/rock music. Knowing them they'll probably give it to the retired bloke with a classical approach!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    I guess standard questions, I’m not sure how fully formed they’d expect the answers to be for this post. 

Safeguarding is just what it says on the tin - making sure young people ( in this case) are protected from harm, abuse or exploitation. Whilst you’d understand that any activity contains an element of risk you would making sure that your teaching took place in a safe environment, that you were familiar with the school’s safeguarding guidelines and procedures and would always report any concerns. For example, if a child came to lessons in a distressed state. There may be information on line about the school’s/ LEA’s safeguarding guidance. A lot of local Safeguarding Children’s Boards will have information/ free E-Learning on their websites. You’d have to do Level 1 Safeguarding training if you got the job ( level 1 is for anyone working with children or young people, the upper levels for people who work in the field of safeguarding such as lead teachers). Understanding that safeguarding is not a ‘ go it alone’ process - you would always raise any concern with a suitable person. 

Equal Opportunities is a bit of an old fashioned term now (probably don’t say that) but you would be ensuring all students could access your lessons and benefit from them. IIRC you worked with challenging young people? You’d have some examples from that. Talk about having worked with a diverse group of people and valuing diversity ( even if just male and female students but across cultures, abilities,etc). You could read up on the Equality Act 2010 If you wanted. Generally avoid saying anything racist, sexist , ageist,homophobic,etc. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I guess standard questions, I’m not sure how fully formed they’d expect the answers to be for this post. 

Safeguarding is just what it says on the tin - making sure young people ( in this case) are protected from harm, abuse or exploitation. Whilst you’d understand that any activity contains an element of risk you would making sure that your teaching took place in a safe environment, that you were familiar with the school’s safeguarding guidelines and procedures and would always report any concerns. For example, if a child came to lessons in a distressed state. There may be information on line about the school’s/ LEA’s safeguarding guidance. A lot of local Safeguarding Children’s Boards will have information/ free E-Learning on their websites. You’d have to do Level 1 Safeguarding training if you got the job ( level 1 is for anyone working with children or young people, the upper levels for people who work in the field of safeguarding such as lead teachers). Understanding that safeguarding is not a ‘ go it alone’ process - you would always raise any concern with a suitable person. 

Equal Opportunities is a bit of an old fashioned term now (probably don’t say that) but you would be ensuring all students could access your lessons and benefit from them. IIRC you worked with challenging young people? You’d have some examples from that. Talk about having worked with a diverse group of people and valuing diversity ( even if just male and female students but across cultures, abilities,etc). You could read up on the Equality Act 2010 If you wanted. Generally avoid saying anything racist, sexist , ageist,homophobic,etc. 

Ah this is quite helpful, I wouldn't have thought of any of this! Will definitely mention about the safe environment, all this safeguarding bizz is quite long winded by the sounds of it.

Yes I have deal with stroppy teenagers so can definitely mention that as an example. Diversity and equality is something I'll be sure to expand on in my application but as far as I know its all legal bullshit they have to ask?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    I don't know that they have to ask it but it's very typical of public sector job applications. If you turned out to be a racist who didn't care what happens to children you probably wouldn't be an ideal candidate. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I don't know that they have to ask it but it's very typical of public sector job applications. If you turned out to be a racist who didn't care what happens to children you probably wouldn't be an ideal candidate. 
    Well I've put that I've taught all ages and cultures, from European to Asian ethnicities. Just want to make sure I'm putting enough on there to pick me!
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018

1. Commitment to and understanding of, the principles of Equal Opportunities for all, in employment and the delivery of services.

1. is to test-check you understand what this is in practical terms, beyond a generalised (& possibly woolly) understanding of them as ideas.

eg. have you any experience in mentoring/supporting/teaching students who may be considered to fall within the categories protected by eqality & opportunity legislation?

The protected characteristics: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/4

so that could be disabled students, learning difficulties (practical) or having worked with students at faith schools (ideological).

they want to show that you understand what the charecteristics are, and preferably can give an example (or examples) of how you have put this understanding into practice.

2. is an ongoing concern (future). the CRB etc just demonstrates that you have no history (past) of an abuse of the law within that area.

but going on (as a potential employee), show some awareness of agencies responsible for & committed to 'safeguarding and promoting welfare' of this group. if you have any experiences in any of these areas give examples (confidentiality permitting).

eg. if you noticed a young student appeared drunk/drugged (substance abuse issues)? or had cut marks (self-abuse) or bruises (abuse)?
    who would you refer them to? do you tell police first or parents (remember, the parents may be involved)?

& beyond the heavy stuff, 'welfare' also includes exercise, diet, personal hygiene.

this second one may require you to do a bit of research (that's the point, one day it may be your duty to know, though you will be given training & support if they feel you need it) or ask a teaching friend for a quick summary.

this may help https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/safeguarding/

well it's late, but that's what i remember from the days i had to know all this stuff.

this whole area is unfairly maligned & written-off as busy-body 'nanny state' stuff. people dismiss it with a 'yeah, yeah, yeah... i know' & happily tick boxes saying they understand.

but if a student breaks down infront of you & shows you a bruise & all you have to fall back on is 'yeah yeah yeah, i know'... when you actually don't?

they deserve better, so you have to be better. so that's why we do it. it's boring but important.

best of luck!
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    If you want a quick low down on safeguarding, or some examples of good practice, is be happy to chat through it with you. Best bet though is to read the schools safeguarding policy too. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3134
    vale said:

this whole area is unfairly maligned & written-off as busy-body 'nanny state' stuff. people dismiss it with a 'yeah, yeah, yeah... i know' & happily tick boxes saying they understand.

but if a student breaks down infront of you & shows you a bruise & all you have to fall back on is 'yeah yeah yeah, i know'... when you actually don't?

they deserve better, so you have to be better. so that's why we do it. it's boring but important.
    This^ 
    For the sake of your application there isn’t going to be an issue if you state that you’ve fortunately not encountered any serious safeguarding issues to date but in your own practice you ensure that there is always another adult nearby, that you are never alone with vulnerable students (parents sitting in on lessons out of school would be a good example). Also that you are aware that if you are successful in your application that your first priority would be to find out who the school’s dsl (designated safeguarding lead) is, so that you know who to report any concerns or disclosures to. Be prepared that they will almost certainly ask you about this in an interview, something like what you’d do if a child asks you to keep something they tell you secret -the answer is you can’t, you tell the child that you have a duty of care to pass on anything they say to ensure they are kept safe.

As for the equal ops bit, that’s all about your approach to education ultimately. So inclusion is your friend here -refer to times you’ve made your lessons accessible for those who are less able, from a difficult background, etc. So any work with disabilities or you mentioned youngsters with various issues above -pop them in as examples. 

Hope this helps, best of luck.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    IMHO, a demonstration of your commitment to Equal Opportunities would be if you could truthfully say that you made sure your own business has ground floor access so wheelchair users are able to be taught by you on your own premises. 

But I know nothing about working in these areas, or what their HR peeps would like - I'm just saying what would work for me. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited June 2018
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

1. is to test-check you understand what this is in practical terms, beyond a generalised (& possibly woolly) understanding of them as ideas.

eg. have you any experience in mentoring/supporting/teaching students who may be considered to fall within the categories protected by eqality & opportunity legislation?

The protected characteristics: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/4

so that could be disabled students, learning difficulties (practical) or having worked with students at faith schools (ideological).

they want to show that you understand what the charecteristics are, and preferably can give an example (or examples) of how you have put this understanding into practice.

2. is an ongoing concern (future). the CRB etc just demonstrates that you have no history (past) of an abuse of the law within that area.

but going on (as a potential employee), show some awareness of agencies responsible for & committed to 'safeguarding and promoting welfare' of this group. if you have any experiences in any of these areas give examples (confidentiality permitting).

eg. if you noticed a young student appeared drunk/drugged (substance abuse issues)? or had cut marks (self-abuse) or bruises (abuse)?
    who would you refer them to? do you tell police first or parents (remember, the parents may be involved)?

& beyond the heavy stuff, 'welfare' also includes exercise, diet, personal hygiene.

this second one may require you to do a bit of research (that's the point, one day it may be your duty to know, though you will be given training & support if they feel you need it) or ask a teaching friend for a quick summary.

this may help https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/safeguarding/

well it's late, but that's what i remember from the days i had to know all this stuff.

best of luck!
    My examples could be I once taught a child with ADHD, and another teenager who was very moody and once cancelled a lesson cos they locked themselves in their room all day. I had to have several conversations about their behaviour to their parents and I was given the lowdown via school teachers on their self-esteem issues as well. Do they count as examples?

Cheers for all the replies so far, I'd be lost without so many helpful people on here, imagine if I had just submitted it today without asking!
    vale said:

This^ 
    For the sake of your application there isn’t going to be an issue if you state that you’ve fortunately not encountered any serious safeguarding issues to date but in your own practice you ensure that there is always another adult nearby, that you are never alone with vulnerable students (parents sitting in on lessons out of school would be a good example). Also that you are aware that if you are successful in your application that your first priority would be to find out who the school’s dsl (designated safeguarding lead) is, so that you know who to report any concerns or disclosures to. Be prepared that they will almost certainly ask you about this in an interview, something like what you’d do if a child asks you to keep something they tell you secret -the answer is you can’t, you tell the child that you have a duty of care to pass on anything they say to ensure they are kept safe.

As for the equal ops bit, that’s all about your approach to education ultimately. So inclusion is your friend here -refer to times you’ve made your lessons accessible for those who are less able, from a difficult background, etc. So any work with disabilities or you mentioned youngsters with various issues above -pop them in as examples. 

Hope this helps, best of luck.
    Yes I've had several parents sit in on their child's lessons, I try to get them involved so they know what's going on in the lessons, more than it being a safety thing though.
    I had parents sit in on lessons so that they could help the child with practice. There's only so much you can write out for them, and only limited demonstration time. The parents can help (if they take enough interest) to prevent the child from practising the wrong thing - and they can be getting a free lesson for themselves.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    I had parents sit in on lessons so that they could help the child with practice. There's only so much you can write out for them, and only limited demonstration time. The parents can help (if they take enough interest) to prevent the child from practising the wrong thing - and they can be getting a free lesson for themselves.
    I've usually had parents drop their child off at the front door, then drive off without saying hello once I've opened the door!

I do try and establish a rapport with the parent, some come in after the lessons so they can see the teaching room but in the past most don't bother sitting in anymore, maybe cos they're bored.

I once had a parent bring their teenage son in for a lesson, I asked if they'd like to sit in, they said "yes why not, just this once..." 5 minutes into the lesson they got up and said "do you know what I'll just wait in the car instead, I'll knock 5 minutes before the end of the hour...." Ok then...
    teenagers don't necessarily want their parents to sit in, but I'd still recommend it for teenage girls. The parents I mentioned for helping the kid were those of junior school kids.
    teenagers don't necessarily want their parents to sit in, but I'd still recommend it for teenage girls. The parents I mentioned for helping the kid were those of junior school kids.
    Hmm maybe not. I have 3 teenage girls I do lessons with and none of the parents sit in, mind you two of them I do the lessons at their homes.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    This looks like a competency based application, which I’m very familiar with due to internal promotion opportunities in the public sector. You need to demonstrate your competency in each point, and I’d guess what they’re looking for is a STAR approach - Situation, Task, Action, Result. Describe a situation you’ve been in, what the task you had to do was, the action you took, and finally, what the result was.

If you can think of a positive result from something you did, it’s often easier to work backwards from that to fit what they’re looking for.
    This looks like a competency based application, which I’m very familiar with due to internal promotion opportunities in the public sector. You need to demonstrate your competency in each point, and I’d guess what they’re looking for is a STAR approach - Situation, Task, Action, Result. Describe a situation you’ve been in, what the task you had to do was, the action you took, and finally, what the result was.

If you can think of a positive result from something you did, it’s often easier to work backwards from that to fit what they’re looking for.
    The job spec is in 4 segments:

Qualifications and Experience

 Ability to play to a high standard.

 Knowledge of current resources and issues in the teaching of music

 Music college diploma or equivalent

 Qualified Teacher Status

Experience

 Experience or ability of teaching from beginner to post Grade 8 standard

 Experience of group teaching

 Experience of leading assemblies

Professional Skills and Attributes

 Ability to attend work regularly and on time

 Basic working knowledge of ICT enabling use of email and internet functions

 Ability to communicate in a professional manner with parents/carers, school and other staff

Demonstrates the Commitment to

 Commitment to and understanding of, the principles of Equal Opportunities for all, in employment and the delivery of services.

 Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people

Are you saying to do STAR for every section?

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    It’s only the Demonstrates... section that jumps out at me for a STAR answer. The rest seem to be looking for facts (like experience of group teaching, music college diploma), but I wouldn’t discount using that approach for something like “Ability to communicate in a professional manner...” for instance.