Application forms, equal opportunities, etc.

What's Hot

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    Hmm maybe, its a bloody long ass application form though so its not fair on other people's time. Interviews start next Monday as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    By the looks of it this doesn't sound like the type of company someone wants to work for!
    That's quite odd. At a guess they have someone in mind and they are giving just long enough for him/ her to send in their application and so they can say they followed all their processes
    An educational establishment wasted my time with this tomfoolery. I sussed within 5 min of the interview starting that they were just going through the motions and had already decided who was going to get the job. Not sure why I didn't walk out there & then.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    By the looks of it this doesn't sound like the type of company someone wants to work for!
    That's quite odd. At a guess they have someone in mind and they are giving just long enough for him/ her to send in their application and so they can say they followed all their processes
    An educational establishment wasted my time with this tomfoolery. I sussed within 5 min of the interview starting that they were just going through the motions and had already decided who was going to get the job. Not sure why I didn't walk out there & then.
    three working days for applications is a nonsense unless it's going through the motions for some reason. They either have someone in mind or want to show they can't fill the post so they can use the money elsewhere. Or it's a typo - as they say in politics if something could be explained by conspiracy or idiocy it's almost always idiocy. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Never got a reply from the HR department (emailed them on Monday) and the vacancy has been removed from the school website. I don't think I would want to work for this company anyway by the sounds of it!
    edited August 2018
    I applied for another role somewhere else and I've just been invited to a meeting! Its going to be held in a cafe though so I take it that this isn't going to be a formal interview. Its tomorrow afternoon and I have no idea what to expect. 

- What am I meant to wear? Looks like its not going to be an office type interview thing but I still want to make a good impression.

- Why is this a meeting in a coffee shop? 
  • I applied for another role somewhere else and I've just been invited to a meeting! Its going to be held in a cafe though so I take it that this isn't going to be a formal interview. Its tomorrow afternoon and I have no idea what to expect. 

- What am I meant to wear? Looks like its not going to be an office type interview thing but I still want to make a good impression.

"smart casual" whatever that means. probably in a coffee shop to avoid having to meet in a pub (daytime drinking can give the wrong impression)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    I applied for another role somewhere else and I've just been invited to a meeting! Its going to be held in a cafe though so I take it that this isn't going to be a formal interview. Its tomorrow afternoon and I have no idea what to expect. 

What's the role, and how big is the organisation?

I've interviewed people in the pub (admittedly over coffee not beer) because we're a tiny organisation (3 people) and anything more formal is pointless.

I would gauge clothing choice by a balance of your normal clothes and the type of role/organisation you're applying to. As it's a café interview all other things being equal I would assume that means smart casual would be fine.  Personally I define smart casual as a button-up shirt, open neck, and more or less any 'average' trousers (so avoid blue jeans, cargos and fetishwear and you should be fine).

I would also wear something that you're comfortable in. You'll make a much better impression if you're comfortable in your skin (and clothes) than if you're out of sorts before you start.  If they like you they've got the option of saying "Of course, normally we'd expect full evening wear" or "Next time those jeans with your arse hanging out will be fine", whereas if you come across as a fidgety numpty they won't care what you're wearing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Snags said:

What's the role, and how big is the organisation?

I've interviewed people in the pub (admittedly over coffee not beer) because we're a tiny organisation (3 people) and anything more formal is pointless.

I would gauge clothing choice by a balance of your normal clothes and the type of role/organisation you're applying to. As it's a café interview all other things being equal I would assume that means smart casual would be fine.  Personally I define smart casual as a button-up shirt, open neck, and more or less any 'average' trousers (so avoid blue jeans, cargos and fetishwear and you should be fine).

I would also wear something that you're comfortable in. You'll make a much better impression if you're comfortable in your skin (and clothes) than if you're out of sorts before you start.  If they like you they've got the option of saying "Of course, normally we'd expect full evening wear" or "Next time those jeans with your arse hanging out will be fine", whereas if you come across as a fidgety numpty they won't care what you're wearing.
    Its for a rock/pop band tutor and its for some academy in my area. I don't think they're very well known.

I was going to go for a smart shirt (no tie) maybe roll up the sleeves if its warm or jumper if its chilly. Smart trousers and shoes.

The last time I wore a suit was at a wedding 4 years ago hence why I'm always scrambling around to find smart wear!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Yeah, smart-ish trousers (personally I'd include clean black jeans in that, not just chino type things) and a casual shirt should be fine.
  • I don't think a rock/pop tutor needs anything like a suit. new clean plain T shirt and new clean jeans will probably do, just leave the KISS outfit at home.
  • Or even a polo shirt even?
  • That would do :)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27572

So they can put coffee and cake on expenses instead of drinking the awful brown swill in the office.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • That would do :)
    Hmm I do have a pair of clean black jeans too, just need to finish off with some footwear. I got a new pair of Vans trainers last month, they're clean-ish....lol
    Wearing the Vans could be quite clever; if you don't want to work somewhere that won't let you wear Vans then the problem solves itself.
    edited August 2018
    Sporky said:
    Wearing the Vans could be quite clever; if you don't want to work somewhere that won't let you wear Vans then the problem solves itself.
    Well its either that or some John White wingcap polished shoes!
  • I don't think a rock/pop tutor needs anything like a suit. new clean plain T shirt and new clean jeans will probably do, just leave the KISS outfit at home.
    This is for a part-time role as well apparently.
    Sporky said:
    One of each?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This is for a part-time role as well apparently.
    Well if it's only part time it's not worth putting the KISS outfit on - would take you longer to robe and disrobe than the time spent on the job.
  • Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    One of each?
    Might make me stand out a bit eh