Depeche Mode with no synths

I made a cover of a Depeche Mode classic with guitars instead of synths for a bit of cheesy fun. Here it is:

Listen to Just Can't Get Enough by TheFlyingPie #np on #SoundCloud

All comments welcome 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Thats pretty damn good, , I would suggest compression and some reverb especially on the drums and vox,  but great work!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Very cool!  Really works doesn't it?  I think I'd've preferred a smoother gain sound ... but that is most certainly just me.

Spurred me on to try and do the version of Take On Me I've been planning for ages.  Need to get out some clamps for the high bits though ...
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    i enjoyed that, good stuff !
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7128
    Like that a lot !
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3243
    Like!
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Loving your work!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Thanks all. Was fun to do. 80s keyboard parts can work really well as rock guitar riffs. 

@Strangefan thanks for the feedback. There is some compression on the vocals, and comp & reverb on the drums, although it's subtle (I didn't want the drums to sound too 80s). I'll bear in mind that it could use more in the future

@Bezzer Oh yes. Get on it. I'll look forward to hearing that cover
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Great job on this! I prefer the guitars over the synths to be honest. I would have increased the tempo personally and may chugged it out a bit, but this is really cool.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    That's very cool.  I was a big Depeche fan back in the late 80s and early 90s, don't listen so much now.  Although they did get a bit more guitarry later on.
    aord43 said:
    That's very cool.  I was a big Depeche fan back in the late 80s and early 90s, don't listen so much now.  Although they did get a bit more guitarry later on.
    Cheers.

I was also a big fan back in the day. I've listened to the 101 live album so much I found it hard not to sing the flat harmony part in the last chorus - that's how ingrained in me it is!

Violator was a breath of fresh air for me at the time but I still like the cheesy early stuff too.

@IMC1980 I considered going more pop punk but like the groove of the original and it's good fun to play. This actually started off as a rough draft arrangement for my band to learn but I decided to ditch the keys, put extra guitar instead and record a proper version. I would love to hear your take on some of this stuff 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    That's a really good version. Slightly nostalgic because I was in a band for a while in the mid 80s that also did a guitar-based version of the song. Live we weren't able to create the layered guitars of your version @flying_pie which really makes it stand out. Great job :)
    aord43 said:
    Cheers.

I was also a big fan back in the day. I've listened to the 101 live album so much I found it hard not to sing the flat harmony part in the last chorus - that's how ingrained in me it is!

Violator was a breath of fresh air for me at the time but I still like the cheesy early stuff too.

@IMC1980 I considered going more pop punk but like the groove of the original and it's good fun to play. This actually started off as a rough draft arrangement for my band to learn but I decided to ditch the keys, put extra guitar instead and record a proper version. I would love to hear your take on some of this stuff 
    Your version sounds awesome, I was thinking out loud with the tempo/chug thing. Is it you singing as well?

I did a cover of the Yazoo song Only You, but that was more of an acoustic thing. I want to do several cover tracks, but have some original stuff that I need to get finished first. Do you a SoundCloud profile for your band?
    That's me singing @IMC1980 ; I intentionally recorded it the morning after a big pub session to try and get some raspiness/fragility! 

Current band is just a local parents band who play a couple of local gigs a year. No soundcloud or other recordings yet - we're nowhere near that organised and generally manage about one rehearsal a month'
    Parents band? Anyway, vocals sound really good. You should do some more covers, this turned out really well.
    IMC1980 said:
    Parents band? Anyway, vocals sound really good. You should do some more covers, this turned out really well.
    Yeah. We have a local music festival every year and there hadn't been any local bands, or rock featured so I got a band together from local parents - dads and mums.
    IMC1980 said:
    Yeah. We have a local music festival every year and there hadn't been any local bands, or rock featured so I got a band together from local parents - dads and mums.
    Ah, got you! I imagine getting gigs and rehearsals scheduled with a bunch of mums and dads is a challenge. Since I have had two kids, music has been progressing at a crawl...
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5852
    That is a really good job. A cover like that would have been in the charts back in the day.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.