The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I actually liked the comp in the FX8 more, it reminded me of my old big box Cali 76, especially with a Telecaster. Let’s see what goodies we eventually get from Kemper, still waiting for an Editor, hopefully before I’m a Pensioner ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha, they do take a while! It's frustrating for reasons I've mentioned before on here and in the official forums...for which I sincerely regret mentioning anything...they're like vultures waiting to defend the Kemper philosophy with their lives! If it's ready, release it and then release the rest later...I hate that they're holding things back for the sake of more things.

Comps on the Fractal are good, as are all the other FX.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    edited November 2018
    I love this forum, and one of the great joys is when I received PMs form people, and we share ideas, talk daftness and induce GAS...

Anyway, quite a few ask about my set-up. Now, I'm with @Jonathanthomas83 here; Kemper is not always straight forward. So here is my 'home' set-up. I'll do another for my 'live' set-up.

Now I have run a pair of Genelecs 8010s in place of the Zilla 1x12 cab, but now the cab is back ins residence since I sold my beloved (expensive Kemper stand) Carr Rambler !

Hope it helps and is all clearly visible.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think they sound great. However, my main concern about digital stuff such as this is when it goes down it simply stops and it's quite difficult to find the fault. Whereas if a valve amp imo goes down its more likely a valve and even then it've given you a warning. Am I wrong?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I find the drives lacking but the comps to be good and I don't really use any other effects. The 'transpose' effect doesn't work nearly as good as my Whammy DT did but it was just a toy.

I can't really compare to other units but the Phaser is good enough for me, the delays are more than good enough, as are the reverbs and chorus. Beyond that I have no use for FX, and I would only use a hall reverb and single delay anyway. Yet to try the wah's though, although I have no problem with hooking up an actual wah before the Kemper. I wish the overdrives were a bit better though, they don't respond how I'd expect.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• I think they sound great. However, my main concern about digital stuff such as this is when it goes down it simply stops and it's quite difficult to find the fault. Whereas if a valve amp imo goes down its more likely a valve and even then it've given you a warning. Am I wrong?
    It's a strange logic to employ mate, if I may say... what if anything fails ?!? :)

I must say one of the reasons I went over to Kemper is that my last two gigs, I had TWO separate valve amp failures. Mid gig. 
    Shocking and embarrassing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I find the drives lacking but the comps to be good and I don't really use any other effects. The 'transpose' effect doesn't work nearly as good as my Whammy DT did but it was just a toy.

I can't really compare to other units but the Phaser is good enough for me, the delays are more than good enough, as are the reverbs and chorus. Beyond that I have no use for FX, and I would only use a hall reverb and single delay anyway. Yet to try the wah's though, although I have no problem with hooking up an actual wah before the Kemper. I wish the overdrives were a bit better though, they don't respond how I'd expect.
    I learned, with the Wah, that there's a nice CryBaby preset that I had to use in order to get it to work as I'd expect. PM me if you're not accustomed to using FX presets yet, it's a bit weird.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2018
    That's what @Freebird does and he loves it!

I personally love the FX on the Kemper and haven't found myself wanting, but we've all got different use cases.
    I love the FX8 and the Kemper fx, plus all my VST fx which I can reamp back through the Kemper. It's an amazingly versatile piece of equipment  
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited November 2018
    I think they sound great. However, my main concern about digital stuff such as this is when it goes down it simply stops and it's quite difficult to find the fault. Whereas if a valve amp imo goes down its more likely a valve and even then it've given you a warning. Am I wrong?
    It's a strange logic to employ mate, if I may say... what if anything fails ?!?

I must say one of the reasons I went over to Kemper is that my last two gigs, I had TWO separate valve amp failures. Mid gig. 
    Shocking and embarrassing.
    Well I do laugh st my own logic sometimes but I'm sure I could get a valve amp fixed if the embarrassing happened fairly quickly than I would fixing a kemper, IF it went down. Not saying it would though but I always err on the side of caution. Paranoia in other words lol
  • @hotpickups ;So you'd opt for a valve amp over anything digital because of concern over breakdown?

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited November 2018
    @hotpickups ;;So you'd opt for a valve amp over anything digital because of concern over breakdown?
    No but I can easily get it fixed if did 

Gig will be over on both accounts if they did. That's why I take two amps to my gigs. I told you I was paranoid lol. 

Wish valve amps were lighter though :(
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    edited November 2018
    @hotpickups ;;So you'd opt for a valve amp over anything digital because of concern over breakdown?
    What during a gig live ???
  • @hotpickups ;;So you'd opt for a valve amp over anything digital because of concern over breakdown?
    No, as I've just mentioned in edited post above. The gig will be over using either. But I can get the valve amp fixed the following day I reckon 
  • Life's too short for me to live it like that. I prefer the Kemper on all accounts, but we're all different.

• @hotpickups ;;So you'd opt for a valve amp over anything digital because of concern over breakdown?
    No, as I've just mentioned in edited post above. The gig will be over using either. But I can get the valve amp fixed the following day I reckon 
    Ha !

For me, the point is, the valve amps DID fail. The Kemper has not.

In fact, the Kemper saved the gig. 

Just my limited experience.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Having owned several valve amps, and a Kemper, the Kemper is far more reliable.

Most of the time, it is just a valve needs replacing, but it always seems to happen at a bad time.
  • crunchman said:
    Having owned several valve amps, and a Kemper, the Kemper is far more reliable.

Most of the time, it is just a valve needs replacing, but it always seems to happen at a bad time.
    This is my experience too. I'm not saying that Kemper, or any other digital piece of gear is infallible, but I agree with you that the Kemper is way more reliable.

• Well we will have to wait until one fails on us then ;) Again not saying they will but it will one day surely? Everything does and just a matter of time. Kemper is still relatively new? :)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited November 2018
    Well we will have to wait until one fails on us then Again not saying they will but it will one day surely? Everything does and just a matter of time. Kemper is still relatively new?
    Not really... it was launched in 2011! I’ve had mine since 2012 and it’s been completely reliable. As both my Helix’s have been and the FX8. I trust this stuff far more than I ever did amps.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I have a Kemper, and it has been far more reliable than the last few valve amps I've had ( apart from the AC30, that was great too).