The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Well we will have to wait until one fails on us then ;) Again not saying they will but it will one day surely? Everything does and just a matter of time. Kemper is still relatively new? :)
    Whereas we all seem to have had valve amp failure ;)

You know, I've loved my valve amps, and Ive owned more than most I guess. Times change, and I guess I have as well...

As ever, ymmv
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 916
    I've had my Kemper since 2013 and had a failure earlier this year (not at a gig). I tried all the factory resets and restore options but nothing helped. I contacted Kemper support and they sent me all the necessary info to return it for repair. The process was simple. The KPA was out of warranty so I had to pay postage and repair costs but Kemper paid the return postage and the turnaround was about 10 days.

Over the years I must have owned at least 30 valve amps and a few of them have needed more frequent and more costly repairs than the Kemper so it's swings and roundabouts. I've owned other digital preamps and they're still working after 10 years or more with no repairs having been necessary. I always carry a spare whether it's a preamp or a guitar as anything can fail or break. I certainly wouldn't discount using a digital device because it might break and I can't fix it at a gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    drwiddly said:
    ..... I always carry a spare whether it's a preamp or a guitar as anything can fail or break. I certainly wouldn't discount using a digital device because it might break and I can't fix it at a gig.
    In a way, it's easier to carry a spare for the Kemper as well.  If you are going direct then something like a Sansamp, or the Joyo/Harley-Benton version of it, is dead easy to plug in.  If you are using a valve amp, and have to switch to a box like that, then it adds other issues.  How will you hear yourself on stage etc.
  • I guess I'm just not ready for a kemper then. Many features I would never use anyway. Being lightweight though I'd definitely use that ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I guess I'm just not ready for a kemper then. Many features I would never use anyway. Being lightweight though I'd definitely use that ;)
    Does sound like you're trying to find an excuse not to have one in your life! Unreliability isn't one you can use though, sorry! ;-)

It's not for everyone, and that's ok :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Swings and roundabouts mate, for all of us...

I turn up to rehearsal now with a gig-bag and a Kemper should bag. It used to take 3 visits to the car !!

I would like a nice valve amp though, when things level out...
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited November 2018
    I guess I'm just not ready for a kemper then. Many features I would never use anyway. Being lightweight though I'd definitely use that
    Does sound like you're trying to find an excuse not to have one in your life! Unreliability isn't one you can use though, sorry! ;-)

I keep saying I'm not questioning reliability but quickness at getting them fixed. 10 days without an amp would be tough for me whereas a day or 2 I could live with when fixing a valve amp. 

Also I'd never understand half of the gizmos on it. The facia of knobs and lights alone frightens me lol

I turn up to rehearsal now with a gig-bag and a Kemper should bag. It used to take 3 visits to the car !!

Still need a cab though ?

Still need a cab though ?
    Foxx moi, you don't give up do you ?!

Well, you can use a cab or straight through the PA. My cab is stored at the venue where we rehearse (a church building).

I'm not lugging two valve amps about any more though ;)

It's ok to not like the Kemper you know, and love valve amps !! I nearly sold mine and was heading back to valves only till the TWO amp failures live with two separate amps, at a gig where all my family and friends were.

Just use what works for you :)
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited November 2018
    I guess I'm just not ready for a kemper then. Many features I would never use anyway. Being lightweight though I'd definitely use that

I keep saying I'm not questioning reliability but quickness at getting them fixed. 10 days without an amp would be tough for me whereas a day or 2 I could live with when fixing a valve amp. 

Also I'd never understand half of the gizmos on it. The facia of knobs and lights alone frightens me lol
    Really? I've gone way longer than that and managed. Get your acoustic out. Or use some plugins. Or get a Katana.

The interface is easy after you've got used to it...takes an hour, max.

Doesn't matter what we say, if you're not into it, you're not into it mate. It's OK!!!

• You know, last week I sold my beloved Rambler.

You've all heard me 'ramble' on (apologies) about the Carr for years... well, my mate is a newbie to guitar and came around the other Monday evening when Mrs Waz was out, and I set up the Kemper vs The Rambler.

I was literally gob smacked. Using a Tone Junkie Profile, and a bit of tweaking (and I have NO patience as a tweaker) you. could. not. tell. the. difference.

Bloody hell. That is a ridiculous statement to make.

Maybe a touch more warmth ? I dunno.

I miss the looks of my valve amps, the coolness of my valve amps, the kudos of my valve amps.

But sound and reliability. Sorry, that doesn't work for me personally...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Guys I'm not dissing either but seeing what is actually beneficial to me personally. I don't need a kemper at the moment so I'm weighing up the real benefits to my actual usage. I'm basically a plug in and play guy really and hate messing around with settings etc. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think we're all just confused as to why you're commenting on this stuff when you have no real interest in the Kemper. Or at least that's how it seems. I for one am trying to work out what you're trying to get out of this? Genuinely interested. Do you have a question about the Kemper that we can help answer?

• I think we're all just confused as to why you're commenting on this stuff when you have no real interest in the Kemper. Or at least that's how it seems. I for one am trying to work out what you're trying to get out of this? Genuinely interested. Do you have a question about the Kemper that we can help answer?
    Just intrigued. Trying to find out what the fuss is about. Any harm in that?
  • Not at all.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    You know, last week I sold my beloved Rambler.

You've all heard me 'ramble' on (apologies) about the Carr for years... well, my mate is a newbie to guitar and came around the other Monday evening when Mrs Waz was out, and I set up the Kemper vs The Rambler.

I was literally gob smacked. Using a Tone Junkie Profile, and a bit of tweaking (and I have NO patience as a tweaker) you. could. not. tell. the. difference.

Bloody hell. That is a ridiculous statement to make.

Maybe a touch more warmth ? I dunno.

I miss the looks of my valve amps, the coolness of my valve amps, the kudos of my valve amps.

But sound and reliability. Sorry, that doesn't work for me personally...

What was your precise setup (including profile) that got you so close to the Rambler?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • IJonathanthomas83 said:
    Not at all.
    l'll shut up now ;) 
    Not at all.
    l'll shut up now ;) 
    Ask away mate, that's why we're all here...I think the majority of people who hang about in this thread are hopeful of getting more people on board the Kemper train, so if you have any questions, then get them out there. We all love the Kemper, so it's only going to be good advice (read: hopefully non-biased and helpful!).

Not at all.
    l'll shut up now ;) 
    Ask away mate, that's why we're all here...I think the majority of people who hang about in this thread are hopeful of getting more people on board the Kemper train, so if you have any questions, then get them out there. We all love the Kemper, so it's only going to be good advice (read: hopefully non-biased and helpful!).
    One question then. Is the kemper and kemper profiler in the same unit or are they different things? There seems to be different versions from what I can gather  :(
  • There's one Kemper Profiler but 4 variations:
    • Powered head (affectionately known as the toaster)
    • Unpowered head
    • Powered rack
    • Unpowered rack
    You can get a white face or green face coloured head. (So I guess, there's another two variations there too).