The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited July 2018
    FarleyUK said:
    Arsehole. Now i’m Interested in trying the Kemper....!

I’ve gone from a Helix to an AX8 - which is awesome, but I find the lack of easy editing on the fly and a few other things (and the community, as you mention in your blog, are pretty ridiculous - as are a few of the Fractal business decisions) are taking the shine off it for me.

However.... I LOVE the feel and response of the amps and cabs in the AX8; much more realistic than the Helix IMO. Is the Kemper like that? And I also love the ability to tweak amp models as in-depth as you want to be very very handy too. Can the Kemper do that? Is there a list of modelled amps anywhere?
    Haha, thanks for reading it, mate. 

I think you'd have to approach the Kemper slightly differently in as much as a profile isn't really meant to be tweaked to the depths that an amp can be in the Fractal. In short, yes, tweaks can be made, quite in-depth tweaks at that. The secondary amp functions are absolutely superb in the Kemper and the amp compression algorithm and definition parameters are really great. However, if I want a different sound, I generally gravitate toward a different profile that's closer to what I want, then I make minor tweaks from there. 

Took me less than a fortnight to find all 4/5 of my favourite profiles and I still use them now, 3-4 months later and haven't bothered to even look for others.

You mention you struggle with easy editing on the fly with the Fractal, I did too...Kemper has no such issues and I really like the way it's all easily accessible from the front panel, as I alluded to in the blog.

Same with how I mentioned loving the detail in tweaking on the Axe FX but I never could settle down and just play...I kept in tweaking. I no longer do that, because of the ethos behind profiles and just finding one that you like and dont need to tweak.

Feel and response. Yes. I love it and think it's superior, or at worst, on par. This is subjective though and my opinion.

You wouldn't need a list of modelled amps, many, many amps have been profiled. Many people here, I'm sure, would be willing to help you find the amps you're interested in and many will be in the Kemper as stock from factory, no doubt.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    FarleyUK said:

I’ve gone from a Helix to an AX8 - which is awesome, but I find the lack of easy editing on the fly and a few other things (and the community, as you mention in your blog, are pretty ridiculous - as are a few of the Fractal business decisions) are taking the shine off it for me.

However.... I LOVE the feel and response of the amps and cabs in the AX8; much more realistic than the Helix IMO. Is the Kemper like that? And I also love the ability to tweak amp models as in-depth as you want to be very very handy too. Can the Kemper do that? Is there a list of modelled amps anywhere?

I think you'd have to approach the Kemper slightly differently in as much as a profile isn't really meant to be tweaked to the depths that an amp can be in the Fractal. In short, yes, tweaks can be made, quite in-depth tweaks at that. The secondary amp functions are absolutely superb in the Kemper and the amp compression algorithm and definition parameters are really great. However, if I want a different sound, I generally gravitate toward a different profile that's closer to what I want, then I make minor tweaks from there. 

Took me less than a fortnight to find all 4/5 of my favourite profiles and I still use them now, 3-4 months later and haven't bothered to even look for others.

You mention you struggle with easy editing on the fly with the Fractal, I did too...Kemper has no such issues and I really like the way it's all easily accessible from the front panel, as I alluded to in the blog.

Same with how I mentioned loving the detail in tweaking on the Axe FX but I never could settle down and just play...I kept in tweaking. I no longer do that, because of the ethos behind profiles and just finding one that you like and dont need to tweak.

Feel and response. Yes. I love it and think it's superior, or at worst, on par. This is subjective though and my opinion.

You wouldn't need a list of modelled amps, many, many amps have been profiled. Many people here, I'm sure, would be willing to help you find the amps you're interested in and many will be in the Kemper as stock from factory, no doubt.
    Ace, cheers! Now just need to decide if it’s worth taking the plunge.....

£1800 for the Kemper and controller is a fair whack!

I really related to what you said about spending hours just tweaking though - I don’t think I’ve used the same setup at two gigs on the AX8, as it’s kind of ‘too much’ in some ways.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

Ace, cheers! Now just need to decide if it’s worth taking the plunge.....

£1800 for the Kemper and controller is a fair whack!

I really related to what you said about spending hours just tweaking though - I don’t think I’ve used the same setup at two gigs on the AX8, as it’s kind of ‘too much’ in some ways.
    'Tis a lot of money. But like all these things, I weigh up how much I use it and like others have said, it's the single best piece of kit I own...worth its weight in gold, to me.

Yeah that's pretty much my experience of the Fractal too, fantastic tool, but I couldn't settle for long enough on one sound. I don't know why it is, but I just don't get that with the Kemper.

• FarleyUK said:

Accidental LOL, sorry matey. Meant to quote so I could say, yes, me too...
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    edited July 2018
    Interesting thread here guys...

Here's my thoughts, as a twice owner of the Kemper, and a current very happy one second time around...

For me, NONE of the digital modelling stuff sounds as good in real life as my Carr Rambler and Redplate CDS2. But those are close to £5000 worth of amps sitting there. But the Kemper is very VERY close.

Thinking Of Buying A Kemper ? What You Should Know...

The Negatives:  

A steep learning curve. The Kemper isn't 'real' and neither is some of the language and culture associated with it; profiles, clean sense, rigs, multiple volumes, headphone space etc etc

Also, you get into various rabbit holes very quickly - FRFR, profiles, Its, cab sims etc etc and these can sometimes be really confusing AND add cost.

And cost is a HUGE one. My Kemper PA cost £1700, Remote £350, DXR10 £500 - thats some money for a REALLY good amp/guitar set up maybe...

The Positives:

The amazing sound and options and variety. Really light to carry.

The remote is excellent, and the effects are getting really good now too.

The options to add, for example, reverse delay into an existing forward delay.

And then there's those profiles, as really good ones are literally in distinguishable from the amp its modelled on.

Incredibly versatile, creative and flexible system.

Awesome options in a two amp set-up with a real valve amp...

I will add that since Ive had the Kemper, I haven't touched a real pedal or pedal board. In fairness, I do have the excellent Helix HX, but the Kemper and its effects alone work superbly.

I read recently somewhere that the explosion of digital camera occurred when they stopped trying to be real 'film' cameras; the analogy is obvious and applies to ALL digital modelling.

Accept it for what it is, and make it work for you.

Just my personal thoughts. Like the Helix, there are as many options and ways to use it, as there are threads about it all

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2018
    FarleyUK said:
    The AX8 and Helix amps are modeled, whereas the Kemper takes snapshots of a real amp. An individual profile records the characteristics of a specific amp as it was set up. Most people profile multiple settings of the same amp, in order to offer a variety of tone and gain settings, etc.. The guys who know what they are doing usually profile all the sweetspots of a given amp. You can also make adjustments to the profiles after the fact, but I tend not to stray too far from the original settings, instead I search for profiles that sound right to me in the first place.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Interesting thread here guys...

Here's my thoughts, as a twice owner of the Kemper, and a current very happy one second time around...

For me, NONE of the digital modelling stuff sounds as good in real life as my Carr Rambler and Redplate CDS2. But those are close to £5000 worth of amps sitting there. But the Kemper is very VERY close.

Thinking Of Buying A Kemper ? What You Should Know...

The Negatives:  

A steep learning curve. The Kemper isn't 'real' and neither is some of the language and culture associated with it; profiles, clean sense, rigs, multiple volumes, headphone space etc etc

Also, you get into various rabbit holes very quickly - FRFR, profiles, Its, cab sims etc etc and these can sometimes be really confusing AND add cost.

And cost is a HUGE one. My Kemper PA cost £1700, Remote £350, DXR10 £500 - thats some money for a REALLY good amp/guitar set up maybe...

The Positives:

The amazing sound and options and variety. Really light to carry.

The remote is excellent, and the effects are getting really good now too.

The options to add, for example, reverse delay into an existing forward delay.

And then there's those profiles, as really good ones are literally in distinguishable from the amp its modelled on.

Incredibly versatile, creative and flexible system.

Awesome options in a two amp set-up with a real valve amp...

I will add that since Ive had the Kemper, I haven't touched a real pedal or pedal board. In fairness, I do have the excellent Helix HX, but the Kemper and its effects alone work superbly.

I read recently somewhere that the explosion of digital camera occurred when they stopped trying to be real 'film' cameras; the analogy is obvious and applies to ALL digital modelling.

Accept it for what it is, and make it work for you.

Just my personal thoughts. Like the Helix, there are as many options and ways to use it, as there are threads about it all

That is spot on. Wis'd.

Particularly love that camera analogy and may nick it if that's ok! :-)

Cheers all :)

I’m often trying to ‘dial in’ tones from the likes fo Doug Aldrich, Slash, Gary Moore etc - maybe the Kemper is the way forward in that aspect...
    edited July 2018
    Regarding cost, it also depends on what you do with your Kemper. Mine is attached to a computer and it's used for recording. I got it second-hand, so my investment is a lot less than Wazmeister. Basically I was just replacing Amplitube VST software in my workflow, and now I've got a kickass studio setup.
  • FarleyUK said:
    Cheers all :)

I’m often trying to ‘dial in’ tones from the likes fo Doug Aldrich, Slash, Gary Moore etc - maybe the Kemper is the way forward in that aspect...
    Yep, all doable. I play a lot of Slash and Gary. Or try to, at least.
    Freebird said:
    Regarding cost, it also depends on what you do with your Kemper. Mine is attached to a computer digitally, and I use it mostly for recording. I got it second-hand, so my investment is a lot less than Wazmeister. Basically I was just replacing the Amplitube VST software in my setup, and now I've got a kickass studio setup.
    I am jealous of your setup!

edited July 2018
    FarleyUK said:
    Cheers all

Yep, all doable. I play a lot of Slash and Gary. Or try to, at least.
    Freebird said:
    Regarding cost, it also depends on what you do with your Kemper. Mine is attached to a computer digitally, and I use it mostly for recording. I got it second-hand, so my investment is a lot less than Wazmeister. Basically I was just replacing the Amplitube VST software in my setup, and now I've got a kickass studio setup.
    I am jealous of your setup!
    Good stuff - but can it do the Use Your Illusion / Snakepit tone...? I've yet to find a decent version of it!

Got a few more questions as well I'm afraid... A guy has offered to swap his powered kemper and remote for my ax8....!

1. How does it work with switching fx on and off on the remote?

2. Are there 'scenes' on the remote?

3. I currently have a lot of pretty cool presets I made for specific songs - such as I Want to Break Free, Enter Sandman etc. I'm slightly concerned I wouldn't be able to create the specific scenes in the Kemper. Am I just being paranoid?

4. I assume it can take IRs and has a built in bank of them?

5. Can it be used with a secondary out to a mixer for IEM?

6. Can I use my existing Mission spring pedal for wah and the smaller Fractal EV-2 to control other parameters?

Thanks all!
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited July 2018
    @FarleyUK I dunno about Use Your Illusion or Snakepit, I just try to approximate a general Slash tone, not specific era's.

1. FX can be assigned to 4 switches on the remote, two can be assigned to the same switch if you want.

2. Kemper call them performances and performances can have 5 slots for different rigs in each...this is the equivalent of 5 scenes in one preset (performance).

3. Scared you won't be able to recreate the tones or the specific scenes you use for those songs? What are you scared of specifically?

4. I don't use IRs any more now I have the Kemper and I don't miss them so don't know much about this. But my understanding is that it can take IRs and has a few loaded from the factory, but if you want to load your own then you can use Kemper Cab Maker to convert them. In reality though, it's worth adjusting your mindset and trying to find some good profiles, then you won't need IRs.

5. There's a few outputs you can use, yes. Take a look at some pics or the manual.

6. Yes to the Mission, and im fairly sure the Fractal will work too.

Cheers. Guess I'm concerned about not having as much control over the settings or scenes as I do now. How many fx can you run at once?

I've been hearing a lot about people getting lost in the mix as well - a little concerning there's no control over an eq.....
  • @FarleyUK there's plenty of control over EQ, you have dedicated EQ in the amp as well as being able to add EQ as an FX block. 

Im still not sure what you mean that you're worried you won't have as much control of settings and scenes as you do now. FX settings are still all perfectly accessible and are there to tweak. And everything can be added to a rig slot in a performance just like you can scenes.

You have 4 FX slots before the amp. Then you have X, mod, delay and reverb after it. However, you're not limited to those FX in those blocks either. Plenty of room for plenty of FX in a particular rig.

Like I said, if you can articulate what your specific concerns are, I will try my best to help.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Can you run a phaser into a vibe into a chorus into the amp/eq into a flanger into a trem into a rotary ? .... asking for a friend 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anybody seen this video? It played a big part in my making the switch to Kemper. Thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018
    FarleyUK said:
     4. I assume it can take IRs and has a built in bank of them?
    You can convert IR's to cabs using Kemper software, and you can also use cabs from other profiles.
    @FarleyUK there's plenty of control over EQ, you have dedicated EQ in the amp as well as being able to add EQ as an FX block. 

Im still not sure what you mean that you're worried you won't have as much control of settings and scenes as you do now. FX settings are still all perfectly accessible and are there to tweak. And everything can be added to a rig slot in a performance just like you can scenes.

You have 4 FX slots before the amp. Then you have X, mod, delay and reverb after it. However, you're not limited to those FX in those blocks either. Plenty of room for plenty of FX in a particular rig.

Like I said, if you can articulate what your specific concerns are, I will try my best to help.
    Cheers - I guess it just seems quite different to the AX8 and Helix to me at this stage, so just worried I'd lose key functions or features!

I've seen the list of fx, seems fine to me.

I currently use the EV-2 to control the delay amount on the AX8 - is that possible on the Kemper?
  • FarleyUK said:
    @FarleyUK there's plenty of control over EQ, you have dedicated EQ in the amp as well as being able to add EQ as an FX block. 

Cheers - I guess it just seems quite different to the AX8 and Helix to me at this stage, so just worried I'd lose key functions or features!

I've seen the list of fx, seems fine to me.

I currently use the EV-2 to control the delay amount on the AX8 - is that possible on the Kemper?
    Without knowing what features/functions you're worried about losing, it's hard to reassure you that you won't :-)

I think that's possible, yes. I'll give it a go later. It'd utilise the pedal morph feature.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    So, latest update...

Decided to rehearse with just the Kemper and DXR10 last night.

A bit of background. Covers band working on a small set up list (just for ourselves !)...
    Songs include;

That's Entertainment - The Jam
    I Cant Explain - The Who
    In The Crowed - The Jam
    Kids Are Alright - The Who
    It's Still Rock n Roll To Me - Billy Joel
    It's Only Natural - Crowded House
    I Fought The Law - The Clash

Some variety needed at times there, and the Kemper was... well, incredible !

Dialled in some new sounds very quickly (I use the Remote), and was able to add volume and boost as required.

A few observations regarding the DXR10...

1.) Very full sounding - less 'beaming' than normal speaker cabs

2.) Slightly treble/digital feel to the DXR10. I own 2 of them, and we usually use them for our PA.
          I know understand the need for a Full Range speaker, but Im wondering if another one may suit me more ?

3.) The DXR10 is plenty loud !!

I wonder if the new L6 Powercab might sound more 'amp/cab'-like/warmer than the DXR10 ?