The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2386
    Question.... is there an editor for IRs that will allow me to apply a hi and low cut, to avoid having to take up the X mod slot with an EQ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I spent most of yesterday 'working from home' and playing with the Kemper properly.

My God, I love this thing.

Haven't dimed the volume yet, but sounds good through both headphones and my 2 DXR10's. Been playing around with snapshots, morphing and performance mode, and managed to get a pretty good Wanted Dead or Alive performance saved. Slot 1 is acoustic sim, with a thick delay and reverb using the freeze feature to keep the 'drone' going at the start of the song, slot 2 is the same acoustic rig but without the drone, slot 3 is my main Aldrich Cameron for the solo, and slot 4 is the Cameron pulled back a bit for the heavy rhythym.

This thing really is amazing, even if you don't use it for profiling! Seems easier to use and navigate than the AX8, although i wish it had a PC editor.... and hi and low cut within the cab block!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    do you need a hi/low cut if you're using a profiled amp? surely the 'digital' high associated with modellers wouldn't have been captured by the profile... as the amp doesn't put it out.
    sgosden said:
    do you need a hi/low cut if you're using a profiled amp? surely the 'digital' high associated with modellers wouldn't have been captured by the profile... as the amp doesn't put it out.
    I won't pretend to understand the science behind it all.... but I do know that when I insert an IR into the cab slot for a direct profile, and then add a graphic EQ in the X slot, the hi and low cut makes a big difference on the sound. I typically cut at around 90Hz and 7000mHz, but off the top of my head I don't know if the hi cut only affected it from a certain frequency register.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited August 2018
    sgosden said:
    No it doesn't but it's the close micing of the cab which is usually compensated for with high/low EQ'ing.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    sgosden said:
    If I mic a guitar amp I’ll typically apply some EQ so I would expect to do the same when using a profile.
  • FarleyUK said:
    I spent most of yesterday 'working from home' and playing with the Kemper properly.

My God, I love this thing.

Haven't dimed the volume yet, but sounds good through both headphones and my 2 DXR10's. Been playing around with snapshots, morphing and performance mode, and managed to get a pretty good Wanted Dead or Alive performance saved. Slot 1 is acoustic sim, with a thick delay and reverb using the freeze feature to keep the 'drone' going at the start of the song, slot 2 is the same acoustic rig but without the drone, slot 3 is my main Aldrich Cameron for the solo, and slot 4 is the Cameron pulled back a bit for the heavy rhythym.

This thing really is amazing, even if you don't use it for profiling! Seems easier to use and navigate than the AX8, although i wish it had a PC editor.... and hi and low cut within the cab block!
    Didn't know there was a freeze feature, how would you use it? Also what is a Snapshot, is it like the Helix feature?
    The freeze feature basically 'freezes' the ambient wet sound of the delay; so, to get the drone sound working, I selected a very wet delay with reverb, hit a d minor chord, and press the programmed button on the remote. This causes the wet delay and reverb FX to play, without any future notes or chords - while the freeze is activated - affecting it. Very cool feature.

Can't remember much about the Helix snapshots, but they're basically different 'instances' of the same rig; so one for low gain, one for high gain, one for lead etc.
  • Hi guys, I’m thinking of buying a Kemper, probably quite very soon but I was wondering if the stock profiles are any good? Once I’ve laid £1400 on the Kemper I’m not going to have much left over for commercial profiles...

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Chris,
    Yes - some good some great some bad... but easily enough to get you going.
  • Stock profiles are surprisingly better than I expected when I got mine. Obviously the 3rd party ones have some appeal and are often favoured by many.

I've heard there's a nice Kemper going in the classifieds ;-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Also Chris,

I can point you in the direction of some free good ones ;)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    There are some definitely some good ones on the rig exchange.  I think there are some free Michael Britt ones on there.

There is a Morgan AC20 from rmpacheco (or something like that) that is very good as well.

The paid ones don't have to cost a fortune.  You can get some of the Michael Britt packs for $39.99.  They normally have a good variety in the bigger packs.  If there is a particular amp you like, he also has some profile packs of individual amps for around $12.
    The free packs from Tone Junkie and Brian Carl are superb.
    Got my first gig with the Kemper tonight - fingers crossed all goes well!

Managed to use performance mode to set up specific song profiles - getting the right effects in things like I Want to Break Free (for the synth intro and the solo especially) was interesting...

Trying to volume level my presets and rigs - I used to do this on the AX8 with volume right up, into a Zoom U44 interface for the PC, and then a LUFS meter in Reaper. I'm assuming I can do the same for the Kemper...?
  • Good luck mate, I'm sure it'll be awesome!

Cheers mate, I'll hopefully upload a couple of clips tomorrow!
    FarleyUK said:

Managed to use performance mode to set up specific song profiles - getting the right effects in things like I Want to Break Free (for the synth intro and the solo especially) was interesting...

Trying to volume level my presets and rigs - I used to do this on the AX8 with volume right up, into a Zoom U44 interface for the PC, and then a LUFS meter in Reaper. I'm assuming I can do the same for the Kemper...?
    Adjust the volume (to match across presets) by using the Rig Volume, not the Master Volume
    FarleyUK said:

Adjust the volume (to match across presets) by using the Rig Volume, not the Master Volume
    Yep, that's what I've been doing :)
    Just done the sound check, and the first thing I notice - it's not as loud as the AX8! I'm almost at max volume and can only just be heard over the drummer. Eeek.

Seems I need to increase the volume of each performance set over the weekend...!!