New Sampler Day.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    octatonic said:
    an old school Akai/E-Mu/Roland sampler but the workflow is vastly different.
    I may be able to assist with something along these lines. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    The Digitakt looks like its worth investigating.

The price point of these things is really frustrating. If korg could add audio in to the volca it would be ideal - even if they doubled the price it would still be a fraction of the price of these other units. 
    The sound quality, sculpting, creative UI and design of these are simply amazing. It would take 50 pedals to come close...

Really love mine :)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    octatonic said:
    I bought an analogue mono synth yesterday so I'm not buying any time soon, unfortunately! 

I'll try out the Volca emulator - many thanks for linking - and see whether I think a Volca can scratch the itch. I suspect I may end up swapping my Volca Beats for a Volca Sample and getting another sampler on top but one step at a time... 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    octatonic said:
    I bought an analogue mono synth yesterday so I'm not buying any time soon, unfortunately! 

I'll try out the Volca emulator - many thanks for linking - and see whether I think a Volca can scratch the itch. I suspect I may end up swapping my Volca Beats for a Volca Sample and getting another sampler on top but one step at a time... 
    Get a Eurorack modular.
    You are going to end up there anyway, so it will just save time to go there now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Get a Eurorack modular.
    You are going to end up there anyway, so it will just save time to go there now.
    It will definitely not save money. Or my marriage!!!!! 
    goldtop said:

as a follow on comment to my desire above to get a Volca Sample...

I really want a hardware sampler (I am coming to the conclusion that I am not a DAW guy). I really want:

• A sequencer
    • The ability to record my own samples via audio in
    • the ability to mangle / mess with the samples

Sadly it seems like this particular combination isn't available without spending serious bucks. The Volca would probably be absolutely ideal except it fails miserably on the ease of getting samples into it.

The Octatrack looks great but is way above my likely budget. Any other ideas?

Download Vosyr - the developer calls it a "sample manager" but it's way more than that - it's a complete Volca Sample emulator for your Mac/PC, You don't even need to have a Volca to use it. But when you do, you can use it to drag/drop and transfer samples and sequences.

Best of all, the cleverer bits of the Volca Sample that are tricky to do on the unit itself (some require three fingers at the same time for tweaking) are super easy. So you can more easily create melodic sequences, too.

It's bloody free, too! So everyone on this thread should download it and have some fun. :)
    ^^^This Vosyr thing is seriously cool.

The only frustration is that its lacking some kind of tempo sync in/out. If it had that it would be incredible. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Nice. I really want a Volca Sample but this thing is about a million times cooler. 
    Have a look at this chap. Really knows his gear. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Get a Eurorack modular.
    Surely your wife wants you to be happy?
    And what would make you happy is a modular.
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Get a Eurorack modular.
    Yes, she does. She's also interested in things like eating and making sure our children are clothed. I've seen what happens to people who go modular! 
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Get a Eurorack modular.
    Yes, she does. She's also interested in things like eating and making sure our children are clothed. I've seen what happens to people who go modular! 
    They are happier than even this guy:

Nice. I really want a Volca Sample but this thing is about a million times cooler. 
    Have a look at this chap. Really knows his gear. 

Thats seriously cool. I'd love some of the guys doing this kind of syuff to put together a "how I did that" tutorial. There's so much going on its hard to work out whats coming from where. 

I came across this the other week, its incredible:

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Can you play the samples on the Octatrack polyphonically?
    wave100 said:
    Can you play the samples on the Octatrack polyphonically?
    Do you mean like you would with an Akai- lay a sample across a keyboard and play it at different pitches.
    No it isn't that sort of device- there are loads of things that do that.
    The Octatrack is a very different sort of thing.

It is pretty freely configurable but I do something quite similar to this guy in terms of how I use it:

Basically I use a couple of static engines, a couple of flex engines, one pickup and one through engine.
    Each track can be edited and mangled well beyond what you can do with a traditional sampler- and you have 8 tracks of sequencing.
    You can build an entire track quite quickly with it and one shot samples can be morphed into rhythmic loops, or melodic phrases.

It is incredibly deep- I've been using it for the last few months and I'm still finding fairly major things that I didn't know it did.