Roger Waters at the Glasgow Hydro, 30th June

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
Astounding.

Playing a lot of Pink Floyd classics and a (surprisingly small, I thought) selection of his later solo material, with a great band - including Dave Kilminster on guitar, nailing the other Dave's playing and tone remarkably accurately, and the other guitarist Jonathan Wilson nailing his early-70s era hair :).

Complete with a giant suspended model of Battersea power station done with roller curtains and projection which filled most of the space above the crowd, a remotely controlled flying pig and moon, a laser pyramid and enormous projections with a mixture of graphics and treated live images... very Pink Floyd.

He's also 74 years old, and looks both grizzled and ancient, and remarkably young at the same time - still singing, playing and running about like someone far younger - and he's about a year into an 18-month, 150-show tour. Some of his politics didn't go down too well! He has clearly not mellowed much ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 448
    Great to hear! Going to Manchester on Tuesday :D
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924

What ICBM says

tae be or not tae be
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    hootsmon said:

What ICBM says

That could pretty much be everyone else’s responses on tfb most of the time tbh.. 

Oh, apart from bass choice. When it comes to bass choice then the correct answer is “god, no.. not what @ICBM said..”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    MrSwanson said:
    That's why I haven't posted any pictures, although I did take a few - it might be a bit spoiler-ish :). You will be amazed, I think!

Oh, apart from bass choice. When it comes to bass choice then the correct answer is “god, no.. not what @ICBM said..”
    Well, he was playing his old black Precision last night and it did sound godlike, so I might have to agree with that point ;). He does have remarkably long arms, too - I struggle with the size of a P-bass, but I only have short ones...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    MrSwanson said:
    That's why I haven't posted any pictures, although I did take a few - it might be a bit spoiler-ish :). You will be amazed, I think!

Well, he was playing his old black Precision last night and it did sound godlike, so I might have to agree with that point ;). He does have remarkably long arms, too - I struggle with the size of a P-bass, but I only have short ones...
    Lol - I must admit I’d always asssumed he had some sort of weird short scale P bass but it turns out he just has freakishly long arms! Not a goading question, but why do you think he didn’t replace the Ric bass after it was stolen?
    Bridgehouse said:

Lol - I must admit I’d always asssumed he had some sort of weird short scale P bass but it turns out he just has freakishly long arms! Not a goading question, but why do you think he didn’t replace the Ric bass after it was stolen?
    Even I would have to admit that for what he does with it, the Precision sounds better :). It's a very 'simple' bass sound - and he doesn't really play anything very complex either - but it has such massive authority. A Rick doesn't have that huge piano-like power even with the bridge pickup cap removed.

ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Even I would have to admit that for what he does with it, the Precision sounds better :). It's a very 'simple' bass sound - and he doesn't really play anything very complex either - but it has such massive authority. A Rick doesn't have that huge piano-like power even with the bridge pickup cap removed.
    Lol - maybe the simple non complex style is why I prefer the P ;)

I must admit I have found myself placing individual notes by plucking the string well up the neck for a very wide deep and rich bell like tone. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
    you see that guitar last night?  a Tele with whammy and Strat PUP set up!
    tae be or not tae be
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    hootsmon said:
    you see that guitar last night?  a Tele with whammy and Strat PUP set up!
    Kilminster's? He has a few of those Strat/Tele mashup Suhrs now by the looks of it:

Image result for dave kilminster guitars

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I desperately wanted to see this when they came to Zürich, but I couldn't justify the tickets. Nearly 250 GBP for shit seats :( Kind of regretting not going though. I can't see him touring much more.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    The man's a hero of mine - not just for his music, but also for his politics and for the fact that he's not slowed down - to keep doing what he does night after night is incredible, and I get the sense that he doesn't just swan about between the shows but rather gets stuck in to the day-to-day logistics of keeping it all moving.

His latest album was a bit patchy and didn't exactly break new ground in terms of his songwriting, but there are a couple of absolutely stellar tracks on it - The Last Refugee and the title track blew me away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cirrus said:
    The man's a hero of mine - not just for his music, but also for his politics and for the fact that he's not slowed down - to keep doing what he does night after night is incredible, and I get the sense that he doesn't just swan about between the shows but rather gets stuck in to the day-to-day logistics of keeping it all moving.

His latest album was a bit patchy and didn't exactly break new ground in terms of his songwriting, but there are a couple of absolutely stellar tracks on it - The Last Refugee and the title track blew me away.
    And the last one, A Part Of Me Died. Even if he never records anything else, his body of work over the last fifty years speaks for itself.

I listened to Amused To Death yesterday, and it’s really quite scary how prophetic some of it is given that it was written half that time ago.

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 448
    WOW easily the best live performance I've seen. The sound was on point straightaway, most arena gigs I go to it takes a while to get the sound to settle down.

Big fan of Jonathan Wilson too, saw him in a small venue around March time so was pretty surreal seeing him with Roger!  
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844
    Gutted I missed out. I hung back in getting tickets thinking that he couldn't possibly play just the one London show and an outdoors one at that. 

I was wrong
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    I went to see Roger Waters in Manchester quite a few years back . . . Probably my favourite concert ever . . . Great show, great effects, the sound was amazing  . . . he's an oddball for sure but his back catalogue speaks for itself . . Genius 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  !