How many wah wah pedals is too many?

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
I think I currently own 8 wah pedals, though if you count the Helix as well then a few more!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    1 is too many for me. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Yeah, but I need them to go with my stripey bell bottoms

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited July 2018
    8 wahs? WOW! What's your favourite and why?

Out of interest, is there one wah that you have that works both really well on cleans for a quacky, funky tone and lead for Thin Lizzy, Slash vocal tone where it sounds wah-ish with the latter rather than phaser-ish?

I've been through a Budda, CAE, Xotic, Fulltone and I can't find that handles both really well. The Xotic was close and the Boss PW-3, which is the only wah I currently have, but that's up for sale, but it's decent and quite versatile.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I have 2 and literally haven't plugged either in in multiple years. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    edited July 2018
    I have a Clyde and a Wahoo. Use neither. The Clyde has been up for sale here for a while but not the Wahoo... I'll do a thread at some point but in the meantime, anyone want? Boxed, ungigged, £105 delivered. 

**EDIT**

I'll hang onto it for the moment....
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    How many feet do you have? Count that number and subtract one = correct number of Wahs. :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5142
    I have 2 and literally haven't plugged either in in multiple years. 

Likewise. Although to be fair, one is a Morley that I bought to use as a volume pedal. It does neither very well.

I've got a couple of wah patches programmed in to my M5s, but I don't even use those...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    edited July 2018
    How many feet do you have? Count that number and subtract two = correct number of Wahs.
    There, corrected that for you! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    29!....

28 is fine tho’
    My two favourites are an old purple Budda and a Roger Mayer 9090A, but the Gig FX Mega Wah is also pretty sweet.

Then there is a Morely Power Wah, AMT Japanese Girl, Carlsbro AC1160, George Dennis and a Snarling Dogs...

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    Two. I've settled on the Xotic and am happy (for now....!)
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    I don't actually have a wah, but could do with one for that slow mangled sweep while playing a power chord effect beloved of Dinosaur Jr and similar bands.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    ewal said:
    I don't actually have a wah, but could do with one for that slow mangled sweep while playing a power chord effect beloved of Dinosaur Jr and similar bands.
    Budda is good for that

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    ewal said:
    i have a coloursound wah clone and there's a knob on the side that adjusts... something? I'm not sure. But at the right settings, you can get a fat, synthy wub with a wide sweep that's great for those slow, swelling wah sounds.

I have four different wahs but my best wah for the classic sound is a v847 with some of the castledine mods and a castledine pots. Took a bit of experimentation to tune it *just right* but run into something gainy it sounds pretty incredible.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I'm down to five...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    How many is too many? Well, if you’re using them as reference sounds then you can have as many as you like. Live I’d struggle with more than two, one for clean and one overdriven.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    I have two - a Dunlop 535 (not Q) which is the best wah ever made in my opinion, and a Boss V-Wah.

The 535 is the only wah I’ve found which works equally well on clean and dirty sounds. It has four tone settings and a boost, which are easy to use on the fly - although the boost level control is an annoying fiddly and fragile trimpot on the underneath... I modded mine to a proper knob on the side, although normally it’s a set-and-forget thing anyway.

I actually like the sound and the versatility of the Boss, but it’s such a pain to adjust any of the secondary functions that it’s actually self-defeating. It has probably the least user-friendly editing procedure of any piece of equipment - musical or otherwise - I can think of. The built-in distortion is a bit shit too - but I like the concept of a fuzz-wah, and it’s quite good for that... and the Univibe setting is excellent, which is what I use it for mostly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I have an old 70's Colorsound Wah that's fried somehow and is permanently out of phase.

It sounds awesome!  B)  B) B)
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The Dunlop 535 is a good wah.

I'm just really into trying out different wah pedals at the moment,  though often just use my Budda, as it is simple no faff and just works.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I have a Wah and another Wah
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>