59 Dc with full carved top

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    WezV said:
      There is also a guy called Paul Reed Smith who makes a lot of carved top double cutaway stuff ;)

obviously Hamer too.

i like the idea. I always liked the DC les Paul’s Gibson made in the 90’s, although I think they were flat top.
    yes i know but i like the dc junior shape better and i don't like the tak ones either, just look like prs and we're not going there

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting you do the usual PRS  or Hamer shape, just that they have been successfully combining the features you are after for a while

A PRS Santana is not far off the Gibson DC shape, but is usually a 24 fret model, although I think some SE's are 22.

As far as neck angles, joins, and how to blend the carve into a different shape they are a good starting point

Gibson do this one, but I feel the rounding of body into neck throws off the DC shape even though it solves the neck join issue

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Classic-Double-Cutaway.aspx

This is the other style

Not flat top as I remembered, but the carve looks oddly unresolved in the neck area  - also 24 frets, but the neck is about 1 fret further into the body than a junior. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    WezV said:
      There is also a guy called Paul Reed Smith who makes a lot of carved top double cutaway stuff ;)

obviously Hamer too.

i like the idea. I always liked the DC les Paul’s Gibson made in the 90’s, although I think they were flat top.
    yes i know but i like the dc junior shape better and i don't like the tak ones either, just look like prs and we're not going there

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting you do the usual PRS  or Hamer shape, just that they have been successfully combining the features you are after for a while

A PRS Santana is not far off the Gibson DC shape, but is usually a 24 fret model, although I think some SE's are 22.

As far as neck angles, joins, and how to blend the carve into a different shape they are a good starting point

Gibson do this one, but I feel the rounding of body into neck throws off the DC shape even though it solves the neck join issue

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Classic-Double-Cutaway.aspx

This is the other style

Not flat top as I remembered, but the carve looks oddly unresolved in the neck area  - also 24 frets, but the neck is about 1 fret further into the body than a junior. 

Thanks wez, i know the carve is going to be the tricky part, I'll outline my initial first step leaving 5mm of maple and leave the horn areas until I've got the neck plane done and outline the fretboard, I'll probably come onto the body for the last fret end, they normally put that silly spacer on and nail it anyway, might need a small shim but no big deal, that's the beauty of a pin router i can alter angles easily

The mortice will be deep and flat then angle the tenon part, not sure what bridge yet, i do have a schaller signum i can take off something or an abr1 and stop tail
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Got a neck ready for routing a traditional truss rod, it's easier doing it square and get the headstock angles done first on the bandsaw then i use a no5 plane to get it flat and sqaure then I'll make a shim up so we have a 3mm difference between the heel and headstock end  

I route the channel on the overhead router, I'll probably do that tomorrow 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Got the cap glued on and trimmed to size 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    I just drew some rough lines out and route some steps  
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Next up pickup plane, this is just a rough idea of how i want it, this is all trial and error at the moment  
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    after scraping and sanding we get to this point, i think I'll cut the mortice next and it'll only be 50mm deep into the body so it's at the back of the humbucker route, it will be 45mm thick leaving 5mm or so to the bottom of the body, we'll see if that's strong enough  
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Looking great!
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    That's a great looking top - I find tops with lots of mineral streaks far more interesting and appealing than those with strongly pronounced flame or quilted patterns.

How is the build going?

tFB Trader
    breadfan said:
    That's a great looking top - I find tops with lots of mineral streaks far more interesting and appealing than those with strongly pronounced flame or quilted patterns.

How is the build going?
    You'll never find a perfect flamed piece of wood on my builds unless someone's paying, even then i try and put them off, they're so boring to look at

The builds on hold while I'm stuck into burst and goldtop stuff plus the odd normal dc junior, i need to decide if this will work or I'll just burst a flat top stuff a paf in the bridge and have fun, i forgot how different sc carved tops are so this one might not work as planned 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    WezV said:

obviously Hamer too.

I remember playing a DC in about ‘87 at A1 in Manchester. IIRC it was basically a LP standard. Caught my eye because the guitarist in Huey Lewis and the News had been playing one.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Looking forward to seeing the final result. I love DC LP-style guitars. Pat Travers had one made at Gibson, IIRC:

And Ron Thorn did a huge number until he (I think) worked out that it was tough to earn money making them. They were all custom-ordered but based on the non-symmetrical DC, and they had sorts of wood/etc configurations. This is one of the less-OTT results:

I think he explained his approach to the neck-body joint on his forum: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thornnewsanddiscussionpage/

tFB Trader
    goldtop said:
    Looking forward to seeing the final result. I love DC LP-style guitars. Pat Travers had one made at Gibson, IIRC:

And Ron Thorn did a huge number until he (I think) worked out that it was tough to earn money making them. They were all custom-ordered but based on the non-symmetrical DC, and they had sorts of wood/etc configurations. This is one of the less-OTT results:

I think he explained his approach to the neck-body joint on his forum: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thornnewsanddiscussionpage/

Thanks I'll try and find the discussion 

I do think I've made my mind up on the neck joint for this and it will be a bit like a lp long tenon and 335 heel so it's flush with the bottom of the body

I'm not sure when I'll get to this again but will work around commitments, thanks for the interest 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    The symmetrical Les Paul DC has been my favourite shape for a carved top since Simcha Delft published her guitar building course in International Musician in the late 70s.

I've got one that's work in progress but it's all a bit cobbler's shoes unfortunately...
    tFB Trader
    The symmetrical Les Paul DC has been my favourite shape for a carved top since Simcha Delft published her guitar building course in International Musician in the late 70s.

I've got one that's work in progress but it's all a bit cobbler's shoes unfortunately...
    I did a standard les paul dc shape at college years ago but i like the dc junior shape much better, i could alter the bits i didn't like but still prefer junior shape so won't bother now
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)