Withnail and I

What's Hot

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Fantastic film - I had always interpreted the ending soliloquy with the repeated ‘no nor woman neither’ as Withnail revealing that he was gay, and more specifically, gay for Marwood - which makes the whole thing even sadder. Am I alone in this? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    vale said:

it's curious that it appeared in the 1980s when there was that big 'school of UEA' creative writing contingent hitting the lit scene. martin amis, ian mckewan, kazuo ishiguro all writing in a brit way about very brit themes. 
    The time could be right for a good film adaptation of Amis' The Rachel Papers. It was made into a very bad film years ago but it could be such a good take on early 70's London. It could even bring back velvet loons.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    My thumbs have gone weird.

The "fork it" scene, with the kitchen sink piled high with things unwashed up reminds me of a flat shared by my brother and two of his fellow students.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3058
    "Ponce!"
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• westwest Frets: 996
    Fantastic film - I had always interpreted the ending soliloquy with the repeated ‘no nor woman neither’ as Withnail revealing that he was gay, and more specifically, gay for Marwood - which makes the whole thing even sadder. Am I alone in this? 
    scotched by bruce robinson i believe , it is weird that the nor woman thing isnt in the original shakespere quote ..

"Ponce!"
    "What fucker said that ? "
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243

Apparently he's not gay - Bruce answers the question at 21.10 - says if anything he's a-sexual, only person he loves is himself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    west said:
    "Ponce!"
    "What fucker said that ? "
    "I called him a ponce, and now I'm calling you a ponce.

PONCE!"

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31451
    I met Bruce Robinson a couple of times when he was roughing out ideas for Withnail and I, an acquaintance of mine was a cartoonist who was married to his sister Ellie. 

We all got monged together a few times and they were nice people, but it was all a bit posh for this South Wales teenager. Although I was very fond of my party substances at that time I still felt like the straight guy in a Comic Strip episode about beatniks. 
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    pure unadulterated  childs piss ...
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    Beautifully bonkers.... I love it  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    It must be me, but I just didn’t get it at all. I hadn’t seen it until a year or two ago - found it on DVD in a charity shop and thought it would be great since it’s always mentioned as a ‘must see’. But I found it slightly contrived, not that funny and largely pointless.

I can see why it’s a ‘cult’ film and it’s maybe better if you saw it back in the day and re-watch it to the point you know the lines, but I honestly can’t be bothered - it went back to the charity shop. MrsICBM felt the same, and she usually likes Richard E. Grant...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    But I found it slightly contrived, not that funny and largely pointless.
    You've been to the cinema to see other films though, right? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31451
    I tend to agree it probably hasn't held up that well if you didn't see it in the 80s, but it really was a beacon of light in that artistic desert of a decade, as was anything else which credited the consumer with a bit of intelligence. 

I haven't seen it since, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit clunky by modern standards. 
    ICBM said:
    It must be me, but I just didn’t get it at all. I hadn’t seen it until a year or two ago - found it on DVD in a charity shop and thought it would be great since it’s always mentioned as a ‘must see’. But I found it slightly contrived, not that funny and largely pointless.

I can see why it’s a ‘cult’ film and it’s maybe better if you saw it back in the day and re-watch it to the point you know the lines, but I honestly can’t be bothered - it went back to the charity shop. MrsICBM felt the same, and she usually likes Richard E. Grant...
    " arrgh ....  beastly ungrateful little swine ..."
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2931
    Don't threaten me with a dead fish.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    p90fool said:

I haven't seen it since, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit clunky by modern standards. 
    I think it's held up very well (good writing always will). It's definitely 'of its time' but the basic premise of young men feeling out of touch with the world and looking for somewhere to fit in is timeless.

I watched it again about a year ago and enjoyed it as much, or even more, than I did in the past.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    p90fool said:
    I tend to agree it probably hasn't held up that well if you didn't see it in the 80s, but it really was a beacon of light in that artistic desert of a decade, as was anything else which credited the consumer with a bit of intelligence. 

Ah 1987 - the paragon of film virtue. Not.

There were some classics that year. Lethal Weapon.. Predator.. Full Metal Jacket..

But in the edgy comedy and biting alternative humour? Good Morning, Vietnam, Maybe.... that’s about it tho. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9653
    Bring me the finest wines known to mankind.

Chin, chin.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679
    ICBM said:
    It must be me, but I just didn’t get it at all.
    Me neither.  I guess it was something completely different at the time and probably opened a lot of doors for other things that followed.   I watched it in the early 2000's and struggled to get through it.  Perhaps I'll try again one day....