I've got an audition! And a Kemper....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Can you get there an hour before the band?  Even if you have to pay for the additional time it'll be worth it not to be faffing around in front of everyone.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    sgosden said:

keep it simple, use a single profile and don't spend the whole audition tinkering :)

you're showing off your guitar ability and how your personality will fit with the band dynamic, not how well you can pick out nuances in your tone.

Wis’d
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Is there any in-ear/headphone monitoring available from the mixing desk? What monitoring will the the vocalist be using?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Freebird said:
    Is there any in-ear/headphone monitoring available from the mixing desk? What monitoring will the the vocalist be using?
    Blimey, I’ve no idea. I was just going to learn the songs and rock up and play them.... 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    I’m learning a lot reading through this thread. 

I am kinda stuck on one thought here though and that’s why doesn’t someone just give Dave an amp for a few days? A good old fashioned plug it in and make a noise device to take this headache away from the audition. 

If if you pass this part of the world at all, or can be bothered to come over, there’s a few you can choose from here @PC_Dave ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Get the Michael Britt Pack and you'll have sounds that were set up in a Live environment with PA use at the forefront of the reason for doing them - I got his Helix pack and used them as a base set of sounds - his Kemper ones are very well received.

You coming thru the PA may be a bit odd for them too tbh! They may love it or hate it as it does take time to get used to - also need to make sure they have enough inputs for you to go in the PA as they it sounds like a big band

In rehearsal you'll not need any monitoring - you'll hear yourself fine as will they, but for gigging you'll need something to hear yourself thru - either your own FRFR or the band monitors.

Also find out if they use IEMs - some bigger and more pro function bands do. 

For the audition for that sort of band you'll just be using nice tight clean sounds most of the time I imagine - bit of boost (either for leads or even just to get the vol up if it's not loud enough, and some FX.

Good luck!

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I'm using an unpowered toaster live with an 80's cover band. 

XLR L & R out to the desk and the monitor out to my DXR12 for monitoring.
    At smaller venues I've got the DXR mounted on a speaker pole about head height with the 30 degree down angle, still with a small feed into the PA.

I used to use a Line6 M13 stompbox modeller with my normal amps pre Kemper, I found I can use it to assign nine different Kemper rigs to each of the slots in scene mode amd can rename them on the M13 to mirror whats on the Kemper.

I know @drwiddly uses his live as well as an AxeFX, so hopefully he can give you some advice.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    p90fool said:
    Roland said:
    Audition Priorities:
    1. Can you work with each other?
    2. Does your playing style fit?
    Equipment doesn’t feature on the list.

It does if you're sweating away, scrolling through menus in a panic, wondering why you're either deafening or inaudible or you're suddenly cutting the singer's head off with inexplicable treble. 

The Kemper is doubtless perfect for the band long term, but translating a couple of perfectly ok home-tweaked patches to gig volume through an unknown PA can be very risky in a stress situation, when the player needs to be on top of their game in terms of watching and listening to everyone else in the room. 

I mean good luck and everything, it might just work perfectly, but don't be at all surprised if it sounds and feels very alien to start with. 
    This

equipement doesn’t matter - if it sounds good with little fuss.  
     Depends how relaxed the audition is - if it’s people you know already and just a first session together to check how it goes then you are probably ok to have a simple patch that works on the keeper into the PA explaining that you’ll buy some monitors.  
    - complete strangers and competing with other guitarists then I’d just borrow an amp for the night.  
     Rehearsal room might have something like a hrd anyway if you check.  
  • I’d get the Michael Britt 63 Vox Ace30 for this, sounds great, very useable for clean and driven tones and sits in a band mix perfectly. Probably my favourite profile and I use it most weekends through some large PAs and it’s only £10! Kemper will be great through the PA, just check levels as everyone says and if you are gigging with these guys think about some in ears for monitoring. Good luck! 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    edited July 2018
    andy1839 said:

I know @drwiddly uses his live as well as an AxeFX, so hopefully he can give you some advice.
    As @andy1839 says, I use an Axe FX and a Kemper for gigging (not at the same time though - that would be greedy!). Up until about a year ago, I always used a power amp and guitar cabs for stage monitoring with a feed from my preamp to the PA. Both bands I play with are pretty loud - 70's rock covers and 80's hard rock/metal covers - so I need a bit of grunt to be heard properly.

Last year I bought a dxr10 and have tried it at gigs a few times but I feel it runs out of steam a bit and I struggle to hear myself. Occasionally, I bring a 35w Wharfedale valve combo and plug into the fx return. The amp has a Celestion Neo Creamback fitted which has made it a fair bit lighter. That cuts through on stage at less than halfway on the volume control and sounds pretty neutral for a valve power stage. If it was just for me, the dxr10 would be fine for monitoring but the rest of the band need to hear me too and it's not powerful enough for that. Better monitoring for the whole band would help but we're not there yet.

As for your circumstances, I think you'll be fine through the PA at your audition so long as you select your profile(s) carefully but, if you get the gig, you'll need to think about your onstage sound/monitoring/in-ears.

Good luck with the audition.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    edited July 2018
    I'd bring my VH4 and fuck the horn players..........im probably not a good fit.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I would seriously avoid playing it through the rehearsal room PA if it was me. You’ll definitely need a powered speaker or power amp and cab.

Kemper sounds great through a PA, but a ginormous PA at a top venue is very different to a fucked powered mixer from 1982 with only one speaker working.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I would seriously avoid playing it through the rehearsal room PA if it was me. You’ll definitely need a powered speaker or power amp and cab.

Kemper sounds great through a PA, but a ginormous PA at a top venue is very different to a fucked powered mixer from 1982 with only one speaker working.
    There are plenty of rehearsal rooms with great equipment, they're not all shit.  We rehearse here:

http://www.quadstudios.co.uk/

And I nearly always just take my Helix and go direct

• John_A said:
    I would seriously avoid playing it through the rehearsal room PA if it was me. You’ll definitely need a powered speaker or power amp and cab.

There are plenty of rehearsal rooms with great equipment, they're not all shit.  We rehearse here:

I agree, I run one myself, but I’ve also been to plenty that are crap. I’ve also found that in general they’re not really equipped for proper sound reinforcement which you really need for going direct, just for vocals.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    John_A said:

I agree, I run one myself, but I’ve also been to plenty that are crap. I’ve also found that in general they’re not really equipped for proper sound reinforcement which you really need for going direct, just for vocals.

ahhh yes, gatehouse studio in Swindon springs to mind. The PAs sound like a wasp farting in a kettle.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    Well, how did you get on?!