Should I sell my LP?

What's Hot

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Sell it.  Get something you will play, or save the cash. Win both ways.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    HAL9000 said:
    Slightly confused here. Apart from my Telecaster which was a birthday pressie from Mrs9000, I'll buy and sell as I please. Did MrsGearaddict buy the Les Paul for you? Or is there some sentimental value such as it was bought with an inheritance?
    No, I'm just scared of her. She's German.
    Tell her you’ll use the money to buy a Duesenberg....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    Picked it up today to see if I would appreciate it anew. Fucker will not stay in tune. Fucking LPs. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    yeah sell it - that tiger striping looks hideous!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Some very flippant posts here. You have multiple guitars and don't ned to sell ? See it as a library, you never know when you might want to pick up that book again, if only for reference.That's a privilege not to be relinquished easily. I have 50  plus guitars, tour and record for a living, certainly don't use them all, but come back to guitars I haven't played for ages to find that I'm getting something different out due to what Ive learned playing something else. Not sure if that makes sense to you , but never sell a guitar your not sure about just for the cash. 
    This.

Since rejoining my old band. I've been experimenting with various guitars at rehearsals. I bought an LP in Jan 17. I'm not playing it much at the moment. But it's a nice example. The used market isn't great at the moment. So I might as well keep it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Picked it up today to see if I would appreciate it anew. Fucker will not stay in tune. Fucking LPs. ;)
    Sounds like it might need the nut slots cut properly.  Apparently a common issue with Gibson LPs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    Get a set up on it then hang it on the wall so you have easy access to it then play it a bit. I do find some Les Pauls uncomfortable to play. 
    Don't touch that dial.
    ^ this.  Expensive, but it works a treat and one tube lasts forever.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    artiebear said:
    Some very flippant posts here. You have multiple guitars and don't ned to sell ? See it as a library, you never know when you might want to pick up that book again, if only for reference.That's a privilege not to be relinquished easily. I have 50  plus guitars, tour and record for a living, certainly don't use them all, but come back to guitars I haven't played for ages to find that I'm getting something different out due to what Ive learned playing something else. Not sure if that makes sense to you , but never sell a guitar your not sure about just for the cash. 
    If you're touring and recording, maybe. The vast majority of us who play for ourselves don't need that sort of collection. I find it bizarre that many home players these days seem to own more gear than most professional musicians and many rock stars did not that long ago.

If you don't use it, aren't likely to use it, and don't particularly like it - sell it. You can always buy another guitar, maybe something more different and interesting. You don't "need" the "classic" guitar types.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've regretted selling almost every guitar I've ever sold. I only ever sold one when I needed the money, so I'm grateful the sale got me out of a tight spot, but, even though I'm more of a Strat and Tele player, I'd definitely regret selling my Les Paul.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, I don't have sale clearance from Mrs Addict so it's a moot point atm but I think I will move it on at some point. Whenever I pick it up I just think "well, this is uncomfortable and out of tune" and put it down again.It's funny coz I did had a Japanese LP copy that was my main guitar for a while and I got on fine with that. Plus, I must have connected with it initially or it would have gone straight back. I think I want to be a 'Les Paul guy' (whatever that is!) but maybe I'm just not. Anyway, I'll hang on to it for a while...maybe I'll come back to it.
    Ha - looks like I have managed to wear Mrs Addict down and now have sale clearance for the LP. Yay. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    It won’t be your last.....

I brought number 4 home yesterday. Hoping it’s the one but if not, I’ll let it find a better home than me. 

But of course, good luck with the impending sale. :)
    Ha - looks like I have managed to wear Mrs Addict down and now have sale clearance for the LP. Yay. :)
    Did Mrs Addict say "Go ahead and sell it if you want"?  Because that really means "You Will Pay For This Later".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 470
    edited July 2018
    I’m the worst person to ask about getting rid of guitars. I own around 80 and know that there’s no way I need so many. The trouble is that every time I decide to sell one I give it a play and realise why I bought it in the first place so back it goes into the guitar room. Many years ago I was in a Guitar shop that used to be at the back of Argents keyboard shop in London’s Denmark Street and remarked that they’d have a job selling some of their guitars at the prices they were asking and the sales guy said “well they don’t eat anything “. Keep the LP, it’s not costing you anything .I’ve got one and they’re nice guitars, you’ll pick it up one day and fall in love with it again.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    edited July 2018

I own around 80
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are less than that in the shop I work for, including all the acoustics and basses.

Edit - there are 71 guitars, including acoustics and basses, plus one banjo and nine ukeleles. 81 instruments in total.

Maybe you should open a shop...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    ICBM said:

I own around 80
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were fewer than half as many as @HarrySeven has
    FTFY :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    ICBM said:

I own around 80
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were fewer than half as many as @HarrySeven has
    FTFY :)

Correct! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    Looks like your decision is pretty much made, but I'll chime in anyway... I personally would sell it, although I have sold a few guitars that I really regret getting rid of. Having said that, if you don't sell it you can always change your mind later, but once it's gone then it's unlikely that you'd get it back
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)