Wampler - Tumnus v Euphoria

What's Hot
AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
I'm looking at options for expanding my pedal board and been quite impressed by what I have read about these pedals, however, would not look at buying both.  I'm more temtped by the Euphoria at present as reviews suggest that it gives a more "transparent' overdrive and can hear the individual notes.  I'm not a fan of fuzz.  Anyone on here with experience of these? I'd appreciate your comments
To give a context, it will not be my only O/D pedal as I'm looking at a blackface type pedal and will keet my Sansamp for its Mesa option
Thanks for any help
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Thanks for the suggestion, Cheers

• FezFez Frets: 522
    The video I watched of the new Tumnus I thought it didn't sound particularly special. I would also suggest looking at the Mad Professor stuff. Choosing drive pedals is quite tricky these days as there are so many on the market and so many of them are quite similar. The best thing is to get down to a shop and try some.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Fez said:
    The video I watched of the new Tumnus I thought it didn't sound particularly special. I would also suggest looking at the Mad Professor stuff. Choosing drive pedals is quite tricky these days as there are so many on the market and so many of them are quite similar. The best thing is to get down to a shop and try some.
    Do you have a link for the video?
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    edited July 2018
    I have the Euphoria. I haven't tried the Tumnus.

I have to say that I absolutely love it!
    It has 3 options but I only use the Open setting as it has a lot of headroom. The others are Ok but can become too compressed if you aren't careful. Then again you might like that.

In the open position it has a drive sound that is very, very dynamic and has what I call a "clean" distortion. You can push your guitar into overdrive with just your pick attack and it is very expressive for soloing. To me it is a very sweet sound and doesn't mask the guitar. 
    You have to watch the bass control because as, Wampler says, it's not really a bass control but resonance and above 9ish it can get a bit boomy.  Wampler uses it with it off, I like some in there!

It's a great pedal that if it broke I would have to get another. I rely on it for my sound because it suits the way I play. 
    Good luck choosing.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    I find the Tumnus outstanding;
    Fattens sound, you get a wider more expansive boost that sounds like 2 guitars and the drive is very crisp and precise without getting muddy ......the only downside is that it can get a bit Bass heavy but that is what the TONE knob is for .
    It is a great sound at 50 % gain but it wasn't' designed to be a distortion or heavy drive pedal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    edited July 2018
    They are vastly different pedals imho...

1.) Tumnus - naturally, it's a Klone, so it does that klone thing - and by that I mean it's at its best with that slight break-up sound.

2.) Euphoria - vastly underrated in pedal land, again imho. Versatile pedal that can do boost/OD/and heavier sounds. Closest pedal I've come across to a Cornish G2. I'd personally go for this one...

If it's a Blackface type pedal, I'd plumb for the (non discontinued) Wampler Black '65 which comes up cheap now and again.

With all OD pedals though, as recent threads have testified, sometimes there are only marginal differences. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks again for all the help and suggestions
    Just for some extra input, played the tumulus through a blues deluxe at gig volume today and it sounded absolutely lush!

Added so much that I left it on for pretty much the whole time!
     Took my Blade R2 into Guitar Guitar this morning to try out pedals and came home with the Wampler Euphoria. Thanks to everyone who took time to post on this thread, every comment was helpful and much appreciated
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Wait until you really get in to it. It has a lot to yield.
    TA22GT said:
    Wait until you really get in to it. It has a lot to yield.
    Have had a great afternoon with it at home going into my Mesa Blue Angel.  Really impressed with the quality of the tone as well as the range of tones.  I'm now seriously thinking of getting a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe to stack with it. 
    Bit the bullet and bought the Tumnus Deluxe as well - early days but seems to stack well with the Euphoria
    Keep us posted on your progress. I love the Euphoria and have thought of trying a Tumnus instead of my Archer.
    I find I only like the Archer as a boost.
    I tried the Tumnus deluxe when I picked up the regular Tumnus. Fantastic pedal, but I needed the smaller footprint.

Definitely keep us posted.
    terada said:
    I tried the Tumnus deluxe when I picked up the regular Tumnus. Fantastic pedal, but I needed the smaller footprint.

Definitely keep us posted.
    Will do.  Early days, but great potential.  The two pedals complement each other - have tumnus stacking into euphoria. Two completely different pedals.  Prior, used Tech 21 Sansamp which is very versatile, but the Wampler pedals are a different class in quality of tone.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    @terada ; It was in Guitar Interactive 55 http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?eid=82eebed5-8845-457a-9bd1-b2d3244b4927
    Tom Quayle gives it a great review.
    Don't touch that dial.
    Fez said:
    Thanks for posting. I never knew of this mag - I'll be looking through the other issues!
  • I am very interested in your thoughts on the comparison of these two. So is the honeymoon period over? What do you think of the pedals now? Do you still have both and use them or have you decided against one?
  • I have a Euphoria (actually an Ecstacy which is showing it's age!) and it's one of the few pedals that I never think of retiring.. very versatile, nice an transparent and dynamic. Super..

As noted bass is best backed right off for 'standard' but fuzzes up nicely if you crank it.

Si