Advanced mixer routing

Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24211
Well - it's advanced for me !!

This is our live setup (see pic that took me ages to create !).

We're using a Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer.  My goal is to get four aux sends out of it to provide the band with four unique IEM mixes.  The problem I have is that whilst the mixer has four aux sends, Aux 3 is used internally as an FX-send.  In other words, it's used for reverb on the vocals.  If I use an external reverb unit (which I have), then I can reclaim Aux 3 for an IEM mix, thus giving me the four I seek.  (If you plug anything into the Aux 3 send socket, it routes the bus out of the socket and bypasses the internal effects unit).  I know that Aux 3 and 4 sends are fixed as post-fader, and it's an extra bit of faffing as a result, but it's not a deal breaker.

(If you need to download it to view it more clearly it's here:- https://postimg.cc/image/ujjiad0bb/ )

SO.....  My question to you is.....   where can I place the external reverb unit so that it only effects channels 1, 2 & 3 ?

The current routing is:-

VOX1 - mic into the mixer.  Compander in series via the channel insert point.  Channel assigned to Submix Bus 1 ONLY.
             Submix 1 out goes through one channel of the feedback destroyer then back in via Channel 11 of the mixer which is
             assigned to the Main Mix as normal.  This way, the lead singer's IEMs are taken post-compander but pre-feedback
             destroyer.

VOX2 - mic into the mixer.  Channel assigned to Submix Bus 2 ONLY.  Submix 2 out goes through the other channel of the feedback destroyer then back in via Channel 12 of the mixer which is assigned to the main mix as normal.

VOX3 - mic into the mixer.  Channel assigned to Submix Bus 2 ONLY.  Submix 2 out goes through the other channel of the feedback destroyer then back in via Channel 12 of the mixer which is assigned to the main mix as normal.

INSTRUMENTS - assigned / not assigned to the Main Mix as needed (but all are in the IEM mixes).

I've drawn a connection from Aux 3 Send in the diagram as this is what I'm trying to achieve, but obviously, at present, there is nothing in Aux 3 Send as we need that bus for the internal reverb unit.

The mixer has four Subgroup busses, two currently unused, so I'm suspecting it might go somewhere between the Submix outs 3/4 and a return somewhere.

Any suggestions on improving the wiring setup welcome too !!

The mixer pics and details are here:- http://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Analog/UB2442FX-PRO/p/P0136

Many thanks in advance !!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited July 2018
    My immediate thought was run the channels through a sub group as well as straight through and take sub group out into reverb and back into a spare channel on the mixer. 
    Did think about using sub group out themselves for monitor mix but as they are paired on the channel this will only give you 2 mixes

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24211
    The problem is - I'm all outta channels !  I can subgroup the channels I want reverb on and, as you say, feed that into the reverb.  Where to stick the return is my problem.  The only inputs I have left are non-channel ones, i.e. Aux returns and the "2-Track" IN Phonos.
    edited July 2018
    2 track in might work from your diagram channel 10 is free, other option pull a mic off the drums
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Actually you could bring the reverb back in on an aux return
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24211
    ..and that wouldn’t mess wi... (sound of mental gears grinding)...   You’re right!  I’ve got four Aux returns that feed straight into the main mix.  Thanks @maltingsaudio - that’s just what I was looking for  =)