John Hullah Guitars - Anyone Owned/Played One ???

WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
I bought a jumbo new once from John;  a wonderful guitar made by a wonderful character !

I visited his shop in Anglesey, and spent some time with him. He used to work for Fylde, I believe and his acoustics were superb imho.

Anyone else played one ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Yep, I've got one of his OM/00 sized guitars. Cedar top and mahogany (or Rosewood) back and sides. It's a lovely guitar and probably my favorite out of the various  6 strings I own.  I imagine it's similar to a Fylde, but haven't played many of their guitars so couldn't really say. Very underrated luthier I think. Is he still building?

• grayngrayn Frets: 880
    He made an acoustic bass guitar for me, about 20 years ago.  Great quality.  Really nice guy, too.  Sold it, unfortunately.
  • Mercedes300Mercedes300 Frets: 30
    edited March 2022
    I have a Brazillian rosewood '690 model'. It really is a thing of beauty, with a 3 piece Brazillian back & sides, spruce top, and ebony fingerboard.Even the binding has been done in wood (probably maple, although I'm not sure. It has a very unusual cut away that gives easy access to the top fret. Breedlove guitars appear to have a similar cut- away. The guitar is fitted with locking machine heads. The label inside is signed by Mr. Hullah, and is dated 1998. this would make it one of the last guitars John Hullah built, as I've never seen one listed with a later date. It comes in the original Hullah case, and the guitar is unmarked.

I have been advised that I shouldn't have listed this guitar as for sale here, so I have moved the details to the acoustics for sale section. My sincere apologies to the site moderators.

Mercedes300

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    @Mercedes300 you may want to move your post to the For Sale thread, lest you incur the wrath of the mods :) 

P.S. this thread explains how to post pictures 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54241/posting-pics-vids-soundclips-how-to
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited March 2022
    The name is a new one on me but thanks for the post @Wazmeister ; 1
  • Drofluf thanks for the instruction on how to post photos on here, and the heads up regarding my mistake in saying my Hullah was for sale in this forum. I wasn't trying to do anything dodgy, but when I noticed there was a thread regarding Hullah guitars, I thought it would be the ideal place to mention I was looking to sell mine. I will post an advert on the for sale section, as you advise. Unfortunately, i will not be able to use your instructions to enable me to post photos. I have already posted a lot of my photos on photobucket, but they have closed this service, and the photos are now lost. I have purchased a stand-alone hard drive, and will keep them safe myself. I din't want to enrol on another photo hosting company. Thanks for trying to help though.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @Mercedes300 ; - don't let it worry you mate, no harm done ;)