Friedman Small Box Combo Vs Friedman DS40 Head & Cab

What's Hot
TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
Just some advice please if you will. :)

I currently have a DS40 Head & Cab. I love the clean sound, I love the edge of breakup and I love the gain sounds. It’s just great. But it’s one channel. And I really find it a hassle having to fiddle with the controls trying to find the different tones between songs.

I’m in a rock covers band. If we play a Beatles song I’ve got to switch to the low gain and EQ. Then the next song it’s Creep, so I’ve got to go to the high gain, check it’s the right amount of gain, EQ (the EQ is very sensitive to the gain settings on this amp) and then I’ve got to check the boost settings on my pedal etc. To me this is a bit of a hassle. I also feel that rolling off the volume means I don’t get the great clean tones so if I want great cleans I need to use pedals for the overdriven tones, and that’s why you buy the amp! So I don’t feel like I can get the best out of the amp. 

I like classic tones, to more modern tones. Think Beatles, Stones to Led Zeppelin for cleans and gain to Punk rock. I had run Runt and found it too bright. 

A Small Box Custom has 3 channels and is available locally. 

Would this amp amp suit me more? Not too bright. Good clean tones, good all round sounds for what I want?

Thanks all. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PablocrackersPablocrackers Frets: 181
    edited July 2018
    Both killer amps and will do what your after but yeh the DS bit more fiddly would probably need a pedal to boost it. In comparison to the SB the DS is looser more sag a hell of a lot more bass does early rock tones the best and edge of breakup / bluesy best imo, the SB is a much tighter rock machine no Flub here, for me the Plexi channel is worth the price of the amp alone really killer tone cleans up great & hit it with a good quality boost for another awesome tone. I have the WW custom version so its 3 channels but i run the gain maxed on channel 1 also and roll back for cleaner tones no problem so its more like 4 channels Plexi clean - AC-DC crunch - jcm800-ish BE crunch - Solo. They are both quite different amps but equally awesome in there own right. The SB covers more ground and can go a bit further then the DS in terms of modern Rock - more tighter - more immediate - more gain. The SB has a quick attack about it very dynamic & responsive the DS is more laid back looser flabby style Good luck 
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Doesn't the small box have a shared eq?

Can't see it being that much easier to manage.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Thanks @Pablocrackers some food for thought there!

@DanR most amps I’ve used have shared EQ or have been amps like a DDRI or a Bassman where I have to compromise on the EQ when adding pedals etc. I think you can compromise on that to be honest and get a good balance.  
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    Without wanting to hijack, this is exactly why i've found the Brunetti Pleximan to work so well.

It has a clean channel, Drive channel (Plexi-ish) and a Hot Rod boost of this channel, and a master solo boost. Might be worth a look on Youtube to see what you think.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    @TeleMaster surely that compromise is the same though.

As the mini toggle just changes the amount of gain available so it's an eq compromise that works across the different amounts of gain.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DanR said:
    @TeleMaster surely that compromise is the same though.

As the mini toggle just changes the amount of gain available so it's an eq compromise that works across the different amounts of gain.

Yea that’s what I’m saying. The EQ issue isn’t an issue for me. What is an issue is being unable to use the clean tone in the amp and the gain tone. 
  • The SB does have a shared EQ but its not an issue all 3 channels are really well balanced its not like a Fender clean or on some amps where the 3 channels are totally different its a Plexi clean + Gain pot the BE + Boost channels are hot rodded Plexi they all work really well together on the same EQ no probs its easier then the DS if you wanna set the 3 channels gain levels how you like them Channel one could be completely clean if you like then crunch and solo all by the footswitch you can do the same with the DS using your volume pot lowering the gain switch and then having a decent OD pedal but it will never sound the same as a SB or BE still an awesome amp tho i loved it just has a tonne of bass in it and i dont think it can get as heavy as the SB or BE more suited for classic rock imo ymmv
  • An inexpensive try is to buy a Klone or borrow one and ride the volume control on the guitar - Will feel good too!
    The Friedmans i've had have all cleaned up nicely!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Without wanting to hijack, this is exactly why i've found the Brunetti Pleximan to work so well.

It has a clean channel, Drive channel (Plexi-ish) and a Hot Rod boost of this channel, and a master solo boost. Might be worth a look on Youtube to see what you think.
     a Wis to @Moltisanti ; - just googled these myself and I think I may have wet myself...
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    edited July 2018
    I have a Friedman Smallbox combo and it's fantastic.

I do fancy a Dirty Shirley as well, if just for that particular AC/DC type sound, but a) I can get very close with the SB and b) even if I did pick up a DS, there's no way I'd be letting the SB go for it.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    edited July 2018
    I had both a smallbox head/cab and a dirty shirley head/cab for a couple of years .Both great amps but imho the smallbox doesn't really sound like the dirty Shirley or react like it either.
    The cleans especially are very different , the gains also - you can get them in the same ballpark but there are still distinct differences in tone and feel.
    I spent hours and hours switching between the two rigs trying to decide which I liked better and eventually sold the smallbox rig and kept the DS rig.
    Fwiw I think Pablo is spot on in his appraisal of both amps . mine was the standard 2 channel smallbox 50 head though and I also had the issue that Danr points out regarding the shared eq.
    I'd keep the Shirley on the edge of breakup and use your guitar volume for cleaner tones and boost it for more gain. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I think pedals are the easiest option when versatility is the main goal. Try looking into a good clean amp and a Helix HX or similar. 
    I think pedals are the easiest option when versatility is the main goal. Try looking into a good clean amp and a Helix HX or similar. 
    I’m keeping the DS. The cleans are loud on the low gain setting and it’s a great platform for pedals. I have a Helix (and a Kemper) but I also have a good, Terra 42 sized pedal board with an ES8 switcher. I’m gonna start using that a bit more I think.

:)

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I think sticking with the DS is a good idea.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • i_b_tullochi_b_tulloch Frets: 105
    edited August 2018
    I have both DS combo and 3ch SB combo. Both are stunning. As others have mentioned I think running the DS with pedals is what you should consider in the first instance. Having said that I think the SB would do all you want out of the box. The 3ch SB version is absolutely worth the extra cash over the standard one. No pedals needed with that amp. I mainly use a Suhr Kiko boost or Siba Drive with these amps when I do use pedals and they are just like an extension of the amp.

Pablos description is spot on. DS has so much low end, SB has so much mids. I can get the SB to sound similar to the DS with mid completely off and bass maxed, but the feel is still a lot tighter and more immediate on the SB.

Both combos are so practical, light and portable. I have considered getting a custom DS with similar channel setup to the SB 3ch version, but have held off so far as the standard DS takes pedals so well and works so well with the guitar volume knob. I have grown to really like it’s simplicity. All you need is a reverb in the loop and a good boost and your volume knob you are done for blues/rock.
    My Trading Feedback Link is here i_b_tulloch

Thanks for the reply. I’ve decided to keep the DS. I also bought a Carol-Ann Tucana 3r hehe
  • How does the CA sound compared to the DS?

edited August 2018
    Well I got it and it had to be sent back as there was something rattling around in side of it. Playing at home volumes won’t tell me anything so when I have a band practice in a week or so I’ll let you know. 

What i I can tell you is that the input gain controls are a fantastic feature. They are separate from the gain control.

I’ve never had an amp with that on it before. If you set it to say, 9 O clock and you have a Strat or a LP, nothing too high gain, wherever you put the channel gain knob it’ll always be in classic rock territory. From edge of breakup at the beginning of the gain sweep to Led Zep overdriven sounds at the top end. 

Turn it it up to say 12 O clock and turn up the gain and you’re getting into hard rock stuff, suitable for punk rock etc. And then if you go further with the input gain you get a whole sweep of metal sounds from classic to modern, all depending on pickups of course. 

I wish there was a way to save presets on an amp like this. The versatility is remarkable. 

Compared to the DS tone wise, I really need to check it out at practice like I said, but the DS is killer tone, simple useage. This has three channels and a wealth of tones. 

I’ll probably keep the DS40 too, but I much prefer a two/three channel amp. So if the tones are up to scratch this is probably exactly what I’ve been looking for. 

I’ll keep you updated. 
  • Nice one. 

• I think Carol Ann amps are awesome amps that just haven't taken off here in the UK. I've had nearly all the high gainers and they're up there with the best

HNA