65 DRRI mods

LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1198
Picked up a 65 DRRI at the weekend courtesy of @horsehead and I fancy trying a few mods from this here website: https://robrobinette.com/AB763_Modifications.htm ;
Mainly the robrob Normal Channel Reverb Mod, Master Volume Mod, Stop Trem Ticking (unless it has digital trem) and also adjusting the tone stack on the Normal channel.

Just wondering if anyone's tried any of these or similar? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just had a look and definitely has the digital trem. Is there any way to stop the ticking or possibly convert to an opto trem (assuming I can source the bits)?
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 795
    edited July 2018
    I had the Fritz mod on mine, which runs the normal channel through reverb and trem, and puts it in phase with the vib channel so you can jumper and blend them without weird phase cancellations - effectively allows you to blend in varying amounts of ‘bright’ to suit pedals.
    This may be the same as the mod you’ve listed - it’s effectively a short length of wire and a couple of (dis)connections.
    It works brilliantly - having proper control over the brightness makes the amp far easier to use at both low and high volumes particularly with pedals. Most of the time I use the normal channel with either very little or no bright channel mixed in, as the reverb circuit itself adds a bit of brightness.

I had the tremolo tick mod which did quieten it noticeably although mine is an older reissue with the opto trem. I understand that the digital trem can be calibrated to help with this?

The other thing I did was swap the stock Jensen C12K for a Cannabis Rex which is more efficient, lighter and to my ears clearer and more balanced sounding at all volume levels, whereas the C12K seemed to go from muddy at low volumes to harsh at high volumes, without any real sweet spot in between.

Forgot to mention - it’s worth checking inside the reverb tank bag to see if the tank has the little vibration damping sponge/brass washer widgets fitted through the holes in the bottom lip. If it’s missing them, the tank is far more prone to acoustic and vibration feedback. 
  • Thanks for the feedback, I think it’s pretty similar to the fritz mod as it allows you to blend the channels. It’s got a wgs reaper in it which sounds nice - I’ll have to look into the trem calibration although I’d rather install the prior circuit if I can. 
  • Looks like hotrox sell the optocouplers, need to have another look at the board but pretty sure there’s an empty pad for it - guessing I can disconnect the digital card, for the opto and hey presto. Would then be able to try the mod to stop the ticking. 
    Hopefully @icbm will be along in a bit! ;)