Fender Deluxe P-Bass???

What's Hot
Looking to buy a P-Bass and thought these looked pretty cool. Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Are they the active PJ Mexican ones? I think I had a go on one last year. 

IIRC they are great, if you like the active set up on them - I think you can run them passive for that trad sound too
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    if you like the active set up on them
    If... 

I have briefly tried the American Elite P and J Bass models and the American Deluxe Dimension Bass. I did not care for the active EQ on any of them. Maybe, the centre frequency choices were wrong for my tastes? Maybe, they just were not adding anything to the sound of the instruments? For all that I know, there might be mini DIP switches on the PCB that allow those centre frequencies to be altered. (I write this as somebody who likes active EQ on bass guitars. Just not whatever Fender has been installing of late.)

I think you can run them passive for that trad sound too
    Indeed, you can ... but that pretty much defeats the object of paying extra for the active EQ circuitry.

The Fender UK website says that the MIM Deluxe P Bass retails for slightly over nine hundred Pounds. That money would buy a pre-owned American Fender bass. It is almost enough to land a brand new example of the last of the superseded American Standard models.
    Be seeing you.
    Indeed it would - for that money you could buy my 2009 AVRI 62 Precision - which I'd sell for that as it's got a few dings in the back so it isn't perfect - they usually go for 300 or so more. It's passive of course, US, the AVRI range, and very well regarded. 
    edited July 2018
    Looking at the published specs for the MIM Deluxe Active P Bass Special, I notice that the fingerboard radius is 12" and its nut width is a Jazz-tastic 1.5". To some potential purchasers, these dimensions could be a deal breaker. 

By comparison, the AVRI '62 (and AVRI '63) Precision Bass has the period correct 7.25" radius and a nut width of 1.75". To some potential purchasers, these dimensions could be a finger breaker.

This recently introduced model could be an interesting compromise.

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/precision-bass/player-precision-bass/0149802534.html#start=1

Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Some of us real men like our 7.25"/1.75" ;)
    edited July 2018
    Thread killer. :-p
    Be seeing you.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    There's slightly older passive PJ versions with a Jazz profile neck out there, well worth hunting down.
    Probably worth waiting until @gibsongretschfan returns to this thread with a clearer idea of what he expects of a bass guitar.
    Be seeing you.
  • There's slightly older passive PJ versions with a Jazz profile neck out there, well worth hunting down.
    Ooooh now that sounds about right!

• Probably worth waiting until @gibsongretschfan returns to this thread with a clearer idea of what he expects of a bass guitar.
    I’m really looking for a bass for recording, I want that authentic P-Bass sound but im willing to compromise on just about everything else.

saying that, being the gig slut I am it will probably end up being gigged too!