Quiet OD Pedal

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
Can anyone suggest an overdrive pedal that has very little excess noise? I love the sound of the gain that I can get from my RYRA Klone but when the output or gain is set higher than noon it produces way too much hiss.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    I think some degree of hiss is inherent with high gain so it may be worth looking at a Boss NS2 if it is too bothersome. That Pedal Show did an episode this week on that very issue which might be worth a watch.
    Aside from that, the Barber Gain Changer covers a wide range of gain, sounds ace and is pretty quiet..
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    Thorpy's Peacekeeper, aptly enough, is very quiet as well as being a fabulous low-gain OD and indeed can be set to be very Klonlike 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591

The stock chip in a lot of pedals is the TL072 and it is over 30 yrs old and there ARE now better, quieter ones!

That said, most of the noise in high gain circuits comes from the resistors, not the active devices. This can be reduced by clever design , basically keeping R values low but, as Beexter says, noise is inherent in such high gain devices.

One solution is a noise gate and another (not used in pedals AFAIK? ) pre and then de emphasis. Both systems have their drawbacks especially the latter with headroom, mainly because the is very little with a 9 volt supply.

Dave.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    Can anyone suggest an overdrive pedal that has very little excess noise? I love the sound of the gain that I can get from my RYRA Klone but when the output or gain is set higher than noon it produces way too much hiss.

Thanks
    How are you powering your pedals mate ? My RYRA is silent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    +1 on the Peacekeeper
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    In don't have any specific recommendations, although in my experience noise levels do vary a fair bit. I have a Mad Professor Royal Blue which is really pretty low noise, for example, even with the gain fairly high. And others, which I also like the tone of, where the noise levels are really noticeable. In my case, I'm using single coils, too.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    Might not be the pedal that's your issue though which is worth bearing in mind. I don't have any experience with the one you've mentioned specifically but cabling, power, pickups and other factors cause noise.

My old bass player had a bunch of cheap pedals, a 10 quid PSU and crap cables and it made such a racket but it was the culmination of all factors.

Not easy to test the theory unless you have a guitarist mate who you can compare pedal set ups with.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    But get a Peacekeeper anyway because they're awesome :-)
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222

Thanks
    How are you powering your pedals mate ? My RYRA is silent

I've got a really simple rig, telecaster > laval cable > RYRA > laval cable > Princeton Reverb.... and the RYRA is powered by a Cioks DC5 that I have from when I had more pedals. So I can't see there being much of an issue really, maybe I just got a noisy one?