How on Earth do you tame a loud drummer???

What's Hot
So the drummer in my band is amazing. He's got great groove, time etc, and sings at the same time.
The trouble is he hits them too bloody hard. I see people in pain in the audience. 
Whenever me or the other band members bring it up he gets offended and upset and sulks.

Help!!!!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Ask him. He’s your local expert, and the one who has to work with any solution. Suggest that the only solution you’ve seen is acrylic screens, and you’re not happy with that.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    Make him wear a hearing aid, set to maximum sensitivity?

Possibly different sticks, or an electronic kit?
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Tell him you've had complains from the venue staff then buy him one of these ;)

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Tbh, ff he can’t control his volume, he’s not a very good drummer, some venues aren’t big enough for screens so maybe have a grown up conversation with him and say that you have had noise complaints from venues that he particularly likes playing at
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Dont you set your levels before you play so nothing dominates?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    If you find out, let me know.  I sometimes play with a really good friend, who knows he plays loud and gets carried away, but despite best intentions usually fails to restrain his natural exuberance. I did get him to tone it down once, but I think it was one of those miracle days when everything just aligned ;)

In his defence, he doesn't sulk; he's just totally unrepentant :)
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    So the drummer in my band is amazing. He's got great groove, time etc, and sings at the same time.
    The trouble is he hits them too bloody hard. I see people in pain in the audience. 
    Whenever me or the other band members bring it up he gets offended and upset and sulks.

Help!!!!!!
    He might have great groove, timing etc, but his apparent lack of dynamic control marks him down heavily and suggest he isn't quite that amazing. Not sure what to suggest, but there's a significant area of his technique lacking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Almost every drummer I’ve played with has trotted out the same line, “there’s no volume control on a drum kit.” There is, it’s the fucking drummer! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31588
    Fire him, find someone less childish and /or egotistical. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    take his crayons and colouring in books away from him until he learns to play quieter. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    As @richh says, ask him to try different (lighter) drum sticks.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Unless he really can't play more quietly (unlikely, it sounds like he just likes hitting hard) then flats and different cymbals can make a huge difference in volume.
  • Tell him, however hard he hits his drums, is how hard you’ll punch him in the bollocks after the gig.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    How balanced is the sound. Chances are the share and cymbals dominate. Ask him to play the kit together and balanced. The  it's his problem. Record the results of his efforts.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    Tell him to buy an electronic drum kit!

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    What sort of gigs do you play? Loud drummers have never ever been a problem for me. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    You won’t take him.     Some drummers struggle to play quietly and I would include some of the best drummers I know in that.    I left a band earlier this year for that reason - amazing player and a mate but he is only suited to decebt stages and venues designed for a loud band not pubs.  He was a bit of an exception, other drummers I know are too loud imo but just manageable at pub gigs if you can balance the sound - less in the pa and careful eq to give spread not volume. 
    I would either live with it and accept some gigs are too small for that lineup or experiment with a screen.    
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Taser?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Years ago I played with an insanely loud drummer. He started going deaf and played louder. Don't play with him anymore.

Conversely i was in a jam band with a drummer who just couldn't play loud. We micd up the whole kit for rehearsal. Sheer joy.

So what I'm saying is get another drummer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6681
    Drummer kicks off at 1.07....

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom