The photography thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:
    As I want to get into landscape photography I've been looking for a suitable lens, would the    Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM be suitable for a beginner? It states that it is a wide angle lens, is that what I'll be needing?
    I've ordered the lens, I couldn't not as it was a great deal! I went to slr hut where I bought the camera and saw that the lens was the cheapest on the net and then to top it off there was a £20 off offer on all orders so it was only £185 all in, not bad at all. I've also ordered a polariser and I am looking for a reasonably priced nd filter. I think that's it for spending for now, now I just need the free time to get out and start taking photos.
    Do your research on filters, some are not so neutral.  Meaning you get a tinge of green or purple into the photo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:
    As I want to get into landscape photography I've been looking for a suitable lens, would the    Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM be suitable for a beginner? It states that it is a wide angle lens, is that what I'll be needing?
    I've ordered the lens, I couldn't not as it was a great deal! I went to slr hut where I bought the camera and saw that the lens was the cheapest on the net and then to top it off there was a £20 off offer on all orders so it was only £185 all in, not bad at all. I've also ordered a polariser and I am looking for a reasonably priced nd filter. I think that's it for spending for now, now I just need the free time to get out and start taking photos.
    Do your research on filters, some are not so neutral.  Meaning you get a tinge of green or purple into the photo.
    Will do, thank you for the tip. There's a confusing amount of companies making filters, it's quite bewildering!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:
    Will do, thank you for the tip. There's a confusing amount of companies making filters, it's quite bewildering!
    Lee are considered the standard, there are cheaper.  Some are way cheap like under £10, and they can cause your photo losing sharpness and colour shift, a lot of the times you do what you pay for.
    zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:
    Lee are considered the standard, there are cheaper.  Some are way cheap like under £10, and they can cause your photo losing sharpness and colour shift, a lot of the times you do what you pay for.
    Are the variable nd filters any good or should I stick to standard set filters? The more I search the more I see these adjustable filters but am a little dubious as to whether they are just a bit of a gimmick.
    zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:
    Are the variable nd filters any good or should I stick to standard set filters? The more I search the more I see these adjustable filters but am a little dubious as to whether they are just a bit of a gimmick.
    Variable filters are prone to the X pattern problem at certain rotation.  Variable is basically 2 pieces of glass with different strength stacked and as you twist them, the ND level increase or decreases so at certain point the lines of will cause a kind of X shadow on the photo.

It works but you got to know this can be a problem.  

Variable filter is best for video work and in fact critical for video work but for photos single ND is considered best.  I do have one variable filter, a 77mm B+W 1-5 stop ND, it costs a small fortune at like £150 so a good one is not cheap.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    edited July 2018
    Ooh can I play. Been messing around with photography as a hobby since 2007. Started with Canon gear but use Fuji now. Not that the camera is particularly important. Here are a few of my current favourites.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    edited July 2018

Variable filter is best for video work and in fact critical for video work but for photos single ND is considered best.  I do have one variable filter, a 77mm B+W 1-5 stop ND, it costs a small fortune at like £150 so a good one is not cheap.

Sorry to disagree but i would never in a million years use a variable ND (basically 2 x polas) in place of a single 'proper' ND for video.

Vari NDs are soft, have much more pronounced colour casts and can introduce all sorts of artifacts.

They are basically the devil. Why have a £1,000 lens and put a shite cheap bit of glass in front of it unless it's deliberately to screw an image?

I've a fancy eye watering set of 4x5.65" NDs and grads for video and a basic Lee set for stills. 

And then you can't go wrong with a Big Stopper or (my preference for more neutral casts) a Firecrest 8-10 stop for long exposures. 

@Grumpyrocker love that last shot mate. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    soma1975 said:

Sorry to disagree but i would never in a million years use a variable ND (basically 2 x polas) in place of a single 'proper' ND for video.

Vari NDs are soft, have much more pronounced colour casts and can introduce all sorts of artifacts.

They are basically the devil. Why have a £1,000 lens and put a shite cheap bit of glass in front of it unless it's deliberately to screw an image?

I've a fancy eye watering set of 4x5.65" NDs and grads for video and a basic Lee set for stills. 

And then you can't go wrong with a Big Stopper or (my preference for more neutral casts) a Firecrest 8-10 stop for long exposures. 

@Grumpyrocker love that last shot mate. 
    I don't disagree with you that Single ND are better but I guess I should add that for video work, the level i am thinking at would be your Youtube vlogging level, not commercial level.  I personally hasn't used them (actually never used my B+W one since I bought it) but heard and seen videos with video through vari ND to no detrimental effects.
    edited July 2018
    Each one of my single NDs was over £350. 

To be honest youtube Vlogging is very very rarely anything to do with having good quality or production values as opposed to having (good or a lot of) content. I can probably count on one hand the number of channels that actually know what they are doing in that regard. 

EDIT: Moan over :)

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    I do use a variable ND for video. I'm not making serious films, just family stuff, but having the right shutter angle makes things look good and only an ND will get that in bright light. 

I do sometimes use a single 10-stop ND for effects on clouds and water. It wasn't hugely expensive but am happy with the results.

edited July 2018
    Yeah got to love a 10-stopper.. Ghosts on the lake

Jesus how do you link from flickr on this forum without it going mental?

I use imgur.
    edited July 2018
    Ah okay. Not uploading my personal pics to somewhere outside flickr.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26962
    You can upload from flickr. 

Click the share button (bottom right, swoop arrow symbol), selection the "embed" option, and the size you want (usually 800 wide is about right) then copy the text it gives you. 

Come back here, hit the </> button (top right of the edit box), paste in your text, and hit the </> button again
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited July 2018
    Tried that and got the weird aspect  ratio above, cheers.

Stormy night in Saigon

EDIT: Ooh it worked that time. Thanks

Ghosts on the lake

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:
    Tried that and got the weird aspect  ratio above, cheers.
    Try a direct image link then put it into the IMAGE IRL button.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26962
    It seems to bugger the aspect ratio on mobile, but is ok on desktop. 

The other option is to paste just the direct link from the embed link (the bit from http:// to .jpg") and use the insert image box in the forum
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Cheers chaps. 

Another question, is Photoshop the final word in photo editing software or is there something better tailored to beginners? I've done a bit of searching but it just keeps coming up with different versions of Photoshop.