The photography thread

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6685
    Lightroom is loads easier and faster to use than photoshop. 99% of my stills don’t get any further processing. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12358
    I use an older version of Corel Paintshop Pro. Does everything I need, has sone really good features like fade correction for restoring the colour to old washed out photos and is simple to learn. The latest standard version is only £35 on Amazon (don’t worry about getting the Ultimate version, it seems to have lots of unnecessary add ons). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26942
    soma1975 said:
    Lightroom is loads easier and faster to use than photoshop. 99% of my stills don’t get any further processing. 
    This. I have literally never used photoshop, apart from the iPad PS Express app, which is literally just for removing blemishes and the odd piece of rubbish in the background. 

LR is awesome
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Lightroom is a superb all round photo management program..  

I prefer Affinity Pro when editing on iPad Pro w/ Apple Pencil which is 90% of how I edit pics now.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    I use Affinity Photo on Windows almost exclusively now. Though if a RAW file needs some tricky tweaking I'll use Capture One or RAWTherapee.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you for the advice so far, I've had a look at Lightroom and Amazon are selling versions 5 and 6, Lightroom 5 is significantly cheaper at nearly half the price of 6 but I'm not sure whether the extras that 6 comes with are worth the £110 asking price. Any advice as to whether I should go for 5 or 6 would be much appreciated, thank you.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    zepp76 said:
    Thank you for the advice so far, I've had a look at Lightroom and Amazon are selling versions 5 and 6, Lightroom 5 is significantly cheaper at nearly half the price of 6 but I'm not sure whether the extras that 6 comes with are worth the £110 asking price. Any advice as to whether I should go for 5 or 6 would be much appreciated, thank you.
    6 is better, but 5 is absolutely fine if your new to it. The one thing to check is that 5 supports the files that will come out of your camera. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    zepp76 said:
    6 is better, but 5 is absolutely fine if your new to it. The one thing to check is that 5 supports the files that will come out of your camera
    Yes, files and lens profiles as you add to your lens collection. Just to mention, stand-alone Lightroom 6 is still available (just) but Adobe have for some time now ‘encouraged’ customers to move to Lightroom CC which is subscription based @£10pm. Some customers have embraced the change and others have protested.

I use LR6 almost exclusively for processing and cataloguing RAW files. I frequently use the NIk Collection plug-ins with it -  particularly Silver Efex Pro for monochrome images. Having just picked up a Fujifilm XE-3 as a more discrete ‘pocketable’ alternative to my prosumer DSLR I’m wondering if/how Lightroom 6 will cope (if at all) with the Fuji’s files. Does anyone here have any experience of that?

As regards other processing software, I did use DxO OpticsPro for a while and found it had some very appealing features but I just slipped back into using LR mainly because it’s cataloguing is second to none.
    re the LR CC package, I resisted until I got a decent iPad and now I wouldn't be without it. It's just stupidly powerful and I can work on photos however I want/need without having to have a laptop with me
  • re the LR CC package, I resisted until I got a decent iPad and now I wouldn't be without it. It's just stupidly powerful and I can work on photos however I want/need without having to have a laptop with me
    And yet when I got an iPad Pro and started using Affinity I actually paid half the subs to get out of my CC package because I wasn’t using it..

just shows why why there are different programs out there, a bit like iOS and Android, this is why it’s best to sample them all.
  • re the LR CC package, I resisted until I got a decent iPad and now I wouldn't be without it. It's just stupidly powerful and I can work on photos however I want/need without having to have a laptop with me
    And yet when I got an iPad Pro and started using Affinity I actually paid half the subs to get out of my CC package because I wasn’t using it..

just shows why why there are different programs out there, a bit like iOS and Android, this is why it’s best to sample them all.

Does affinity compare more to photoshop or Lightroom? I could maybe be convinced to switch if its replaces Lightroom...
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    What are the main advantages to having editing software? As of a week ago I wasn't even aware you needed software! I thought you just uploaded your photos to your pc and that was it. What are the kind of things I will need to look at editing in my photos? Any tips and tricks are much appreciated, thank you.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    zepp76 said:
    What are the main advantages to having editing software? As of a week ago I wasn't even aware you needed software! I thought you just uploaded your photos to your pc and that was it. What are the kind of things I will need to look at editing in my photos? Any tips and tricks are much appreciated, thank you.
    1 - You need it if you shoot RAW.  Why do you need to shoot RAW???? That's a can of worms.  Put it this way, RAW is a file that holds the maximum amount of information for a photo, so basically your photo can be the best quality that it can be.

2 - You can save a photo in post, clean it up.

3 - You can turn it into Art.  Adjust exposure, contrast, etc

4 - You can make it your own, have your style.

zepp76 said:
    Your camera can produce photos as jpegs or RAW or both. JPEGs have already been processed in the camera so, yes, you can just upload them to your pc and job done. The jpegs will be perfectly adequate for social media. However, uploading RAW files of your photos to your pc and then editing them in software such as Photoshop will (depending on your skill) almost always result in better quality images than the in-camera jpegs. You also have the opportunity to modify the images, e.g. removing unwanted items. How much you can do to your images depends on the editing software.

Bear in mind also that the more photos you take the more it will be necessary to catalogue them in some way so that you can easily find them in the future. This is where a program like Lightroom is so helpful as it has an excellent cataloguing system.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Perfect examples @RaymondLin. In this case pictures really do speak a thousand words.
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Is the picture on the left before compression (RAW with JPEG as the after) or is it before and after software manipulation? I prefer the one on the left.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Question - I have been trying to make a real effort to improve my (zero) photography skills. Amongst other things I find I just don’t have the eye to see a shot. I’m snapping loads and getting a few decent images but it is definitely more luck than management. In short I’d love to improve my “artistic eye” is that something that people on here think is doable or is it just one of those things that you either have or you don’t. 

In other news I went to Blackpool last night to try and get some nice sunset stuff and bumped into an old guy wandering up and down the front. We had a proper chat and he gave me LOADS of tips. So shout out to that guy for being incredible! 
    How very rock and roll
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3138
    tFB Trader
    Question - I have been trying to make a real effort to improve my (zero) photography skills. Amongst other things I find I just don’t have the eye to see a shot. I’m snapping loads and getting a few decent images but it is definitely more luck than management. In short I’d love to improve my “artistic eye” is that something that people on here think is doable or is it just one of those things that you either have or you don’t. 

In other news I went to Blackpool last night to try and get some nice sunset stuff and bumped into an old guy wandering up and down the front. We had a proper chat and he gave me LOADS of tips. So shout out to that guy for being incredible! 
    Type 'photography rule of thirds' or 'golden ratio' in YouTube and watch a few videos on each.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

Does affinity compare more to photoshop or Lightroom? I could maybe be convinced to switch if its replaces Lightroom...
    does not replace LR, nothing does IMO for overall photo management, but Affinity on iPad (especially Pro and Pencil combo) is unbeatable if you ask me.

editing with Affinity can be as basic as LR or as advanced as PS