Cover of A Forest, The Cure

What's Hot
SnapSnap Frets: 6264
edited July 2018 in Making Music

One of my favourite tracks, so I attempted a quick guitar only cover of it, all feedback appreciated!

The bass is the rather lovely Stingray that Bridgehouse sold me, and I love it, its a real beast. DI'd straight in, with a almost nothing on it apart from EQ rolling the lower end off a bit.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    Disclaimer : I fucking love the Cure and nothing is ever going to come close.

That out of the way ... I think you've done a really nice job on this. It was never going to be easy, but I think you've got everything balanced really well and the space is filled nicely.  Possibly too well if I'm honest as it's missing a little of the air the original has ... if that makes sense.

Imitating Robert Smith, that's never going to really be possible ... even for him nowadays ... but I think you managed a fine job of hitting the more usual melodic notes he employs without veering into parody impression.

Yeah, enjoyed it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Yeah - it's a good Stingray, that one - was always good at that sound straight in. 

Great track as well... nicely done
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Cheers fellas!

@Bezzer - yes, I know what you mean about "air". I tried to get a bit more by tweaking the mics on the drums, but probably could have done something with the overall mix to get that.

Mimicing  HRH R Smith - you know, I wasn't aiming to do it, but there is a bit of that in there, the mimic. I just did a one take vocal tbh, then did some backing and hoped for the best. But listening to the original, I have copied quite a bit of his vocal, though I started off not intending to. Guess its down to having listened to that track so many times over the years, one of my faves. Sorely tested my breathing on the last of the vocals, the "again & again & again" bit!! Nearly fell over by the end of that! Went dizzy, ha!

@Bridgehouse - I love the Stingray mate. Its just the sound I always wanted, for years. So much attack and beef. So much so, I find that I have to roll the bottom off as it can be so big. Its still a bit too loud in the mix I think. Its great the way, to me, its just right, straight in, no faff.

anyway, thanks for the feedback. J

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    Firstly - nice sounding mix, great vocal sound.

Question: did you deliberately play it much slower than the original? The Cure is about 160bpm, you're only 125.

R.
    @robinbowes cheers, yes I did purposefully slow it down. Started off slower actually, but settled at 125.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28095
    That was excellent. A hint of same-era Killing Joke. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I like it. Its one of my favourite songs and thats a very good go at it. 

I think at that tempo, it might benefit from a slightly more expansive drum part. I'm thinking maybe a lot more toms, to give it a bit more oomph. 

thanks again. I'll have a think about toms. I'm always a bit wary of overdoing drums, well overdoing everything really tbh. On this track, I tried hard to rein it in in terms of tracks. So, there's only two guitar lines - the main electric, and the acoustic, oh, and a third line early on, doing the tremolo rhythm part. Most of it was one take too, though I think I did the bass line twice.

Vocals - used the Cakewalk Vocal Strip plugin, which comes with Sonar.

Killing Joke - I'll take that cheers Andi!

• GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    Surely if it's a cover of A Forest it should be called 'Leaves'?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28095
    Snap said:

Certainly meant as a compliment. Something about the vocals - not sound-a-like but a similar feel to them.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Snap said:

Certainly meant as a compliment. Something about the vocals - not sound-a-like but a similar feel to them.

I got Floyd from the vocals.
    Sporky said:
    Snap said:

Keith Floyd?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snap said:
    Sporky said:
    Snap said:

Keith Floyd?