Next project?

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10343
    tFB Trader
    The Sound of a 'Mudbucker' comes from it's design: it's a sidewinder, in that it has two coils laid on their side, with the magnets and pole screws between them ... it's also very hot. Basically you can build anything you like in a mudbucker case :-)
    Anything huh? I wonder if there's something that's never been done before to make one of those SG basses sound rather "unique"?
    The chief problem is in getting the covers ... I used to buy cheapo, Far Eastern Mudbucker copies, gut out the internals and rebuild them, keeping the nice covers ... but Artec seem to have stopped doing the Artec EBC4-CR

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    The Sound of a 'Mudbucker' comes from it's design: it's a sidewinder, in that it has two coils laid on their side, with the magnets and pole screws between them ... it's also very hot. Basically you can build anything you like in a mudbucker case :-)
    Anything huh? I wonder if there's something that's never been done before to make one of those SG basses sound rather "unique"?
    If you’ve just gone and built a P bass and put a Ric-alike pickup in it, then surely you should build a Gibson bass and put a Fender-style pickup in it. :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    mart said:
    If you’ve just gone and built a P bass and put a Ric-alike pickup in it, then surely you should build a Gibson bass and put a Fender-style pickup in it. :)
    Fender did do those Telecaster basses with those big humbuckers in...
    mart said:
    Yeah, but that’s kinda missing the point. You should go for something like a split coil P pickup in mudbucker casing - a really trad Fender style thing in an utterly non-Fender body.

You could save the mudbucker for when you build a 
    Ric-style bass. ;)
    mart said:
    mart said:
    Yeah, but that’s kinda missing the point. You should go for something like a split coil P pickup in mudbucker casing - a really trad Fender style thing in an utterly non-Fender body.

You could save the mudbucker for when you build a 
    Ric-style bass. ;)
    Eeeek! I shall put thought to that
    Later I expect to see a Musicman humbucker in a Dano long-horn, etc, etc.
    mart said:
    You might be waiting a bit... ;)
    mart said:
    Do you think the MM would suit a violin bass better?
    mart said:
    mart said:
    I reckon a trad Hofner staple would be good in a Stingray!
    mart said:
    mart said:
    I reckon a trad Hofner staple would be good in a Stingray!
    Yep, that has promise.

Or you could get @GSPBASSES to knock up half a dozen hollow ‘51 P bodies and put a different classic pickup in each.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ere, I’m not here just for the forums entertainment!

Er...
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    A RIC bass shape with P bass pickup and neck
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28120
    A Hello Kitty bass. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Why not cut out the tedious building and finishing? There is a very nice Warwick Streamer five stringer listed in Basses £ by a new joiner from Poland. ;) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Funkfingers said:

very nice Warwick Streamer five stringer
    Oxymoron.
    Are you suggesting that it is a sadbass? ;)
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    maybe go a bit mad or exotic or iconoclastic? a fit of fancy? leave the well-worn path of fender and gibson and look at something 'special' like an ovation magnum, guild jetstar, gretsch billybo.

http://www.ovationtribute.com/Catalogues/Magnum Bass Owner Manual/Magnum Bass Owner Manual 2.jpg
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10343
    tFB Trader
    This weekend my own testing starts: I'm ready to cut the flatwork for the Jazz Bass bridge pickup 'Rick alike' which I shall build and install. I may then rout my JB (it's a copy, but a okay one) in the neck position to take a rick alike, giving me Rick neck, JB 'middle' and Rick bridge.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The triple R pickup idea might look more conventional in a body outline similar to the Fender Bass VI (but *corrected* for a 34" scale length). 

For just two R pickups, it would probably be worth commissioning a bespoke body with the pickup cavities in the appropriate positions and dimensions.
    @Bridgehouse What about a Rickenbacker 2030/2050 clone? All of the sonic advantages of brand R with none of the embarrassment of being seen wearing a 4003. At least the pickups would be in the correct places ... and still leave room for a Stingray pickup!  =)