2 Days of Digital - A Short Story - plus new OX day

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I work in IT and I specifically chose a THR10 over the iPad or PC interface because of the faff/distraction factor. Could be a missed opportunity, but my playing had improved since I got the Yammy. There's nothing like a properly designed single-purpose device, despite what techies might try to tell you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Fuck me, I spoke too soon. Time to try the software I thought, I’ve been trying for over an hour to fire up the app, it’s buggy as hell. Finally got it to see my wi if but now won’t let me register. It’s really poor. I’ll try again tomorrow night as the presets sound so good. If not it fails the easy test and it’ll need to go back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s a shame especially if the presets are good.

Ive got the UAD Apollo platform and the software and registration has been ok, shame if the Ox doesn’t come up to the same standard.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11567
    tFB Trader
    I got shot of my Kemper because as brilliant as it was it encouraged me to fiddle with sounds rather than concentrate on playing guitar, and right now I want to concentrate on the actual playing during my leisure time.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That’s a shame especially if the presets are good.

Ive got the UAD Apollo platform and the software and registration has been ok, shame if the Ox doesn’t come up to the same standard.

I got it working but I had to register with my Mac, just wouldn't work on the iPad. If I didn't have my Mac I would have been screwed, so pretty disappointing here for a high end product - I have read some other stories of issues of getting the app set up. Once set up, the app is great though so back to being a happy man. The post effects (reverb / delay / comp) are stunning too.
    I got shot of my Kemper because as brilliant as it was it encouraged me to fiddle with sounds rather than concentrate on playing guitar, and right now I want to concentrate on the actual playing during my leisure time.

Definitely. Wit the OX once I've tweaked and loaded the 6 slots on the front panel with cabs and effects I'm happy with, I'll probably leave the app well alone for this very reason.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Dan,

Might be a dumb question this... can you use the delay/verb/comp etc via the real cab speaker ?

Also, how does it sound as an attenuator ?
    Dan,

Might be a dumb question this... can you use the delay/verb/comp etc via the real cab speaker ?

Hey Waz, no, the verb, delay, comp is only on the line and headphone outputs, not to cab. But you know what, it makes sense to me, I’ve not been one for huge reverbs (though like a bit of delay) when playing loud, gets mucky, but in the cans it sounds awesome, and what is taken away by the visceral experience of amp in a room, is replaced by an emersive and equally inspiring sound. Still sounds like my amp and pedals, and reacts the same, but also different - the two experiences should be treated slightly differently in my book, as one simply can’t replace the other.
    Haven't really experimented with the attunator yet other than fully attenuated for headphones, or fully not for amp.

Despite the app connection issue above, another hour with it tonight and I’m a little bit in love with the OX. Same as a lot of things in life, the outlay is hard to stomach but long after the money is forgotten, you have something pretty special at the end of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018
    Dan,

Lovely explanation, thanks mate.

I love the sounds on this demo...

https://youtu.be/SHYGFTTrJvQ
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    edited July 2018
    I like the OX an awful lot. We had loads of fun making this recently: https://youtu.be/oYK_5jhCWCQ
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    chrisv said:
    I like the OX an awful lot. We had loads of fun making this recently: https://youtu.be/oYK_5jhCWCQ
     Chris, that is probably the best Ox video I’ve seen - brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan,

I do like the look of the OX, but I share your digital frustration at times...

The BIG problem with all digital/modelling IMHO is that

i.) I have to learn a completely new  language, which I cant understand, but everyone else seems to understand. They then speak to me ( a newbie) in this language, and the frustration continues...
    after months of learning and understanding more, I then start to use this weird language too !!!

ii.) The costs/ rabbit hole begins to increase. Ive just bought a passive £600 speaker to use with my Kemper. Both brilliant and matched, but...

This morning I simply plugged my Strat into the Rambler. Job done.

Yep, I'm having a bad digital day !!!!!
    Kemper not hitting the spot, mate?
    Must admit, I felt the opposite, I am more plug and play now than ever. Only setting I ever tweak are delay and reverb. Managed to find my core tones within a fortnight and rarely try new profiles. When I do, I always gravitate back to the usual ones.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Dan,

i.) I have to learn a completely new  language, which I cant understand, but everyone else seems to understand. They then speak to me ( a newbie) in this language, and the frustration continues...
    after months of learning and understanding more, I then start to use this weird language too !!!

ii.) The costs/ rabbit hole begins to increase. Ive just bought a passive £600 speaker to use with my Kemper. Both brilliant and matched, but...

Must admit, I felt the opposite, I am more plug and play now than ever. Only setting I ever tweak are delay and reverb. Managed to find my core tones within a fortnight and rarely try new profiles. When I do, I always gravitate back to the usual ones.
    Just a bad hair day mate !!!

No, the Kemper is wonderful, and that new Red Sound speaker is superb. 
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    Thanks @Wazmeister! :-)
  • Dan,

Just a bad hair day mate !!!

No, the Kemper is wonderful, and that new Red Sound speaker is superb. 
    You're not alone fella, we all get those days :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    A quick one-minute record of a clean, mid gain and fuzzy lead sound, recorded direct to iPad video whilst my 2 year old was napping and wife was asleep on the sofa. Delay and reverb courtesy of the OX, and slightly overdone but why not. No effort put in at all so it ticks the ease of use box.

https://youtu.be/CDSwFM0Tqvw

Dan,

Waz, I tried the attenuator yesterday and have to say it changed the sound too much for me. I’ve never used one before so not sure how it compares to the competition, but it takes of too much high end off on all but the least severe setting. I don’t need it other than for complete silence though as the headroom knob on the Sportsman does a great job.
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    dindude said:
    A quick one-minute record of a clean, mid gain and fuzzy lead sound, recorded direct to iPad video whilst my 2 year old was napping and wife was asleep on the sofa. Delay and reverb courtesy of the OX, and slightly overdone but why not. No effort put in at all so it ticks the ease of use box.

Sounded really great.  Your 'fuzzy lead sound' put me in mind of a more articulate Eric Johnson lead tone.  The Ox seems to be a very versatile unit, not just a one trick pony.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    Thanks Dan...

Sounds great on the video mate :+1: 
    Well, I’ve dipped my toe into the Ox (so to speak) and it is a very VERY impressive device...

Im gonna trial it properly before any further lyrical waxing...