Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster

What's Hot
markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
edited July 2018 in Guitar
Hey all, I might have the opportunity to do a trade for a J Mascis JM but have read a few differing reports. Has anyone got one, or played one that can give me a bit of the lowdown as to how good they are, and whether they are Jazzmaster-alike at all? I think the pickups are P99s so it may not sound that close to a traditional JM but I guess they could be swapped down the line?

I’d be getting rid of my Gretsch Electromatic ProJet that’s been heavily upgraded so want to make sure the JM is worth it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I played one in a shop, once. I was trying various offset guitars. It was great. I should have bought it!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    They are generally good guitars. 
    Like you say the pickups can be swapped and you may want to upgrade the wiring and pots too.

The question is price as you can get a better mim offset between 400 - 500. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    usedtobe said:
    I played one in a shop, once. I was trying various offset guitars. It was great. I should have bought it!
    Yes, I'd have bought the one I tried but it had had a pretty damaging trip to the floor before I saw it.

The one I tried was a Squier though not a Squirt ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have one. It now has AVRI pickups & a mustang bridge. Plays well & sounds good. 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    I have one, they are really nice guitars but change the bridge and pickups.  I put on a set of Mojotone 59 Jazzmasters and a Staytrem Jazzmaster bridge.
  • If you're not sure about the white, the Squier Jazzmaster deluxe is (apparently) essentially a Mascis JM but in red... And they're £285 new! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    usedtobe said:
    I played one in a shop, once. I was trying various offset guitars. It was great. I should have bought it

Don’t know what you mean! ;)

So it seems they need some upgrades over stock then. Trade value is around £350 give or take so probably need to budget another couple of hundred? 
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    They are well loved over at http://www.offsetguitars.com/  plenty of Mascis threads there.
    If you're not sure about the white, the Squier Jazzmaster deluxe is (apparently) essentially a Mascis JM but in red... And they're £285 new! 
    Hmmm....that’s tempting!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you're not sure about the white, the Squier Jazzmaster deluxe is (apparently) essentially a Mascis JM but in red... And they're £285 new! 
    Hmmm....that’s tempting!
    I know! 
    I intended to go to Glasgow to get one today, but I bought a pink SG Jr thing this week, so my quota is full! 
    usedtobe said:
    I played one in a shop, once. I was trying various offset guitars. It was great. I should have bought it

Don’t know what you mean! ;)

So it seems they need some upgrades over stock then. Trade value is around £350 give or take so probably need to budget another couple of hundred? 
    Not sure if it is across the board but @Flanging_Fred brought a Squier to Woking which had a stock Squier pickup and it sounded excellent.

I suspect the stock pickups are fine to at least START with.  If someone already has a favourite brand they are bound to put those in.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    The problem with the stock pickups is that they are more P-90 than Jazzmaster.  They have screw polepieces and bar magnets underneath.  Jazzmaster pickups have rod magnets and are much more Fendery sounding.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    If you're not sure about the white, the Squier Jazzmaster deluxe is (apparently) essentially a Mascis JM but in red... And they're £285 new! 
    Hmmm....that’s tempting!

I played one in GG a while back - very nice indeed. Up there with MIM quality with the frets well finished. Can't comment on the trem as I played the hardtail version.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    @GavRichList had one and upgraded it. 
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849
    PhilKing said:
    The problem with the stock pickups is that they are more P-90 than Jazzmaster.  They have screw polepieces and bar magnets underneath.  Jazzmaster pickups have rod magnets and are much more Fendery sounding.
    That makes it a little more attractive to me.
    Wolf in sheeps clothing and all that.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    RMJ said:
    That I did. Changed every last little bit of it. Was only ok. 
    RMJ said:
    Hmmmm. Not promising.
    RMJ said:
    Hmmmm. Not promising.
    Well it depends what you want doesn't it?

Pretty much all that would be left if @GavRichList changed everything that could be changed would be the neck and the body. 

The body will just be what it is.  Squier necks are very thin and easy to play, but if you want a fat or wide neck then you will not be happy with a Squier.  Same if you want a nitro finish, it doesn't bother me but if you hate a thick coat of poly then you will dislike almost all Squiers.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    The neck is unique to this guitar. It’s actually not particularly thin, and it has a satin finish... it feels almost plastic. Frets are big ol boys too. People rave about the neck. It is comfortable, but as I say, oddly plasticy. The body is fine, though if I recall it was pretty heavy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    @markslade07 is it a jazzmaster you are looking for in particular?