Misha Mansoor Recording Demo

What's Hot
This is cool to watch, even if you don't record.  Lots of great tips.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Cheers, Sweetwater generally do a great job with their videos.  Really like the Mitch ones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited July 2018
    I hate to be a stickler but about 9 mins in when describing the use of a HPF on a bus compressor he said 'ignore the low frequencies... don't compress those.. so it is basically sidechaining the low frequencies'.

That isn't why you use a HPF on a compressor and that isn't what a sidechain is either.
    You use a HPF so that the compressor ignores the low frequencies for triggering the compressor, not so that it doesn't compress the bottom end.
    They are two different things.
    Using a HPF wil still compress the entire  [track/mix/whatever] but it will just ignore anything set below (in this instance) 74hz HPF setting and anything below that frequency but over the threshold will not trigger the compressor.

If it was not compressing the low frequencies then you'd be using a multiband compressor.

And a side chain is a 3rd different thing- which is where you use a 2nd signal (such as snare) to key the compression on the primary track- for sample a snare hit triggers a, say, 2-3db reductions on the guitar track making room for the snare to be heard for a brief period.

I see these mistakes a lot in videos done by people who are essentially self-taught- they misuse some of the terms and rely on the audience not knowing when they are doing this.
    I'm not saying he can't get good results working his way but the terminology actually matters when you are trying to teach people things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Haven't watched it, this is a HPF on the compressors controls rather than an EQ first then a compressor? Assuming the latter I guess its like an analogy to side chaining in that you are triggering the compression from something else. Take you point about confusion but conceptually it sounds like he is achieving something very similar to the effect of side chaining. 

I havent watched the vid though so I might be talking guff. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited July 2018
    He is referring to the HPF on the Slate emulation of the SSL bus comp.
    The original doesn’t have it but the Slate emulation does and is much more useful for it.
    you can see him point to it in the video.

Unfortunately he is simply confusing terms here.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    You guys need to get out more  =) 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I haven't watched the video but from what you guys are saying I believe he would be correct to call it a sidechain - basically a control signal whether it originates from an external source or from inside the plugin. The purpose of the HPF is to prevent the compression triggering excessively on bass heavy material. It does sound like he doesn't really understand it though.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Yeah, I think it's pretty common to talk about an "internal sidechain" when getting a compressor to act on a filtered variation of the signal it's actually working. But Octatonic's right that the guy shouldn't think that means the compressor stops compressing the low end. Though the practical effect of it *is* that the low end can bloom a bit more, since the compressor's not triggering from it as much any more. That's my experience of Mix Bus compression, anyway.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Ok so some of Misha’s tips are a bit misleading. :-D
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806

There's only one thing that's important:

Does it djent? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

There's only one thing that's important: