SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - 1957 Martin 0-18 All original, great player

What's Hot
Andy_StringsAndy_Strings Frets: 207
edited August 2018 in Acoustics £

SOLD - 1957 Martin 0-18 - SN - 153730

REASON FOR SALE - I was born in 1964 and bought this from a very well known international touring player who sold it to me as a '64.   I should have checked but I was too giddy at finally finding my birth year guitar.  I'm gutted to be selling as it's a real gem but that money was earmarked for a '64 and so sadly, it needs to go back in the bank.

This is genuinely one of the sweetest sounding “single 0” guitars I've ever played. Mahogany back, sides and neck, it appears to be an Adirondack red spruce top,  Brazilian rosewood for fingerboard, bridge and peghead overlay and pearl dot fret markers.

I can't see any evidence of previous repairs (not even the usual pick guard shrinkage crack) but I'm a player not a dealer so you are welcome to inspect the guitar before buying.  Original tortoise pickguard. Brazilian Rosewood bridge does not seem to have been shaved, the action is very good (2.4mm bass E 12th fret) and there is lots left in the saddle.  Original tuners and no signs of them even being off.  Frets are good with plenty of life left in them.

This is a wonderful sounding guitar, with lots of punch and good balance. For a small body guitar, it has lots of volume and sounds good fingerpicked or flatpicked. It is fitted with an active piezo pickup and a sound hole volume control (both work perfectly).

Comes with the original hard case - but that is no good for shipping so it's collection only or if you can arrange to get a case to me, I'll ship it in that.

'There are plenty more guitars in the sea'
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12348
    Was it bl''dy clapton, that would be him all over : )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy_StringsAndy_Strings Frets: 207
    Ha, not Mr C, no - but I have played Tears in Heaven on it if that counts?  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    Have a wow!.............beautiful!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2040
    That looks a lovely guitar. I have just bought a 64 D-28 would you believe!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    CMW335 said:
    I've got some really nice acoustics but I promised myself a '64 Martin years ago.  How's the D-28? - is it a keeper?

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2040
    CMW335 said:
    I've got some really nice acoustics but I promised myself a '64 Martin years ago.  How's the D-28? - is it a keeper?

Arriving Tuesday but I am hoping so although 50s/early 60s J200 was my actual target and still hoping to get there
    Dang, another one I missed.  I hope you'll let me know if you decide to sell it.  I'll see if I can find a nice J200 to tempt you!
    Tuesday Bump
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    If you want a ‘64 I might be selling this near mint 1964 Epi Frontier (Gibson Dove but better). It honestly sounds like the best dread you’ll ever play and has a nice thick neck profile.
  • If you want a ‘64 I might be selling this near mint 1964 Epi Frontier (Gibson Dove but better). It honestly sounds like the best dread you’ll ever play and has a nice thick neck profile.
    That looks very clean.  I hadn't thought of an Epiphone, let me know what you're thinking. 
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    If you want a ‘64 I might be selling this near mint 1964 Epi Frontier (Gibson Dove but better). It honestly sounds like the best dread you’ll ever play and has a nice thick neck profile.
    That looks very clean.  I hadn't thought of an Epiphone, let me know what you're thinking. 
    See my FS thread on here, put it up today.