Who buys what?

What's Hot
pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
I play bass in a seven-piece. One of the vocalists looks like she's going to ask for a whip around to buy XLR cables. Surely if she expects the band to pay for these there should be a kitty for paying for strings and skins?

Or people should just pay for their own.

Should I bring up PLI if there's talk of forking out more cash.

We've already stumped up for demo recording and publicity photos which I've had no problem with.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    What are the XLR cables for? The vocal mics? If so tell her to jog on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Is she Hot and available ! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Yes. Vocal mics. Wife of Guitarist.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Yes. Vocal mics. Wife of Guitarist.
    Yeah. 100% jog on. Unless she wants to contribute to your leads. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited July 2018
    Nah, she can do one. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    She can't use her Mic without one just as you can't use your bass without a lead ( or wireless before anyone says anything!) so she should cough up or do one.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    What kind if cable is she buying that needs everyone to chip in for.     Tell her buy her own.  
  • We all contribute equally if things need bought for the main PA  (cables etc) or for repairs to the main PA, as we all have an equal share financially in the PA gear. That's as far as it goes, if someone needs something for their own personal rig they buy it, simple as!!
  • If you have an agreement to pay for the PA and/or you use a mic, pay a share. If you don't and you won't be using XLR cables yourself, don't pay. It all depends on your response, doesn't it? From "piss off and buy your own gear like everyone else does, muppet" to a reasoned response about not contributing towards something you don't use.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    I play bass in a seven-piece. One of the vocalists looks like she's going to ask for a whip around to buy XLR cables. Surely if she expects the band to pay for these there should be a kitty for paying for strings and skins?

We've already stumped up for demo recording and publicity photos which I've had no problem with.
    Are you operating as a business? taking money for gigs? then all costs should be covered by the business and any payouts come out of what remains. so for me strings and skins requiring replacement should be covered, at least partly. XLR cables for use by the business should be covered.

Any item that is used elsewhere should only be partly covered, i.e. if your drummer plays in another band then the cost for new skins should be shared.

If you are just a bunch of friends jamming then buy your own XLR cable and ask the others to buy there own as needed or pay for a practice room that provides these basic things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    The band I'm playing in has a bank account for the band which everyone contributes to but its not used for equipment. Its used for recording, merch, practice room hire and fuel to shows. Everyone has to sort their costs for gear themselves.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Pay it happily.
    Then order yourself a brand new bass and send her an invoice.
    Sorted.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited July 2018
    How much are a couple of XLR leads? Wouldn't even cover the postage/insurance of a Vemuram Jan Ray never mind the amount you've probably already spent on your rig to make sure she (and the rest of your band) sound good. Unreal, typical singer..
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    edited July 2018

Are you operating as a business? taking money for gigs? then all costs should be covered by the business and any payouts come out of what remains. so for me strings and skins requiring replacement should be covered, at least partly. XLR cables for use by the business should be covered.

Any item that is used elsewhere should only be partly covered, i.e. if your drummer plays in another band then the cost for new skins should be shared.

If you are just a bunch of friends jamming then buy your own XLR cable and ask the others to buy there own as needed or pay for a practice room that provides these basic things.
    That`s actually interesting as it would by default put the band as a formal partnership (assuming you haven`t set it up as an LLP or a LTD CO). Allsorts of legal implications with regards to liability of partners for unpaid liabilities of other partners, incurred for the business............ guitar player buys a Tom Murphy aged R9 on finance and doesn`t pay it?.......... probably never happen but that would be the letter of the law I think. Not sure where partners would be if one failed to declare and pay tax on their share of the earnings - presumably the band should submit a partnership tax return?

Lawyers and accountants step forward..........

Like most other bands we work on the basis that the money goes 4 ways, and we are all paid gross - each of us then responsible for our own costs, tax and equipment. The singer supplies the PA, and all associated cables.