How often do you chaps change strings?

What's Hot
pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
I gig about every two months. 2 x 1hr sets. Rehearse once a week generally. Maybe two hours, at least half playing. Home practise anything from nothing some months to 10 hours a week.

I play mostly with fingers these days and change strings three times a year.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    three times a year ...
    ... whether it's needed or not.
    Be seeing you.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    With flats, I reckon it’s looking like 1-2 years per set. 

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Once per bass - to take the original strings off and put Thomastik jazz flats on. Then never again. Simples.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    I use Elixirs. Every 2 years or so for less-used guitars, max every 6 months for busier guitars 
    For classical guitars, not sure - not as long as that. probably 3 to 6 months

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    On the bass, hardly ever.  The current set have been on mine for 5 or 6 years as far as I can remember.  Didn't James Jamerson have the same set on for 20 years?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Electric - when I break a string I replace it. I hate the 'zing' of a new set, I prefer tired old strings. Bass, never.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    On bass- 2-3 times a year.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 373
    About every 5 years. My P-bass is due a new set, and I'll do it when I finally get round to replacing the pickups.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    I changed the strings on the Musicman when I bought it in 2013. I last changed the Ashbory strings in 2008. The NXT still has the original strings from 2014.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Whenever I'm working on someone else's bass and it needs new strings...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Whenever I'm working on someone else's bass and it needs new strings...
    So never then? 

Unless its still got that original set on from 1978 and they are rusty of course...
    Bridgehouse said:

So never then? 

Unless its still got that original set on from 1978 and they are rusty of course...
    I have actually never 'changed' the strings on my 4001. When I acquired it in 2013 there were no strings on it. I fitted it with a set and they're still on it...

I will change them if they wear out or go dead of course, but there isn't any sign of that yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

So never then? 

I have actually never 'changed' the strings on my 4001. When I acquired it in 2013 there were no strings on it. I fitted it with a set and they're still on it...

I will change them if they wear out or go dead of course, but there isn't any sign of that yet.
    Rounds or flats?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    When they start to sound dead, and bass notes sound flabby, they’re replaced.  I probably get through 12 sets of strings a year across six guitars.  
    Bridgehouse said:

Rounds or flats?
    Rounds - Rotosound Roto Bass, which are far superior to the more expensive Swing Bass in my opinion.

ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Rounds or flats?
    Rounds - Rotosound Roto Bass, which are far superior to the more expensive Swing Bass in my opinion.
    Do you clean them from time to time ?
    Bridgehouse said:

Do you clean them from time to time ?
    Not often, unless I've been playing somewhere hot. I don't sweat a lot normally though.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    edited July 2018
    No one boiling their bass strings then
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I tried it. Bit of a faff and I'm not sure I noticed a difference.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Measured in years not months. I've changed strings on 3 basses in the last 12 months, two of which were straight after being bought on ebay, and the other hadn't been played for 10 years and was getting a full overhaul.