Does this musical device have a name?

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4126
You hear classical players, and folk players like Martin Simpson do it a lot, and piano players too...

So the player plays a melody note, and then almost in free time arpeggiates the chord below it as a sort of ripple. The melody note often anticipates the beat so the ripple starts on the beat.

Does it have a name, and any tips for getting it sounding really nice?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    The way you describe it, it doesn't seem to be the same thing as "spreading" a chord - almost the opposite
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • vizviz Frets: 10646
    edited July 2018
    Are you talking about Debussy for example? That impressionistic textural harmony on the piano, like flowing water? 1:55 here:

https://youtu.be/ayqfENhLUwY

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    A piano teacher I once played with called it “arpeggiating a melody”. He hated it. He had a student who made money from doing it in a bar in a big hotel. She made more than he did, which he also hated.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    I think you mean playing a chord melody, but arpeggiating the chord after playing the melody note. It's sort of the same as playing a chord melody but instead of striking all the chord notes at the same time you play them separately (arpeggio).
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    carlos said:
    I think you mean playing a chord melody, but arpeggiating the chord after playing the melody note. It's sort of the same as playing a chord melody but instead of striking all the chord notes at the same time you play them separately (arpeggio).
    Yes, that’s it, coupled with hitting said melody note ahead of the beat so you hear it, and then the arpeggio puts the context around it on the beat. I guess it’s just a way of articulating the melody as opposed to being a specific device with a right and wrong way of doing it.

Thanks for all the replies folks