Universal Audio Apollo - Anyone Use One ?

I've been so impressed with the UA OX and the 'plug ins' that come with it, I'm even thinking now of getting a UA Apollo Twin.

Any users thoughts ? Are the plug ins really good ?

Cheers,
Waz

PS - currently using a Apogee Duet 2 (which is superb) but the Apollo adds optical in and of course, those plug ins :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xtedmanziextedmanzie Frets: 48
    edited July 2018
    I use and Apollo 8 Duo and Apollo 16mk2 - the plugins I've tried are mostly very good (not all) - depends what you're looking for. If you want to plug your guitar in and use the plugins realtime to record then it is good for that. UAD absolutely pummel you with offers to buy more plugins though!... My main gripe with the Apollo 8 duo is that it is a bit underpowered for running plugins considering the price, the quad would have been better.
    Fretboard trader feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/65502/
    Basschat trader feedback: http://tinyurl.com/8yevyl6
  • Hi @Wazmeister I think @octatonic is probably your best bet for a view on this as he's had both the UAD and AxeFx platforms to compare against.

I have an Apollo and am happy with it overall but some of the amp plug ins seem better than others. The Fuchs ones I found particularly disappointing when clean. 

I've been more impressed with the Fender Deluxe and Friedman plug ins.

The Apogee is a pretty high bar to come down from too - I seem to remember Octa's view being that if you're super fussy about converters the UAD stuff was OK for guitar but not as good as the very high end pro gear.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I have an Apollo Twin, it's a nice little portable interface but I don't end up using the plug-ins very much as I need to be able to open my projects on non-UAD systems. That said there are a few of the plug-ins that I think are really good and which don't have any obvious native equivalent, eg the Ocean Way Studios plug-in.
  • The plugins for effects are very good IMHO

I often use Ocean Way as a speaker sim and room reverb for my loadboxes and it is excellent for that.

Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • Take a look at the Antelope Zen Tour, I love mine, the conversion is better than the Apollo and the amp sims and fx are great. Overall the perfect interface for guitarists in my opinion! 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited July 2018
    Hi @Wazmeister I think @octatonic is probably your best bet for a view on this as he's had both the UAD and AxeFx platforms to compare against.

I have an Apollo and am happy with it overall but some of the amp plug ins seem better than others. The Fuchs ones I found particularly disappointing when clean. 

I've been more impressed with the Fender Deluxe and Friedman plug ins.

The Apogee is a pretty high bar to come down from too - I seem to remember Octa's view being that if you're super fussy about converters the UAD stuff was OK for guitar but not as good as the very high end pro gear.
    Great platform and some of the plugins are incredible.
    Particular things like the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor, the Friedman amp models, SSL Channels Strip, API and Neve modules.

I have an Arrow as my portable interface and it is excellent if a bit underpowered, but I have my Octo UAD2 here too and they work well together.

Conversion is better than most but not top shelf, but considering what you pay for them they are worth the money.
    Certainly won't be a downgrade from a Duet, but would be a downgrade from Symphony.
    Whether that matters depends on what you intend to do with the recordings.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Take a look at the Antelope Zen Tour, I love mine, the conversion is better than the Apollo and the amp sims and fx are great. Overall the perfect interface for guitarists in my opinion! 
    My experience of this wasn't quite so great -- nice concept and good value for money but the drivers just aren't reliable.
  • Very true - I've been lucky thankfully and had no issues but I know many others have had problems!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Take a look at the Antelope Zen Tour, I love mine, the conversion is better than the Apollo and the amp sims and fx are great. Overall the perfect interface for guitarists in my opinion! 
    Watched a few YouTube videos on it and thought the interface looked a bit dated.  I was surprised to see that it was released in 2016, it looked more old fashioned.